Transformer/charger becoming noisy (1 Viewer)

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Sitting here at Bosworth finding that my transformer/charger is getting really noisy now.

It started when we had the 240 volt electrics done but has been not to bad but getting worse now.

It gets quieter as power from 240 socket used but cant plug everything in to quieting it:ROFLMAO:

OK how much is this gonna cost:cry:

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
John, it sounds like your convertor box is on its way out....give James a bell.
01608 812438
Errr, they aint cheap but I'd need to know which unit you have to price up a replacement. :RollEyes:

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Can a DESTROY IT YOURSELF kinda guy like me do the changeover:help::helptitanic::whistle:

Going onto my hands and knees in a minute if the dawgs will allow me to see if I can identify it:Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
Sounds like another meet coming up ::bigsmile: Jeepers will I never get to just relax at these meets, always seem to be "fixing" something......

Linda....Did James get to the bottom of the Landau electricery issue, because Glen, Rory, Ray and I are going to invoice him for the (many) hours we spent looking (unsuccessfully I know) at it :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
By the way, did the fridge stay lit after I set light to it? :ROFLMAO:

You have drawings John???? What is wrong with crawling around in the dark chasing wires by sight mate?

Keith

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Keith.......
Nope :Blush: We got home, he put it all back together and its working perfectly back here (as it did before we left :shout: )........wondering if its something to do with the switch?????? :RollEyes:
The fridge is fine too, obviously that lump of crud on the ignitor .

One thing we did find out....it IS possible to use an American telly with a PAL/NTSC convertor box - that worked a treat (with the genny running!) so no more chucking American tellies in the skip :thumb:

John.....it depends on your DIY capabilities....I can highly recommend a team who will offer assistance and moral support but watch the quote - they can be pricey! :ROFLMAO:

Jul 20, 2007
Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1999
So as not to hijack this thread, I am sending you a PM re the switch..... Incidentally I do not think the switch would cause the problems you had, as it worked well on genny power....
Less of the pricey :ROFLMAO: We are really cheap methinks..... Didn't even get a cuppa :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Keith

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
John just to let you know I have every faith in your ability to swop the converter unit your self, not a shred of doubt
Will you live to tell the story ?:whatthe:
Ah well,I'm not a gabling man :roflmto:
Geo

self.jpg

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Must be a Mercan werd cos it liked it:ROFLMAO:

F

fordy

Deleted User
Hi John RR have a look at this its the way i did my one and not a hard job just keep a list of all the wires you cut and fit this in place of the old unit. and no buzzing ::bigsmile: a tip from (JSW) and i would think Linda could get one for you

Link Removed

FORDY:Smile:

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool: Hi John (RR). Perhaps these links will help you decide whether you CAN do the job or not? :-

Link Removed

Link Removed

:Blush: Gary (Fordy) beat me to it. I keep loosing my Wifi link. Must be the Clouds that are gathering? :roflmto:

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
It's still working fine just noisy:cry::Doh:

Brilliant Geo as usual:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

It's a

Magnetek
Power Plus
Series 6300A
Model 6345
45 amp battery charger

Just like in Gary's (Fordys) link.

If I can afford it, I'll buy it and wait till next meet of great minds:winky:

F

fordy

Deleted User
sorry JSW beat you to it :ROFLMAO: i fitted the Model PD-9160, 60 Amp it charges the batterys in no time and you cant hear it unless the fan is on to cool it when it is working hard it has the wizard built in and i got it from the US for $80.00 but i think over here you will pay a lot more i was just lucky the guy i got it from had no use for it :Smile: i would think around £250 -£300 for the 60amp :cry: but it will be well worth it just for a quiet nights sleep::bigsmile:

OP
OP
Road Runner

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
but it will be well worth it just for a quiet nights sleep::bigsmile:

But I take 4 different types of sleeping tablets so it doesn't affect my sleep only Irina and the Dawg's:whatthe:

Maybe I wont bother:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
You absolutly amaze me John, here i was thinking there was just sleep, thats it just sleep and you have 4 different kinds, absolutly amazing,:Doh:
could you do the conversion,
yup in yer sleep mate, well one of them:ROFLMAO:
Geo

Keith and Debs

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
In Our RV
Funster No
MH
Fifth Wheel
Exp
3 Years
Hi All

Scuse me if i am just having a blond moment but are we talking about the transformer or the charger here... (yes i know that a charger has a transformer in it but it is not usually referred to in that way) we have a noisy transformer (240 down to 110) it varies depending on whether voltage is high or low on the particular hookup we are on... the higher the voltage the more it buzzes... not a prob its just loose laminations in transformer core, happens to all transformers over time, sometimes they are like it fom new.

