RS SPIKE

Free Member
Oct 8, 2014
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
ELDDIS SUNSTYLE 140
Exp
We have been motor homing for around 18 months now and i must say when we go out we enjoy it.

However i'm undecided weather to see up !!!!!

I'm just a bit disillusioned by it all at the minute,every time we decide to go away for the week/weekend the site is fully booked or nobody can return your email to confirm your booking,or when you go some where the local authorities are anti motorhome.

I did a calculation last night,adding everything up tax insurance,fuel etc and it works out at £62.00 per night to stay in the van not sure if that's reasonable or not ?????
So at the moment the motorhome is sat in the departure lounge :(

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Surely the longer you own it and the more you use it the nightly rate will come down. We very rarely use campsites and have no problem finding great stopovers here in Scotland.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

treetops1

Free Member
Feb 25, 2013
yorkshire/ lincolnshire.
Funster No
MH
Sold last van-
Exp
a long time,since 1996
I suppose it all depends how many nights you spend in it and how you value that time .We use ours quite a bit but not as much as some ,everyone is different , I cannot afford to run a Rolls-Royce so I do'nt have one lol.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RS SPIKE

RS SPIKE

Free Member
Oct 8, 2014
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
ELDDIS SUNSTYLE 140
Exp
I suppose it all depends how many nights you spend in it and how you value that time .We use ours quite a bit but not as much as some ,everyone is different , I cannot afford to run a Rolls-Royce so I do'nt have one lol.
i'm not saying i can't afford it,just asking if its value for money ?

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Go to France, they almost meet and greet you !!
This is the best advice , if you want to bring your nightly cost down, and get value out of your van, trying to get any sense out of British camp sites is just like knocking your head against a wall, similar is emailing anyone.
But cost per night isn't really what it's all about is it, it's doing your own thing where you want , when you want, if that isn't what appeals to you , you probably would be far better off with b&b somewhere or package tour.
But that's not motorhoming is it:(

Upvote 0
Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Bit late in the year now but join the Camping and Caravanning Club and use their Temporary Holiday Sites (THS) These usually cost around a tenner a night, facilities can be limited, but you've got everything you need on board and they're often within walking distance of towns and attractions and you don't usually need to book. We went to Cartmel racecourse on the spur of the moment and couldn't get on but there was another THS about 20 miles away that we went to, it's the only time in 7 years we've not got on a site. That should bring your nightly average cost down. (y)

Upvote 0
Apr 18, 2009
Englishman in Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584, A Class
Exp
Not long enough!
I'm in the CC and I've never booked, just turn up and take pot luck, if it is full there is always a sneaky lil wildcamp somewhere till they have room, never ever been moved on so have a go(y)

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
I did a calculation last night,adding everything up tax insurance,fuel etc and it works out at £62.00 per night to stay in the van not sure if that's reasonable or not ?????
So at the moment the motorhome is sat in the departure lounge

That seems expensive to me. We have had a week away in North Norfolk and all it cost was the diesel.
A night in the carpark at Whitby is £6.00, at night in Scarborough sea life centre is £6.00 or even cheaper - you just need to look around and be flexible.
Wild camping rules.

Upvote 0

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Pick up the phone and ring the site where you want to go .nearly always room . Email is a waste of time ..Roy
Never a problem booking in Skeggy, (y)

Upvote 0

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
Our best trips are usually Fun rallies, MMC rallies, overnight stops at places like Southport etc..
Over £10 a night and I start coughing... :Eeek: That's for 2 adults and often 2 kids in the van..
Campsites ?? I would really struggle to tell you when i last used a UK campsite...

