Gas and leccy bill rant (1 Viewer)

Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Following on from my home insurance moan. ( now resolved , much cheaper) British Gas wish to increase my monthly gas and electric bill by £20, purely on forecasted usage. I am already £155 in credit. They do this every flipping year and then I have to go to the effort of contacting them to try to leave it where it is. I have a smart meter being fitted soon which will allow me to adjust payments if my usage does go up. Well they can jog on. :mad:

WynandJean

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 23, 2010
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
Bailey Autograph 682
Exp
Since 2010
Sadly it is the way most companies (and charities and many other organisations) go about business these days. Get people on board then screw them for whatever they can get out of them. The phrase from the movie comes to mind, "greed is good".

I assume it is also part of management training nowadays.

Ethics? None. Greed? Total.

Wyn

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
MichelleRyall
Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
With their planned increase they know your credit will be wiped out.
True, I have this situation every single year. I have emailed saying that I am looking to change supplier. Hopefully they will just leave it alone.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
I sort-of-followed stories and TV ads about switching. I actually started the process some time ago but lost patience with the website I was using so abandonned the idea.
Then, just over a year ago, our local authority advertised that they had come to some arrangement with a supplier to offer good terms and an easy-to-follow process to see what the new supplier could offer.
I was with BG and Eon paying around £138 a month. The new supplier came up with a ridiculous figure to supply both gas and electricity for £66 a month. So where's the catch - I still haven't found it.
I've been paying £66 a month since then, get very informative usage statements each month and am now in £55 credit.

I know we all have different circumstances and different power usage but difficult to understand how my current supplier can charge half of what my previous suppliers were charging - and still make a profit.

OP
OP
MichelleRyall
Mar 3, 2013
Poole
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I am also convinced that someone is stealing my gas anyway. I only have my hot water heated by gas in the summer, then the central heating in winter and it still costs as much as the electric !!! Bizarre.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
£31 per month for combined gas and electric and £100 credit sitting on my account. Can't complain, but I do check annually for the best rates.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I am also convinced that someone is stealing my gas anyway. I only have my hot water heated by gas in the summer, then the central heating in winter and it still costs as much as the electric !!! Bizarre.

Simple, change supplier, there are better options, just look on the internet

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
British Gas are a terrible company to deal with. I would switch to someone else.

I'm with EDF on a fixed price plan. The last two times the plan has ended and I've had to start another one the monthly payment has gone down.

I know it won't be the same for everyone but it works for me.

Janine

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
A little bit left of Middle England
Funster No
MH
2006 A/S Nuevo
Exp
since 1988

You'll be able to check your usage daily when you get your smart meter. I do.

Have you checked that you are on the best tariff? I noticed on my last bill that BG recommended switching to Sainsbury's (still BG, obviously) to get a better price.

I fixed until October 2017 using Moneysavingexpert.com - still BG but a bit cheaper and no nasty surprises for a while, at least :)

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Kick BG into touch they're an awful company took me 10 months to get £78.00 off them.
We're now with OVO and really happy very easy to deal with pay ;£68.00 a month for gas and electric and currently £150.00 in credit. Do readings every month just take a pic on mobile and send it if we're away one of the kids nip round and do it.
Simples (y)

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We were with SSE for years got fed up with high bills so did the local gov swap to OVO Energy they are great cut our DD and when you are in credit pay you interest.having smart meter fitted next week won't even need to read the meter then.

Jul 24, 2010
Planet Earth (I think)
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
not long enough
I use OVO. Combined gas and electricity account. Manage the account on line. Send in meter readings monthly
. When we are away I tend to be able to work out what the readings will be, based on the previous numbers. Customer service is superb. They also pay higher interest on any credit than the bank. You can pay a set monthly amount, which you can change yourself, on line, at any time, or a direct debit for the exact amount you use.

I used to change supplier every year and have been very unhappy with all the big names. OVO, in my opinion and three year experience, have been by far the best.

Lorraine x

Ps on doing lots of reading regarding 'smart meters'. I have decided against that option at the moment.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
You do not NEED a smart meter to check your daily usage.. it is just easier with one thats all.
Read the meter at say 11am.. Read the meter the following day at about the same time and see what the difference is ..
For instance, I am with SSE and the current unit cost is 11.9p
Lets say we use 25 units.. Cost would be 11.9p x 25 PLUS standing charge of ( in our case ) 16.5p per day = £4.91 per day

This is just an example as we have a SO of £40 per month and at the moment have a worthwhile credit built up

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
We like the idea of smart meter when away in the winter for long stay it send readings in so they are up to date

Oct 20, 2010
Burry Port South Wales
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2003
Be aware that if you become a low usage client like us as we spend most of the winter away in Spain, they will almost certainly increase your daily standard charge at the time of your contract renewal. Both First Utilities and OVO did that to us, in fact First Utilities offered a new contract with and increase of over 1000%, (yes one thousand) on one standard charge and over 100% on the other.
We now switch at every contract renewal to the lowest provider on the comparison sites making sure we check out all the suppliers and not those 'highlighted' by the sites.
Our current DD for both is £36 per month and we are in credit by a small amount.
Cheers
Ed

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015

Have you had your meter checked.... seriously!... they do go duff!..

And as far as a smart meter.. I wouldn't have one - from what i've seen reported on tinterweb... :)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We are with Utility Wharehouse and they are great. You personally take metre readings every month about the 26/28th and enter them on a web page so they know exactly what your using every month and Bill you accordingly. Give them a look see. :)

Sep 28, 2015
Kingston upon Hull, East Yorkshire.
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544
Exp
2001 Caravans 2011 Motorhomes
As already said, change companies. We are with EDF, three bed end house with gas central heating and pay £45 a month for both and are currently just over £100 in credit. Make sure you read your own meter and submit them online two or three times a year. If you don't keep an eye on readings you can end up paying more than you need or paying too little then getting a big rise.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
I have a smart meter and have used £1.66 today. Why would I want to go out in the cold to read a meter, login and key in the information?

Your choice ;)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I have to walk all the way to the kitchen to check our meter ..

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Following on from Pauls comment about issues.. I went and checked..
Jeez !
I do not think I will be welcoming a new meter any time soon !!!!!

Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.