Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I've been thinking about using John Ruffles to uprate our MH so i took the MH to the weighbridge C/W bikes , half a tank of fuel , Full tank of fresh water , grey water tank empty , gas 3/4 filled ( no clothes / food )
Currently its max allowed weight is 3500KG with the max allowed axle weights as follows
Front : 1850kg
Rear : 2000kg
at the weigh bridge i came out as follows
Front : 1540kg
Rear : 1890kg
Leaving me with 70kg ( to place either front or rear axle. )
however if i uprate it to 3850kg ( the max without any changes ) I.E air suspension / wider tyres.
Doing this would give me an extra 350kg ,, BUT here is the BUT most of that weight would have to go onto the front axle.
I don't see how i could do this as atm the front end of the MH has no space to really put anything else into it to put more weight onto the front axle, atm i even have 3 leisure batteries in the front end. ( underneath the seat right behind the passengers seat )
Am i correct in thinking the more weight i have on the rear axle , it will make the front lighter??
yet i want it the other way around as i have plenty of free allowance atm on my FRONT axle , its my back axle that is near its max.
So atm im wondering what is the point in uprating to 3850kg ( the max allowance without upgrades )
as if i uprate to this i will be gaining 350kg payload , which is a lot , but infact ill only be able to use 110kg of it as the weight will be maxed out on the rear axle , and even without uprating i can nearly max out the rear axle weight.
So do i need to buy some gold bullion to place on the front axle to make the load on the rear axle less using the see saw effect :D so i can use extra allowance.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Why only half a tank of fuel? The fuel tank is much nearer the front than the back.

Have you also factored in your better half? You don't say she went to the weigh bridge and the passenger is also very near the front.

Anything forward of the mid-point between the axles is going to be front end biased weight wise.

You do seem to be unfortunate with your "free" upgrade but air suspension and uprated tyres will both improve the rear axle rather than the front end which is where you need it but with the likely cost of say £400 for suspension and about £280 for one pair of tyres but ultimately I would change all the tyres otherwise you create a spare tyre problem.

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
Surely an increase in overall weight allowance must be accompanied by increases to the individual axles, or it's no increase at all ... :wondering:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
Fitting air assist & updated tyres should result in an increased rear axle limit.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Why only half a tank of fuel? The fuel tank is much nearer the front than the back.

Have you also factored in your better half? You don't say she went to the weigh bridge and the passenger is also very near the front.

Anything forward of the mid-point between the axles is going to be front end biased weight wise.

You do seem to be unfortunate with your "free" upgrade but air suspension and uprated tyres will both improve the rear axle rather than the front end which is where you need it but with the likely cost of say £400 for suspension and about £280 for one pair of tyres but ultimately I would change all the tyres otherwise you create a spare tyre problem.
Yip the other half was in the MH at the weighbridge, as for the fuel that was a typo ,, the fuel tank was FULL.. my bad.

Also do the wider tyres not just go on the same Wheel Rim ?? or is it a wider wheel as well as tyre ?? , if so i would just keep the 215 spare i have surely as a spare is a spare and only used for a short while until you get the puncture fixed ?
unless ofc i end up Way over the weight for said tyre

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Fitting air assist & updated tyres should result in an increased rear axle limit.
atm my max weight without upgrades is 3850kg , with air and tyres John recons i could get 4100kg , i should check with him and see what EACH axle will be uprated to

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Surely an increase in overall weight allowance must be accompanied by increases to the individual axles, or it's no increase at all ... :wondering:
Axle weights cannot be increased without suspension and tyre upgrades.
The gross weight can only be increased up to the max axle weights without the other upgrades.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Axle weights cannot be increased without suspension and tyre upgrades.
The gross weight can only be increased up to the max axle weights without the other upgrades.
that is what i thought , so if John is saying i can go up to 4100kg with rear end upgrades , then surely that would mean
Front axle : 1850kg
Rear axle : 2250kg

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Tag Axle
Exp
since 2013
Yip the other half was in the MH at the weighbridge, as for the fuel that was a typo ,, the fuel tank was FULL.. my bad.

Also do the wider tyres not just go on the same Wheel Rim ?? or is it a wider wheel as well as tyre ?? , if so i would just keep the 215 spare i have surely as a spare is a spare and only used for a short while until you get the puncture fixed ?
unless ofc i end up Way over the weight for said tyre

For me it was not wider tyres and I've not heard of this before. My Fiat Ducato MoHo has 16inch wheels with Continental Camper tyres These have a weight/load rating of 116. I was required to go up to load rated tyres of the same size but at least 118. These are not available in Continental Campa tyres so my tyre dealer got me Continental Vanco tyres in exactly the same size but with a load rating of 121 from memory so they exceed the uprating requirements and cost about £140 a pop fitted and balanced.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
It's not a case of wider tyres, it's the tyres load rating which matters.
The new tyres could be the same size but a higher load rating.
Thanks John that makes better sense to me,
do you get Mud&Snow tyres especially for a Camper with a higher load rating ? or do you get ordinary van tyres which could have a higher load rating and are M&S also ?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Incidentally....if you run on tyres with a lower rating than they should be you are running illegally under construction and use regs.
Same applies to the speed rating.
My cars max speed (when new) is 144mph....I run on 150mph (W rated) tyres but I have no intention of driving at 144mph....it's simply law.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Incidentally....if you run on tyres with a lower rating than they should be you are running illegally under construction and use regs.
Same applies to the speed rating.
My cars max speed (when new) is 144mph....I run on 150mph (W rated) tyres but I have no intention of driving at 144mph....it's simply law.
mine are perfectly legal now,, and if they did need upgraded if i did up plate the MH , then i'm sure John Ruffles will inform me if such a thing needs done for the uprating that i want. :)

Brimal

Free Member
Sep 8, 2007
Drayton, Norwich, Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Many years towing and Moho since 2004, presently Adria Coral 690SP Platinum.
Had the same problem on my Dethleffs, which was plated at 3850, front 1850 and rear 2000.
All the weight was on or beyond the rear axle. Seems to be a German design thing.
Had a word with Steve Heap of SV Tech at Lincoln show and he recommended a rear axle upgrade to 2240.
This entailed fitting Air suspension to rear axle and upgrading tyres from 215 to 225 with weight limit of 112
but kept on the same 15 inch wheels.
Ordered the Air Suspension kit from WKR Ltd off ebay cost £279 and fitted myself, not to difficult to do.
2 new 225 tyres, but unfortunately cant get 225 15 in Continental Camper so got 2 Continental Vanco100 which are rated as 112 at a cost of £94 each, then the plate upgrade from SV Tech at £320, Total £1287. Fair amount of dosh but gives me peace of mind that the rear axle is now plated at 2240
so able to carry that little bit extra in the rear shed.
Slight problem though, what about the spare? Decided to keep the 2 x 215 15 on the front for now and change what was a brand new 6 week old 215 spare
for a 225.
Logic being, rightly or wrongly if I need to use the spare it will be ok on the rear and also on the front to get me to a repair depot.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Slight problem though, what about the spare? Decided to keep the 2 x 215 15 on the front for now and change what was a brand new 6 week old 215 spare
for a 225.
Logic being, rightly or wrongly if I need to use the spare it will be ok on the rear and also on the front to get me to a repair depot.
Sounds like a good plan :)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back