Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
What a racket these make . At 12 pm last night the German van opposite decide its bedtime , he gets out slide/slam off to the loo , she then gets out slide/slam off to the loo, he comes back slide/slam , she comes back slide/slam , he then decides to dump some rubbish slide/slam , he comes back slide/slam .
I know they are space saving but are very annoying also the German has set up between 2 motorhomes when the site is only about 10% full and theres space everywhere.
Sorry rant over they will hopefully leave tommorrow

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
You have my sympathy - I have a pvc with sliding door and am mindful of the noise. If I have to exit the van at unsociable hours I pull the door across but don't slam, I realise this doesn't close the door properly but I just press on the rear of the door to get it to close. Simples!!

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
You have my sympathy - I have a pvc with sliding door and am mindful of the noise. If I have to exit the van at unsociable hours I pull the door across but don't slam, I realise this doesn't close the door properly but I just press on the rear of the door to get it to close. Simples!!

Agree - no need for slamming at all. Slide quietly, push - click. Just keep the runners greased. A lot quieter than some hinged hab doors which we know need a good slam sometimes - and sometimes several slams:)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Not that it helps you, but some manufacturers have started fitting 'soft close' sliding doors to their PVC's

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
but are very annoying also the German has set up between 2 motorhomes when the site is only about 10% full

I thought that was a French trick. We've parked in French supermarkets, deliberately out of the way and can back to our door blocked for no reason other than lack of brain cells.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Brings back a comment my sister made after they'd bought their first Espace years ago. Contemplating which MPV to buy to tow their trailer tent, they'd been on a campsite parked alongside a Previa with the sliding door, drove them mad for two days and made their choice a lot easier.

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Sliding doors drive us bloody mad it seems to be compulsory if you own one to make as much noise as possible and slide slam at least every ten minutes. We make a point of trying to never park anywhere near one if we can help it.
Don't have too many dislikes but vans with sliding doors are right up at the top of the list.:eek:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
We had the same problem with this guy and his Hymer.(y)
Dust and noise everywhere when he arrived, then messing about with the steps..........I wouldn't have minded if he had been someone famous or whatever.:(

hitler.jpg

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I have a PVC and so really should not comment

BUT the Dutch neighbour in his PVC started sliding the damn door at 6.30am yesterday.

He must have banged it open or closed twenty times by eight o'clock. :(

Dec 4, 2014
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Been around the block a few times😉
Exactly what we do it's not the door it's the tossa closing it(y)

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Whenever we are parked up and a PVC arrives we pray that it won't park beside us.
However, we had one beside us on the Aire at Martel a couple of weeks ago and they were quiet as a mouse.
It must be the way the door runners are maintained and lubricated as well as how sensible the occupants are.

Richard.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I have a PVC, sometimes have to slam the door in order to get the doors locked for the night - the sliding door seems to be always the offender when they won't lock. Sorry, I am very conscious of this, and after seeing that the sliding door is properly closed, if I need to go out I go out the back door as that doesn't need slamming.

See @capinpugwash, you are not alone!!

BwB

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 3, 2011
Suffolk UK
Funster No
MH
Resting b'twix vans
Exp
Since 1990
We do the slow slide and push the back of the door to lock - during out of hours. Normally a lot quieter than the multiple slam "my hab door has bowed" many coach built motorhomes seem to do every time they enter/exit :)

As above, it's not the doors but the occupants. :whistle:

Tobes

Free Member
Oct 18, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Since2005
Campsites. Should adopt a similar policy to lorry parks all running fridges drive to a designated area and they can all listen to each other's fridge all night. We have an idiot near us double sliders both door and bike rack it goes non stop from early evening to early hours.DO THESE PEOPLE KNOW ARE THEY ALL DEAF.
Sorry to go on but these people do not consider others not everyone sits up till the early hours.
Whatever happened to a little campsite etiquette.

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Can't beat a good 'whizz-bang'

Just got the 'Sliding Doors' dvd out to watch this evening before I saw this thread! True.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Maybe we should have a poll ... What's worse? Slamming doors, screaming kids, yappy dogs or generators!

:reel::imoutahere:

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Maybe we should have a poll ... What's worse? Slamming doors, screaming kids, yappy dogs or generators!

:reel::imoutahere:

Its screaming kids another family have just joined them . I have 5 screaming kids parked next to us now , why would you bring small kids to a aire full of old farts nothing to do for them on a aire.

OP
OP
wanderer

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Must be the year of the sliders 4 vans turned up this afternoon all sliders all in my row or behind. Whats a KID ??

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
I thought that was a French trick. We've parked in French supermarkets, deliberately out of the way and can back to our door blocked for no reason other than lack of brain cells.

My understanding Brian is its part of the French driving test!!
Make sure to leave plenty of space for others in the car park NOT?
Another is parking at 45 degrees across two bays or straddling the white line perfectly under the centre of your car,that's what you need to do to get plenty of room to open your doors and not get the dents the french love to make in the side of your car or van.
Another part of the test is to see how close you can get behind the driver in front then make your overtake as close as you can to the bend,the oncoming truck or the solid white lines,the further you go over the solid white line the better NOT.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We changed to a pvc only three months ago, so we're conscious of the noise opening and closing the sliding door in the evening and early morning.

One tip I picked up is that having a rooflight or window adjar facilitates a softer closing - and it works!

Like others, we are careful to only pull the door to, rather than slam it, when we've popped out briefly.

Have to say, the big door is a revelation, bringing the outdoors in - often park the van so the sun just shines in through the door - lovely and toasty inside out of the wind. Then possibly re-park for overnight, sometimes positioning so the morning sun comes in the big door. Brilliant.

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
Another thread promoting the joys of off-site, free loading, motorhoming.

Choose campsites and get all the downsides to go with the benefits... and pay too! ;)

JJ :cool:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back