Interesting - why German MHs don't have proper ovens. (1 Viewer)

Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
The VERY nice Bavarian on the Morelo stand I was chatting to (I know, but it is very nice just a few £100k too much) was surprised we Brits could get decent ovens in our MH.
He said it is illegal in Germany as the vent would be near the window, which one would often open. Thereby allowing noxious gases to re-enter and do bad things. *not another gassing thread.

P.s. They really are nice motorhomes, especially the one with the slide out. Liked the Concorde carver with the rear lounge also.
Others didn't impress and I'm glad my FRANKIA is a couple of years old as the new interior is rather square and "cheaper" IMHO.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I wondered why it was hard to find a MH with an over in it when we were looking at buying in Germany then importing..
At the time i thought it was because the weather was always that good and the just used the grill all the time :D

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
Our vent for the water heater is near a window, if I open the window the boiler switches off...Simples

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 2, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 866f
Exp
Since 2014
Honestly.
Whats all these dangerous gases doing to your food before the exit out of the vent?
What vent anyway?
There isn't one, and what about the hob? Its burning the same gas as the oven but straight out into your kitchen area, just like at home!!!

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
My German van has an oven which we use all the time it isn't vented hasn't exploded or killed us yet.
Salesman bullshit if you ask me and how come Travelworld have brand new German vans on show with ovens fitted. We looked at a 2016 Hymer B544 Premium line a few months ago and it had an oven fitted.

Mar 16, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer S520
There is no requirement for a seperate vent, gas ovens vent into the room, as most of the C02 is burned off by the flames inside the oven. If need be, you can always open a window to vent.

Pete

maz

Jan 26, 2011
Bizeljsko, Slovenia
Funster No
MH
N+B Arto
Exp
Since March 2011
Your gas oven at home doesn't have an external vent. Why do you need one on a van oven? Our TecTower oven vents into the van - not a problem. :RollEyes:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i alway wonder about design when the fridge is on the door side . possibly it would be in the sun all day.
nut then many have the fridge vent covered by the door when its open .
i always think fridge away from door on other side as usually park with door in the sun if i can.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
There is no requirement for a seperate vent, gas ovens vent into the room, as most of the C02 is burned off by the flames inside the oven. If need be, you can always open a window to vent.

Pete
Cant do that you'l let the fumes in ;)

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
On the other hand one can imagine the effect on German MH exports if one of our more rabid tabloids got hold of a "Brits gassed in German motorhome" story.

Our Italian made MH has a water heater cut off if the main (top hinged) window is open above the vent.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
Its possible the ovens in mh need vents due to the size of the space its in
you cant have a cooker in rooms below a certain size in a house
Some one mentioned the truma over priced window switch. W hich is the only reason trumas dont allow flues below windows

OP
OP
bladerunner
Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
Just reporting what he said to me. Seemed a nice sensible Bavarian.
My frankia has a full 2 part oven and has cooked a full Christmas meal when the aga decided to take Christmas off.

OP
OP
bladerunner
Sep 7, 2010
cardiff
Funster No
MH
Frankia 7900 Platin plus
Exp
since 2010
We didn't buy the hymer equivalent because of its lack of decent oven. Can't be bothered with a small tech tower. We love cooking and want the van to be a home from home all year round.

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
I have owned 5 German motorhomes and all 5 had ovens. 4 out of the 5 were vented ovens (Dometic Tech Towers) and the odd one out was not. The unvented Thetford was nothing short of a complete nightmare. I owned the van for 2.5 years and it was repaired about 6 times, extra cooling fans were fitted at the rear (using valuable power) in an attempt to move the escaping heat away from the thermocouples, none of it ever worked for long and the van was sold with the oven working but the grill not working correctly. I gave up in the end. Thetford offered very little support and supplying dealer was of very little assistance. Hence the reason the new van has no Thetford products, although the Thetford oven was a clear design concept as it was much bigger oven and a clever door which slid inside the oven when you opened it. Just a shame it never actually got hot which I would have though was quite fundamental in an oven :)

ymfb

Free Member
Jun 16, 2017
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
AS Kingham
Exp
Since 2009
We wouldn't buy a van without an oven, we managed without a microwave but now we have one it also gets used.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The Bavarian is talking out of an orifice other than his mouth. Our German van has a factory fitted TEC tower and the oven vents safely through the roof. In our previous van we had a factory fitted freestanding oven that had no vent and it still worked fine.

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
On our 2017 Dethleffs the Truma vent is under bedroom window German standard fit with no safety switch on the window like we had on our Benimar, the oven non standard German fit vent is under the kitchen window, and their was no CO detector fitted. Like most German things the quality is mostly in the bulls***t.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
The VERY nice Bavarian on the Morelo stand I was chatting to (I know, but it is very nice just a few £100k too much) was surprised we Brits could get decent ovens in our MH.
He said it is illegal in Germany as the vent would be near the window, which one would often open. Thereby allowing noxious gases to re-enter and do bad things. IMHO.
That is why they don't have gas fridges and gas water heaters and gas heating I expect lol

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Your gas oven at home doesn't have an external vent. Why do you need one on a van oven? Our TecTower oven vents into the van - not a problem. :RollEyes:
No it doesn't all TecTowers have a roof vent for the oven.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back