Updating an older MH....the done thing? (1 Viewer)

Oct 8, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Cheyenne 696SE
Exp
Hi all,

We have only recently acquired our first MH - a 2004 Autotrail Cheyenne 696se. We love it. However, we want to put our own stamp on it. Without really tearing into the interior - which doesn't really need doing - there are a couple of jobs I fancy taking on. I just wondered if I'd end up devaluing the MH rather than adding value to it? Are most MH buyers strictly traditionalists? Do they prefer things to be 'as standard'? and therefore I'd be better leaving well alone? Or would a few well executed modifications be just the tonic?

I'd like to carry out the following mods:

Replace the dated looking sockets and switches with new ones
Replace the kitchen worktop and sink unit with something more modern
Jazz up the cupboards somehow (suggestions or examples more than welcome!)
Re upholster throughout

Would I be upsetting the purists?

Has anyone done exactly what I'm thinking of doing and could you chip in with ideas and where to get things?

Any input gratefully accepted.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Echoing Figaro, as long as your improvements are done properly it won't affect the resale value.

However you've only just got it! Why worry about resale? Just do what YOU want.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
To be honest I would use it a bit first you might find it's not even the van for you or you might want completely different things done to this van.

............or a different van.......:whistle:

.........and welcome(y)

Upvote 0

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
I would be wary of altering any of the fitting as they are what those who purchase Autotrails expect when looking for one so by changing the look of the cupboard doors, and kitchen unit itself, you could seriously undervalue it in the future, however if you were to replace the actual kitchen worktop and sink to a more modern type/look that shouldn't make any difference so long as it is done well so as to appear 'original' in quality.

Changing the socket fronts etc though if they are the older creamy type for something more modern would certainly be an improvement. Re-upholstering including replacing the foam too may be an improvement too depending on your taste (!) but it may be better to get some removable covers made instead for the existing seats, that way you can get the 'new' look you want without the massive outlay for a refurbishment especially if there's nothing wrong with them anyway and it also preserved the original quality/materials.

Personally, I'd live with it for a while but if you want to do something now, instead of altering the 'fixed' bits, put in some new scatter cushions, replace the curtains (keep the originals just in case!) and some nice throws for the sofas and you'll be surprised at the difference just doing that makes.

Upvote 0

Deleted User
You could cover the cupboards with low tack vinyl. I have just finished off our latest update.
WP_20161017_14_38_53_Pro.jpg

Lin :)

Upvote 0
Aug 15, 2014
Exiled in Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote 600L
Exp
Since 2006
To be honest I would use it a bit first you might find it's not even the van for you or you might want completely different things done to this van.

Exactly my sentiments, it is not uncommon for people to decide that their first van is not exactly what they had imagined and they trade it in for another, and then another.
Enjoy it as it is for awhile I would say, have fun whatever you do.
Norman.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
The_Kraken
Oct 8, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Exp
I take on board all of your comments. We definitely will go slowly. The MH is in good nick but it has been a little neglected.

For example, every lock to every door aside from the Ducato cab, had no keys. I've spent a few quid replacing all of the locks (which were so seized up through lack of use that I had to get a locksmith in).

The reversing camera was kaput so I've installed a new one.

I'm going to tackle the pull out bed / sofas. They work ok but they're a bit clunky to pull out. I'm going to dismantle and reassemble and get them functioning a bit nicer than they do. I cannot believe Autotrail used a pair of kitchen drawer runners for the job! They look awful. So I'll find something that works a lot better.

The sockets are going. I hate them. Lol

The worktop I think I will end up doing as the wooden surround has a few knocks in it.

oh, then there's the awning which is about had it. I think it's an uneconomic repair so I'll source a new one before next summer.

I'd like. To install a new floor but I've aalready discovered that Autotrail built the furniture on top of the current flooring......so a careful cut around and trim job will do it.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
The_Kraken
Oct 8, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Exp
Exactly my sentiments, it is not uncommon for people to decide that their first van is not exactly what they had imagined and they trade it in for another, and then another.
Enjoy it as it is for awhile I would say, have fun whatever you do.
Norman.

Totally understand but this ones a keeper. We love The Kraken - we're just redocorating :)

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Has anyone done exactly what I'm thinking of doing and could you chip in with ideas and where to get things?

Not exactly of course. Total re-cover is just normal.
New sink, why not.
Electrics, dead easy.

We remodelled ours, took out 2 seats and created an L shaped lounge. Masses of electrical changes.

Link Removed
http://www.olearymotorhomes.co.uk/
http://www.magnummotorhomes.co.uk/en/

Upvote 0

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
With a van of that age it will not make much odds, do what you want to it. Different matter on a van only 2 or 3 years old then it could devalue it.

Upvote 0

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I was a guest in a 1988 Talbot this year, one which had been modernised very nicely.........With not much more then paint! Gone were the dark wood cupboards, now a fresh light blue, which completely changed the whole aspect of the van. Along with a few mods to the Luton bed, some fresh and cheerful coverings to the seats, a new fridge and hob top. Very nice it was as well.
At the end of the day, it's your good self who will spend the most time in it, along with your family. Sod everyone else, do it to your own tastes. It can cost very little to spruce up old and dated interiors. (y)

Upvote 0

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Hi.gif
@The_Kraken and a warm welcome from us. If you were to sell it at a later date I think most people would want a MH that looks well cared for rather than a tatty 'original'. You may upset a minority of purists but the majority of buyers would appreciate your renovations. Anyway, hopefully, that will be a long time in the future so, as long as you take care with your alterations, go ahead and make it as you want it to be.

