I've set the heating at 30° but... (1 Viewer)

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
surely there is another way to safely empty my Gaslow cylinder so I can transfer the system to a new van?

OP
OP
Sidney
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
There is only one valve that can be closed on the bottle (and that's on the feed to the regulator).

But the filler line (full of LPG) goes straight to the bottle, there is no valve. Undo the filler on the Gaslow system and you get a lot of LPG pretty quick.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I could be even more sensible and say" Why didn't you just close the valve" Would that be good advice coming from a female?:pray:
It all sounds good to me, just waiting for somebody that knows something I dont.

Martin

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
There is only one valve that can be closed on the bottle (and that's on the feed to the regulator).

But the filler line (full of LPG) goes straight to the bottle, there is no valve. Undo the filler on the Gaslow system and you get a lot of LPG pretty quick.
I thought there would be a non return valve in there.

Martin

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
there is a non return valve on the input

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016

As others have said there is a non return valve fitted to the inlet inside the bottle,, so just break the joint on the refill hose and let the gas is the hose dissipate , then fully unscrew the hose and the regulator hose :)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
If its like the gasit the non return valve only operates when there is a significant flow out be prepared for quite a loss of gas until it operates definately wear gauntlets as some very cold gas will escape and avoid naked flames!!!!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Twice in the last couple of months had cause to undo the filler pipe going to our Alugas system
First time was to replace the little flappy cap thing, and the second time to change it to a twin bottle system
Absolutely sweet fanny adams came out either time !

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Twice in the last couple of months had cause to undo the filler pipe going to our Alugas system
First time was to replace the little flappy cap thing, and the second time to change it to a twin bottle system
Absolutely sweet fanny adams came out either time !
I actually know a woman called Fanny Adams... she's married to a bloke called Richard.. it's true honest !

jonandshell

Free Member
Dec 12, 2010
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Not got one!
Exp
Since 2006
It'll just be the liquid in the filler pipe escaping.
A little liquid makes a lot of gas!

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I do not know about other systems but there is not a non-return valve in the actual filler of our Alugas system.. Only in the bottles

The minor downside is that when you fill up you actually loose a whole pipe full of gas ! ( so not a lot to say the least :) )
And of course should work have to be done on the system that pipe is completely empty

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
There should be a non return valve in the filler point so you should end up with gas trapped in the pipe between the filler point and the bottle. This will be what's escaping when you release the nut at the top.
Filler point valves can sometimes stick open.

OP
OP
Sidney
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
I had dropped Gaslow a line before posting on Fun.

I received a reply this afternoon...

"Thank you for your enquiry, there is a non-return valve in both the cylinder and the filler valve so you can disconnect the cylinder without fear of a gas leak – you may find there is still liquid gas in the filler hose but this is nothing to worry about."

I didn't think it through... If the filler was damaged in a RTA there would be a fireball without a non return valve :whistle:

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
When you undo the pipes there will be a hell of a lot of gas coming out. If you just crack the pipe a little it will take ages to finally clear.

Joe

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I do not know about other systems but there is not a non-return valve in the actual filler of our Alugas system.. Only in the bottles

The minor downside is that when you fill up you actually loose a whole pipe full of gas ! ( so not a lot to say the least :) )
And of course should work have to be done on the system that pipe is completely empty
Me thinks it's about time you replaced your inlet. Sounds very dangerous filling pressure is around 140psi and easy to get frost burn when disconnecting the pump.
Has it definitely not got one or has it failed, I've never seen a system without one.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Me thinks it's about time you replaced your inlet. Sounds very dangerous filling pressure is around 140psi and easy to get frost burn when disconnecting the pump.
Has it definitely not got one or has it failed, I've never seen a system without one.
As far as I am aware it never has had one.. and if I aint had frost burn after 7 years I doubt I will get it now ! :)
Of course it is quite possible it has just been duff since new..
As mentioned above.. When I undo the feed pipe from the back of the filler I get absolutely nothing leaking out.. So to my mind that must mean no one way valve in the filler..

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
As far as I am aware it never has had one.. and if I aint had frost burn after 7 years I doubt I will get it now ! :)
Of course it is quite possible it has just been duff since new..
As mentioned above.. When I undo the feed pipe from the back of the filler I get absolutely nothing leaking out.. So to my mind that must mean no one way valve in the filler..
You would only get gas leaking - not liquid. As the pipe warms up after filling the liquid would expand and eventually turn into gas as it does so. Most of it ending up in the tank. By the time you have undone the fitting the tiny amount of gas in the pipe will have seeped out. If you had a working one-way valve that is.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
OK.. so just to reiterate . clarify.. I get nothing out of the pipe at all,, nadda, diddly squat, ziltch.. sod all.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
True, there is a NRV on the fill point but it may not be seating. I had one which would discharge into the other cylinder that way. The symptom is that if the faulty one is used as a reserve, auto changeover does not occur and you can draw gas from the second cylinder, even if it’s switched off. Then, when you fill up before switching to reserve, you may find you can put more gas back in than the master can hold. If the cylinder’s less than 15yrs old, GasLow will refurbish it under warranty.

Release the fill pipe in the open air. Any trapped gas should stop coming after a while, unless an NRV is faulty. You’d need to disconnect the pipe completely to tell which side the gas is leaking from.

OP
OP
Sidney
Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
When you undo the pipes there will be a hell of a lot of gas coming out. If you just crack the pipe a little it will take ages to finally clear.

Joe
Yes I know a lot of time has passed but I alwys think it's nice to close a thread with what happened next (just in case anyone needs to know for future reference).

It went "fft"! Not "PHUFFPHT" like when you take the filler off, just fft. (y)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years

No you don't there is a valve in the cylinder to stoop that happening plus the shut off one. disconnect it and a bit in the line is spilled that is it. If you don't believe me then just crack the nut and see what happens, I had a filled, and a new cylinder in my car going to pick up my new van and it does not leak or my car would be filled PDQ. I set them up as a normal cylinder until I got to a rally I was going to and then fitted the whole lot on the site along with another van which I arranged to meet there to do the same. If there was no valve then the cylinder WOULD fill right up and not shut off at 80% which is how they work.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back