Everyone's lifestyle and what they want is different.

ps.. What van you got.. ;) (just kidding)...(y)

Upvote 0

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Bugger that for a game of soldiers, if I sat down and worked out how much it's costing I would be in A&E
Same here. Although I guess as full timers we must get good value for money, but if I added up all the extras Colin has added, I think I would faint!! :Eeek:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
RS SPIKE

RS SPIKE

Free Member
Oct 8, 2014
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
ELDDIS SUNSTYLE 140
Exp
That seems expensive to me. We have had a week away in North Norfolk and all it cost was the diesel.
A night in the carpark at Whitby is £6.00, at night in Scarborough sea life centre is £6.00 or even cheaper - you just need to look around and be flexible.
Wild camping rules.
we love wild camping but every where we seem to go there are hight barriers,no over night parking etc etc !!!!!
don't want to park on the moors in the middle of nowhere,we like a bit of life pub or restraunt

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
If you really go into cost per night , its horrendous if you are not useing it to its full potential close on a grand a year for tax , insurance, and mot, that's before you add in fuel and serviceing say two grand all in, before you add in U.K. Ridiculous campsite fees, so say you use it for a month, that's £500 a week :Eeek: you could get an hotel in algarve full board for that,
No it's not worth it:crying:
But still keeping ours(y):)

Upvote 0

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
we love wild camping but every where we seem to go there are hight barriers,no over night parking etc etc !!!!!
don't want to park on the moors in the middle of nowhere,we like a bit of life pub or restraunt
Maybe Britsops would work for you? I think it's £16 for the book, no charge for camping and often in pub type locations where you can have a drink or meal as you see fit.

We joined it this year and although not used many, have certainly saved the cost in terms of what a site would have cost.

Upvote 0

Mel

Free Member
Oct 6, 2012
De Haan Belgium
Funster No
MH
Caravan LMC
Exp
Since 2010 Caravan since 1995
I have stayed on many pup car parks in the UK.
Never been refused.
All you have to do is have a drink or a meal.
One in Cambridge very near centre

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Join the C&CC or MCC. Lots of rallies and THSs, the vast majority of which you don't have to book.

Reactions: f6c
Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
At the end of the day, money is made round to go round. (y) I have just checked with the local undertakers, and no, there are nil pockets in a shroud. :)

Yeh but that's the Six Shilling Undertaker. Go to Celebrity Burials and you can have as many pockets as you want, you could even ride to Valhalla on you bike.

Upvote 0

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
We have been motor homing for around 18 months now and i must say when we go out we enjoy it.

However i'm undecided weather to see up !!!!!

I'm just a bit disillusioned by it all at the minute,every time we decide to go away for the week/weekend the site is fully booked or nobody can return your email to confirm your booking,or when you go some where the local authorities are anti motorhome.

So at the moment the motorhome is sat in the departure lounge :(

You have my sympathy and if in the same boat we'd be selling.
We rarely use our van in the UK but luckily we retired early so can spend approx 6 months a year in the van most of it abroad. If we could only tour the UK we would probably sell up, too expensive, crap weather and far too anti motorhome.

Upvote 0
Jan 8, 2013
Dronfield - Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Lyseo 690G
Exp
Happy FLT since 2011
Maybe Britsops would work for you? I think it's £16 for the book, no charge for camping and often in pub type locations where you can have a drink or meal as you see fit.

We joined it this year and although not used many, have certainly saved the cost in terms of what a site would have cost.

Ditto

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Cost:
Have to say that we could never have afforded the holidays we've had in the van if we'd had to use planes, hotels etc. neither could we have been spontaneous. Example, our first trip to Morocco included time spent in Spain and Portugal over a three month period and for which I kept accurate spending records. We don't think £35 per day for everything, excluding the vans fixed costs and depreciation, but including fuel, ferries, spending money etc. is expensive. That's for two of us.

Campsites:
Never book a campsite unless it's somewhere we "need" to be at a particular time - we just stop when we've had enough for the day and in over 7 years haven't yet failed to find somewhere. This includes UK, Europe and also Morocco - you've just got to have a little faith. Fully agree with the Britstops mention though, they appear to have come on in leaps and bounds since we bought their first book and will be getting the 2017 issue when it's published. Abroad there are similar schemes in other countries that Britstops was modelled on.

My point is, be a bit more open-minded; if you just look at problems you're never going to go anywhere and then your van is a very expensive garden ornament!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back