Jun 18, 2008
wimborne near new forest
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
2 year (caravan before)
Hi
I have a bolero 680fb....I do not think my onboard battery charger is working...I have charged both batteries up with an independant charger, but after a couple of weeks the battery goes low.I have plugged mains lead in, and the onboard battery (living area) is always showing a discharge... -25amp!.......therefore I come to the conclusion, the onboard charger is not working.(mains on).Any ideas?
I have booked in for a yearly habitation check with Marquise poole...so I will have to get it checked out .....I have still one years warranty left.....do you think the charger is covered by this? THANKS.....
MIKE & ANGE :cry:

Oct 14, 2007
Rochester
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Mohawk
Exp
16 fun filled years
25 Amp is one hell of a discharge, I know the panel takes a very small amount even when not on, but if you are losing 25 amps you have a major problem

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi

are you sure about the reading , is it not 25mA , ? which is about normal for a control panel

but even 25mA over 24 hrs = 6ah .. so it will flatten the battery eventually if the charger isn't working..
Have it checked, it should be covered by the warranty

jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jack the Rev

Free Member
Apr 21, 2008
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
A Class Adria Vision
Exp
20 years
Probably is

Hi

Yes it probably is the charger that's the problem. I had a 680FB and had the same problem 2 months after I purchased it. Had the charger replaced under warranty and its ok.

I was told that there's a fault with the particular charger that Swift used on those Bolero's.

Jack the Rev

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi

are you sure about the reading , is it not 25mA , ? which is about normal for a control panel

but even 25mA over 24 hrs = 6ah .. so it will flatten the battery eventually if the charger isn't working..
Have it checked, it should be covered by the warranty

jim

sorry Jim, you need a new calculator mate.....

25mA X 24hrs = 600mA...... 0.6amps.

after two weeks its still only 8.4amps drain.

and ofcourse 25amps will drain it in a few hours.

its the stress of living in bricks and mortar::bigsmile:

Last edited:

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp
I think I may have read Swift have had a number of faulty chargers and replaced them under warranty may be worth asking dealer or maybe Johns Cross (did not know he was even angry):ROFLMAO:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Hi
I have a bolero 680fb....I do not think my onboard battery charger is working...I have charged both batteries up with an independant charger, but after a couple of weeks the battery goes low.I have plugged mains lead in, and the onboard battery (living area) is always showing a discharge... -25amp!.......therefore I come to the conclusion, the onboard charger is not working.(mains on).Any ideas?
I have booked in for a yearly habitation check with Marquise poole...so I will have to get it checked out .....I have still one years warranty left.....do you think the charger is covered by this? THANKS.....

We live in France, and have a McLouis Motorhome....We have now had three new chargers...all covered by warranty........we were given the same answer as the motorhomes in England, a Bad batch of chargers....!!!!!????.. Seems very odd...so many bad chargers...our motorhome was July 2008...when it was produced/manufactured that is a different matter.
Mel

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
I think I may have read Swift have had a number of faulty chargers and replaced them under warranty may be worth asking dealer or maybe Johns Cross (did not know he was even angry):ROFLMAO:
Swift did have a batch of bad chargers due to a non aproved mod by the Italian manufacturer which no one knew about.

They could not do a recall as they did not know which vans had one of this particular batch fitted.

As to me being cross, its the name of the dealership 'Johns Cross Motorhome and Camping Centre which is actually in the hamlet of Johns Cross in the Parish of Mountfield.

If you search Johns Cross on Google Maps, it actually is named there and can be viewed

Happy Days

Peter

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Swift did have a batch of bad chargers due to a non aproved mod by the Italian manufacturer which no one knew about.

They could not do a recall as they did not know which vans had one of this particular batch fitted.

As to me being cross, its the name of the dealership 'Johns Cross Motorhome and Camping Centre which is actually in the hamlet of Johns Cross in the Parish of Mountfield.

