Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
Hi, do you mean the bracket on the smart or the motorhome? If the smart you will have to go to someone like Towtal, in Stoke ,if on the motorhome a normal towbar with 50mm ball will do the job. You will of course need an A frame for the smart , also supplied by Towtal (& others)- cost for set-up about £6-700. Others prefer bto put the smart on a trailer and tow that-ok if you've room to store everything. Personally we use an A frame without any problems. Hope this helps,
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi, :welcome: to Motorhome Fun, do you mean like this one for sale on here:

Link Removed

See my post here:

Link Removed

This:Link Removed

Many people tow a Smart with an A Frame, But I could not bring myself to do it.:Doh:

We are lucky to have lot's of room at home for a trailer, so storage is not a problem, and the places we go should be OK.

But deep down we love the A Frame, used one for 18 months no problem.::bigsmile:

:thumb: Bob.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Have towed and been with towers of Smarties for years
The trick is simple. Make 200% sure ( in other words when you are absolutely sure, go back and start again !! ) that the Smarty is in neutral and not turned off in gear
Stop the car put it in neutral
When you see the N on the dash turn the ignition off

Get out of the car and make sure you can push it easily

Get back in the car and turn on the ignition
make sure it is still in N !!

After all that you can tow it to timbukto and back ! :winky: :Smile:

Last edited:
Aug 9, 2008
Lanner - Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
20 + Years
Smart toad

Hi, :welcome: to Motorhome Fun, do you mean like this one for sale on here:

Link Removed

See my post here:

Link Removed

This:Link Removed

Many people tow a Smart with an A Frame, But I could not bring myself to do it.:Doh:

We are lucky to have lot's of room at home for a trailer, so storage is not a problem, and the places we go should be OK.

But deep down we love the A Frame, used one for 18 months no problem.::bigsmile:

:thumb: Bob.

Hi,
Not wanting to start this discussion all over again as it has been dealt with in depth over previous weeks. All I can say is, being the person who has towed a Smart since they have been available in the UK, firstly a LHD back in 1999 to 2002 and then my current RHD one to now.

If you check that your vehicle is set up to Tow correctly before starting off then you should have no trouble. i.e. Whilst the engine is running after hitching up ensure the gearbox is in Neutral, turn engine off and remove key, release handbrake,connect bungy from under drivers seat to brake pedal clevis pin; connect electrics to Motorhome / Car, connect snatch wire,ensure triangles are on rear window and number plate attached;Lastly stand behind rig so that you can see all indicators and lock car; ALL indicators will flash thus proving they work. I always connect electrics with Motorhome lights on, thus proving the lighting circuit at the same time.Luckily I can see my Brake lights in my neighbours window before I move off.

The only problem I have ever had was I forgot to put the Bungy on to the Brake pedal on one occassion thus the Brake lights didn't go off after braking but a nice man alerted me to that fact.:Doh:

The only thing I would say is both my Smarts have been Semi-Automatics and this method WORKS, there are other newer types that are solely Automatics and I have no knowledge on these.

I hope this helps any prospective "A" frame tower, if your thinking of buying my Toad on ebay you know that it works.:cry:

Brian

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
Hi Brian, If I was in the market for a second hand one, I would buy yours without giving it a second thought, your Buy it Now price is very good ( i would have gone for that, because I think it will make more), when you consider what it cost to have the A Frame fitted, but as we are getting a new one and the very day when I phone Car a tow and someone blows his up, put me off a bit. :cry: But deep down I know, after having an A Frame it's an easy way of towing anything, providing care is taken.:whatthe: But we decided not to risk it with a new one and got a trailer. Bob.:thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi,
The only problem I have ever had was I forgot to put the Bungy on to the Brake pedal on one occassion thus the Brake lights didn't go off after braking but a nice man alerted me to that fact.:Doh:

Brian

up until the western show this year i didnt even know they recommended a bungee :whatthe:

but the nice man on the caratow stand provided one along with 4 new rubber washers (mine were cracking) and a full and thorough explaination of how to set up the brake system all free of charge :thumb:

excellent service...:thumb:

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992

up until the western show this year i didnt even know they recommended a bungee :whatthe:

but the nice man on the caratow stand provided one along with 4 new rubber washers (mine were cracking) and a full and thorough explaination of how to set up the brake system all free of charge :thumb:

excellent service...:thumb:

Hi, I hadn't thought of this, can you post details please. Once or twice I've wondered why the brake lihgts were on on the motorhome when we stopped-logical really:Blush:
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

Rainy

Free Member
Oct 20, 2009
Bexhill East Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
6 months
please can anyone tell me what sort of towing bracket i need to tow my smart car

Hi :Smile: your question was one i posted earlier this week ..but i had trouble posting it and sent the message to my 'blog!' Motorhomes and computers are quite new to us not to mention what sort of bracket we need to tow out smart car on our MH So thanks to your question and all your fantastic replies its helped us too:thumb:
Rainy

Hymer

Free Member
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
The brake lights may also stay on because as you come to a halt the towing mechanism applies the toad brakes just as if you are decelerating when driving along.

The trick is to just pull forward a few inches slowly after stopping and allow the van to stop unaided before applying the handbrake.

Alan

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back