Our elderly MH is like a second home to us and we like it be comfortable for us and not to satisfy some anal purist.

Upvote 0

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
I'm going to tackle the pull out bed / sofas. They work ok but they're a bit clunky to pull out. I'm going to dismantle and reassemble and get them functioning a bit nicer than they do. I cannot believe Autotrail used a pair of kitchen drawer runners for the job! They look awful. So I'll find something that works a lot better.

Please post photos and information once you have done this. As of yet Alan hasn't camd up with anything but don't think he's really been looking. I agree the runners are awful so once you find a better workaround I can show him.

Welcome to fun :)

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We had a solar panel and Alugas fitted when we first bought our current van, changed all the lights to LED and changed the curtains for practical ones instead of shams. Subsequently had a rear view camera fitted and had the dinette and cab seats reupholstered (with new foam).
I also took out the bulky table support (which allows it to be converted into a bed, which we don't need with just two of us) and put in a single central support which provides more leg room. I have, however, kept all the parts so that I can convert it back when we eventually sell it (as lack of second bed may affect the value).

Upvote 0
D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
I prefer excellent condition and original, even on a 20yr old van (possibly an anal purist :LOL:)
I also appreciate that many like to customise and renew to their own taste - so do whatever makes you happy, it's your van after all...

Upvote 0
OP
OP
The_Kraken
Oct 8, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Exp
View attachment 129387 @The_Kraken and a warm welcome from us. If you were to sell it at a later date I think most people would want a MH that looks well cared for rather than a tatty 'original'. You may upset a minority of purists but the majority of buyers would appreciate your renovations. Anyway, hopefully, that will be a long time in the future so, as long as you take care with your alterations, go ahead and make it as you want it to be.

Our elderly MH is like a second home to us and we like it be comfortable for us and not to satisfy some anal purist.

Brilliant - thanks for your reply! Exactly the kind of encouragement that I needed!

Upvote 0
OP
OP
The_Kraken
Oct 8, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Exp
Please post photos and information once you have done this. As of yet Alan hasn't camd up with anything but don't think he's really been looking. I agree the runners are awful so once you find a better workaround I can show him.

Welcome to fun :)

I definitely will.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
The_Kraken
Oct 8, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Exp
We had a solar panel and Alugas fitted when we first bought our current van, changed all the lights to LED and changed the curtains for practical ones instead of shams. Subsequently had a rear view camera fitted and had the dinette and cab seats reupholstered (with new foam).
I also took out the bulky table support (which allows it to be converted into a bed, which we don't need with just two of us) and put in a single central support which provides more leg room. I have, however, kept all the parts so that I can convert it back when we eventually sell it (as lack of second bed may affect the value).

Ahaa....sensible forward thinking - great advice - thanks.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
The_Kraken
Oct 8, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Exp
I prefer excellent condition and original, even on a 20yr old van (possibly an anal purist :LOL:)
I also appreciate that many like to customise and renew to their own taste - so do whatever makes you happy, it's your van after all...

Totally understand. I don't plan on anything too radical - I fully appreciate that what might appeal to me will look horrible to someone else. So I plan on keeping on the sensible side....and taking it slow lol.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
The_Kraken
Oct 8, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Exp
I already have. A search for "curtains" by hilldweller should find it because we went out for new curtain material and ended up rebuilding the MH.

Found it....and what a funny thread - love all the banter. Great job too! exactly the sort of thing that floats my boat. Thanks for sharing that with me.

Upvote 0

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Your van do what you want just accept that if you decide to sell it and have changed it too much the "anal purist" will hate it because they'll be looking for an original spec van and the "smart ass" will try and steal it because it's not original.
We have a 2002 van which we love and after looking at several new van this year have decided to keep it for a few more years so are spending a few quid on refurbs. Luckily we like the layout and design so are keeping it original, but would not hesitate to change it if it suited us.
@Lenny HB may have rained on your parade a little bit but he was correct in what he said at that age it's not going to make a massive difference to the value, ours is the same but if you're sure you intend to keep it just do it.:)
(y)
Good luck.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
The_Kraken
Oct 8, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Exp
Your van do what you want just accept that if you decide to sell it and have changed it too much the "anal purist" will hate it because they'll be looking for an original spec van and the "smart ass" will try and steal it because it's not original.
We have a 2002 van which we love and after looking at several new van this year have decided to keep it for a few more years so are spending a few quid on refurbs. Luckily we like the layout and design so are keeping it original, but would not hesitate to change it if it suited us.
@Lenny HB may have rained on your parade a little bit but he was correct in what he said at that age it's not going to make a massive difference to the value, ours is the same but if you're sure you intend to keep it just do it.:)
(y)
Good luck.

Thanks Forestboy, you make some good points. I'm not too wet from Lenny's rain and yes, he is right.

We are very new to MH'ing and how the 'community' works - it makes me laugh so much when other MHers wave at us....and we wave back!.

I did convert a 7.5 Iveco into a race car transporter with my brother a couple of years ago. I really enjoyed doing that so putting some personal touches to our own MH is something I'm looking forward to over the winter and inbetween weekends out and about. I don't plan on ripping it all out because we love the layout - just a few mods and refurbs here and there.

I just wished we bought The Kraken before Summer. Still, we have lots of trips planned next year already.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back