If you search Johns Cross on Google Maps, it actually is named there and can be viewed

Happy Days

Peter

Hi Peter...that might answer my question........I think McLouis are italian Made !!! you would know better than me ?
Mel

SwiftGroup

Free Member
Jan 10, 2008
Funster No
Hi Mike & Ange,

As Peter has said, we have had a "batch" of faulty chargers, and if your vehicle was built in l2008, it could have a suspect charger.

However, the charger can only deliver a maximum of 20A, so if your draw, from the batteries is 25A, they will eventually discharge.

My advise would be to use a multi-meter and confirm the voltage at the battery terminals, with and without the charger on. This will indicate whether the charger is operational, as you should see an increase in voltage when the charger is on. If the charger is OK, then it is case of finding the 25A discharge, however, this does seem extremely high for a Motorhome, even if fitted with power hungry devices.

Ash

jhorsf

Free Member
May 15, 2009
DERBYSHIRE
Funster No
MH
ih oregon
Exp

Happy Days

Peter

sorry Peter it was a feeble attempt at humour hence the:ROFLMAO: but i did know you would come up with any info that was relevant as you always do and its nice to see Swift on the ball with helpful reply::bigsmile:

OP
OP
mikeange

mikeange

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
wimborne near new forest
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
2 year (caravan before)
Hi
should read 0.25 to 0.35 amps discharge..mikeange

HI AGAIN
BEING CHECKED OUT BY MARQUIS (POOLE) NEXT WEEK...THEY SAID IT WOULD BE COVERED BY THE WARRANTY...THEY SEEM TO THINK ITS A FUSE ,WHICH IS HIDDEN UNDERNEATH THE CHARGER....BATTERY IS STILL DISCHARGING 0.25 TO 0.35 AMPS AND IS DEFINITELY FLATTENING THE BATTERY...HAVE TO CHARGE UP ABOUT EVERY 2 WEEKS...(SHOULD HAVE BEEN SERVICED TODAY,BUT HAD TO CANCEL..WIFE HAS SWINE FLU!)
MIKEANGE

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
just a thought....do you have an alarm or an inverter?

could be the standby current running either of these in the background.

Mmmm....still doesnt explain the 0.25amps drain when on hookup though:Doh:

certainly sounds like the charger...or 230v isnt reaching it in the first place.

OP
OP
mikeange

mikeange

Free Member
Jun 18, 2008
wimborne near new forest
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
2 year (caravan before)
should read 0.25 to 0.35 amps discharge..mikeange

HI AGAIN
BEING CHECKED OUT BY MARQUIS (POOLE) NEXT WEEK...THEY SAID IT WOULD BE COVERED BY THE WARRANTY...THEY SEEM TO THINK ITS A FUSE ,WHICH IS HIDDEN UNDERNEATH THE CHARGER....BATTERY IS STILL DISCHARGING 0.25 TO 0.35 AMPS AND IS DEFINITELY FLATTENING THE BATTERY...HAVE TO CHARGE UP ABOUT EVERY 2 WEEKS...(SHOULD HAVE BEEN SERVICED TODAY,BUT HAD TO CANCEL..WIFE HAS SWINE FLU!)
MIKEANGE

HI
Eventually got my van to Marquis for habitation check.(November)....FAULTY BATTERY CHARGER.....NEW ONE WAS FITTED UNDER GUARANTEE....Thanks for everyones comments.
MIKE ANGE

NOW FEB 2010...Have had a Fiat full service on my van...and now waiting to have gearbox reverse gear vibration fix done under warantee.(waiting for parts)
regards
Mike

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
HI
Eventually got my van to Marquis for habitation check.(November)....FAULTY BATTERY CHARGER.....NEW ONE WAS FITTED UNDER GUARANTEE....Thanks for everyones comments.
MIKE ANGE

NOW FEB 2010...Have had a Fiat full service on my van...and now waiting to have gearbox reverse gear vibration fix done under warantee.(waiting for parts)
regards
Mike

You'll eventually have a decent MH. I'll bet you never realised just how much fun a MH could be :Smile:

Is your hab door OK :winky:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back