Free Member
Oct 11, 2016
lancs
Funster No
MH
autotrail cheyenne 660se
Exp
15yr
hi people I've just fitted a 100w solar panel straight to the ec325 charge unit in my auto trail Cheyenne and have read it splits the charge between the leisure battery and the vehicle battery by 50/50 split is there anyway of altering this I'd rather have more charge going to the leisure side.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Do not worry about it.
The 325 does not really split charge.. Rather, it charges the leisure batteries and once they have reached optimum switches over to top up the cab battery..
As soon as the leisure batteries drop the system will ( should ! ) revert to charging just those

However............

If you want to use an independent better quality controller just run the wires from the solar panel to your MMPT controller ( or what ever unit you get ) and from there down to the battery(s), thereby bypassing the solar control section of the Sargent system completely.

OP
OP
KARL BANNY

KARL BANNY

Free Member
Oct 11, 2016
lancs
Funster No
MH
autotrail cheyenne 660se
Exp
15yr
Right o I'll keep my eye on em the only reason I asked is because my last van had a separate solar control unit and I always had between 13.5v and 14v max in the leisure battery's with just a 80w panel maybe I'm expecting to much from the new panel and the lack of information the display gives I'll give it a while to see how I go with the batteries they are both brand new 105ah. And like you say I can always put my own separate control unit on if needs be cheers.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I too have the EC325 and a 125W S.P. wired into the factory fitted S.P. controller and as Jaws say's it sorts itself out. However, I have found you can manually change over the charge from the S.P. by switching the whole system off with the kill switch and then switching on again and the charge is then redirected to the other battery/s

OP
OP
KARL BANNY

KARL BANNY

Free Member
Oct 11, 2016
lancs
Funster No
MH
autotrail cheyenne 660se
Exp
15yr
Cheers I have another question in that when you run the engine the whole habitation side shuts down and you have no power in the rear. Is there anyway of overriding this so you could run engine to charge battery's and still be in the van using all the habitation side.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yes, but unless you are really in to electronics you will struggle. You COULD cut the orange wire going in to the 325 but that will also kill any charge going in to the leisure batteries from the engine.. I have actually fitted a relay which switches the water pump circuit over but left it at that.. We sometimes want the taps to work while on the move

Also, be aware the Sargent will not bring the battery voltage up as high as you are used to.
Mine cuts off and goes in to float charge mode at 13.4.. It will work ok though
I have 300w of panels on the roof so using the EC325 was never on the cards.. My controller cost a small fortune but does do an excellent job.
I added an EddieVanBitz auto change over ( very simple to fit ) to the system thereby eliminating the Sargent from the solar panel system completely

Feb 9, 2008
Corby, Northants
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Since 2007
I have a 2011 Autotrail fitted with an EC500 PSU and EC350 control panel inside the PSU is the Sargent 3 stage charger (PX-300 Intelligent battery charger). My charger, when on hook up will float charge at 13.6V (confirmed by digital multi-meter and NASA BM-! Bluetooth battery monitor). Also, I have a 120W suitcase S.P. (http://www.photonicuniverse.com/en/...ny-other-12V-system---German-solar-cells.html) and a quick connector wired directly to one of my leisure batteries. When I connect the folding S.P. the amount of Amps going into my leisure batteries doubles (Did not expect that with separate and different S.P.controllers, but chuffed to bits anyway).

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
Do not worry about it.
The 325 does not really split charge.. Rather, it charges the leisure batteries and once they have reached optimum switches over to top up the cab battery..
As soon as the leisure batteries drop the system will ( should ! ) revert to charging just those

However............

If you want to use an independent better quality controller just run the wires from the solar panel to your MMPT controller ( or what ever unit you get ) and from there down to the battery(s), thereby bypassing the solar control section of the Sargent system completely.

John

I have Mohawk and just replaced the standard controller with a Victron MPPT jobbie, are you saying it's less efficient going through the Sargent System then going direct to the batteries?

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The issue I have with the Sargent is that the cut off point is set too low.. It is not just mine but all those I have had to work on over the past few years.
A dedicated controller will, in my opinion, always be better than something that is designed to be multi function. ( No matter how well designed the unit is.. and Sargent kit is on the whole very well put together )

You should wire it thus:
Solar panels to your Victron
Victron to batteries
If you want the solar power to go to the cab battery 'on overflow' then invest in either a unit from Eddie ( Van Bitz ) or from Cak tanks

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/resources/sargent-ec500-smart-charging.192/

John

Apologies I went a bit off piste here as I have an EC500 Sargent unit, I have added to the resources a flow chart link above about it's smart charging capabilities and would value your opinion on this unit and if it would still be better bypassing the it. I do have a battery master going spare so I could easily go down the direct battery connection route.

I hope the OP doesn't mind me hijacking his post.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back