Just wondering as thread says Transformer/charger..... which one it is thats noisy ????

keith and Debs

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Hi All

Scuse me if i am just having a blond moment but are we talking about the transformer or the charger here... (yes i know that a charger has a transformer in it but it is not usually referred to in that way) we have a noisy transformer (240 down to 110) it varies depending on whether voltage is high or low on the particular hookup we are on... the higher the voltage the more it buzzes... not a prob its just loose laminations in transformer core, happens to all transformers over time, sometimes they are like it fom new.

Just wondering as thread says Transformer/charger..... which one it is thats noisy ????

keith and Debs

We're talking 110v/12v charger/converter.....the brown box thingy usually located under a cupboard unit or under the bed :winky:

F

fordy

Deleted User
But I take 4 different types of sleeping tablets so it doesn't affect my sleep only Irina and the Dawg's:whatthe:

Maybe I wont bother:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I wish i had them pills John RR i could have saved the cost of the new charger :ROFLMAO:
but it will stop soon john my one got very loud use to give a loud click then hum or buzz like mad then it stopped i don't think it likes the 50hz or something,,,
may be Linda can do you a good price but not as good i got it for.............

FORDY::bigsmile:

Keith and Debs

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
In Our RV
Funster No
MH
Fifth Wheel
Exp
3 Years
We're talking 110v/12v charger/converter.....the brown box thingy usually located under a cupboard unit or under the bed :winky:

I see thanks for that.

If it is the charger that has gone surely it is an ideal time to replace it with one that was designed to run on 240 at 50 hertz, rather than replace it with another one designed to run on 110 at 60 hertz, not looked into it but probably be cheaper also..

Just seems to make sense to me or is my thinking all screwed up, surely the more 110 appliances you can get rid of the better..

Keith and Debs...

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
I see thanks for that.

If it is the charger that has gone surely it is an ideal time to replace it with one that was designed to run on 240 at 50 hertz, rather than replace it with another one designed to run on 110 at 60 hertz, not looked into it but probably be cheaper also..

Just seems to make sense to me or is my thinking all screwed up, surely the more 110 appliances you can get rid of the better..

Keith and Debs...

:Cool: Now THAT is something that I have been advocating for a LONG time. :winky:

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
The new digital units are designed to run at 50-60 hertz so no problems.
Its only older linear boxes that seem to develop issues.....well, from our experience anyways.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland

Keith and Debs...

I agree, when I changed mine I installed a Victron Mulitiplus, 70amp charger with 1600 watt invertor..
Description​

Multi Compact -functional (Multi Compact / MultiPlus Compact only)
The Multi Compact gets its name from the multiple functions it can perform. It is a powerful true sine wave inverter, a sophisticated battery charger that features adaptive charge technology and a high-speed AC transfer switch in a single compact enclosure.
Beside these primary functions, however, the Multi Compact has several advanced features that provide a range of new applications as outlined below.
Uninterrupted AC power (Multi Compact / MultiPlus Compact only)
In the event of a grid failure, or shore or generator power being disconnected, the inverter within the Multi Compact is automatically activated and takes over supply to the connected loads. This happens so fast (less than 20 milliseconds) that computers and other electronic equipment will continue to operate without disruption.
PowerControl – Dealing with limited generator or shore side power (Multi Compact/
MultiPlus Compact only)
The Multi Compact is a very powerful battery charger. It will therefore draw a lot of current from the generator or shore side supply (nearly 5 A per Multi Compact at 230 VAC). With the Phoenix Multi Control (PMV) a maximum generator or shore current can be set. The Multi Compact will then take account of other AC loads and use whatever is extra for charging, thus preventing the generator or shore supply from being overloaded.
PowerAssist – Boosting the capacity of shore or generator power
The feature that distinguishes the Phoenix MultiPlus Compact from the standard Multi Compact is PowerAssist. This feature takes the principle of PowerControl to a further dimension allowing the MultiPlus Compact to supplement the capacity of the alternative source. Where peak power is so often required only for a limited period, it is possible to reduce the size of generator needed or conversely enable more to be achieved from the typically limited shore connection. When the load reduces, the spare power is used to recharge the battery.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back