• Total voters
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
dont recognise the motorhome do you know if it has a specif make of electrical distribution systen?pictures might help
failing that you can go direct to the leisure battery via a controller

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
Kev
connect the panel to a solar controller, then the controller to the battery, simples
The controller will have a simple diagram,
You need a controller, don't connect the panel directley
Type of motorhome doesn't matter

simples(y)

ps welcome
:welcome3:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
We have a Sargent unit that states on it that it has a 'built in dual channel solar regulator for direct solar panel connection'. I was wondering how that can be connected to a solar panel so I will be following this

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
We have a Sargent unit that states on it that it has a 'built in dual channel solar regulator for direct solar panel connection'. I was wondering how that can be connected to a solar panel so I will be following this

There is another thread running right now detailing this.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I must ask why anyone would take the trouble to get good quality solar cable then feed it into a built in regulator to pass on via damp string and printed circuits to your battery.
Cut out the crap and go direct to battery via a "proper" regulator man enough for the job

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I must ask why anyone would take the trouble to get good quality solar cable then feed it into a built in regulator to pass on via damp string and printed circuits to your battery.
Cut out the crap and go direct to battery via a "proper" regulator man enough for the job

Absolutely spot on Geo ! (y)

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
Pioneer is an altentative badge for Autocruise from back in the day when they were independent and manufactured coach built MH's.

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
Simples but TOTALLY WRONG. Learn from JJ or destroy the battery.

post removed
Cant believe I'm wasting time on this thread
Just read Jims post about his daughter, puts things into perspective some what

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Thanks for the abrupt reply:p

Had the OP taken your advice the battery would probably have been destroy. Someone had to save the OP.

The "Learn from JJ" was intended for the OP though I did not make that clear enough.

Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
post removed

Cant believe I'm wasting time on this thread
Just read Jims post about his daughter, puts things into perspective some what

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
I was advised by Sargent when exploring fitting a panel that to no way connect direct to the main EC400 unit with anything greater than 80w. We have now 2x100w plus a standby 40w for the early and late months. Solely EL fridges demand it. Like most have advised regulator to batteries first.

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
Regardless. No current flows until the circuit is complete. So whether it connects the controller to the Panel or the controller to the Battery, there is no current flow until the last connection is made.

However, best advice would be to make the supply (panel) the last connection, and preferably the negative feed.

Geo`s advice to ignore the Sargent, and go direct with a decent solar controller with the capacity to manage the panel output would be the better approach, Voltage drop in cable is anathema when using low voltages!. (a load of 1A drops 0.0083V per M run @12v Nom) on 4mmsq cable.

Pete

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Regardless. No current flows until the circuit is complete. So whether it connects the controller to the Panel or the controller to the Battery, there is no current flow until the last connection is made.

However, best advice would be to make the supply (panel) the last connection, and preferably the negative feed.

Geo`s advice to ignore the Sargent, and go direct with a decent solar controller with the capacity to manage the panel output would be the better approach, Voltage drop in cable is anathema when using low voltages!. (a load of 1A drops 0.0083V per M run @12v Nom) on 4mmsq cable.

Pete
The reason the batteries should be connected first is so that a regulator that can charge both 12 and 24 V set ups, knows which voltage set up you have.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back