Xenon Replacement Bulbs/Kits (2 Viewers)

LesAshmore

Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 990MHV
Exp
30 +
When you buy a car now it costs a fortune to have the really bright lights fitted but they are fantastic and at night they really do make it like day, Just recently I wondered if there was a replacement system that would allow halogen headlights to be changed to Xenon (The really bright ones), Well I managed to find some at Conrad Anderson at over £300 a pair, I thought Nah, Not worth that much.

Told a mate and he pointed me to a site where he had bought his from, Got a pair at £109 absolutely fantastic they are about 100 times brighter than my original, And that is not an over exaggeration.

If anybody else is interested here they are :- http://www.convert2xenon.co.uk/]convert2xenon
:Smile::thumb:

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
When you buy a car now it costs a fortune to have the really bright lights fitted but they are fantastic and at night they really do make it like day. Got a pair at £109 absolutely fantastic they are about 100 times brighter than my original, And that is not an over exaggeration.
My son has fitted these things to his car and i've driven it a few times at night. Personally I found them awful things and I don't the blueish tint they give.

I've always fitted 100/80w halogens to every vehicle i've owned. Cost is usually no more than £3 - 4 a bulb and they give plenty of good solid light. Add a pair of spots with 100w halogens and if you still cant see the road with those.......then you really shouldn't be driving at all!

No need to spend a small fortune.

Aug 14, 2007
Devizes
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta K-Yacht 80
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Les,

Thanks for the heads up, will definitely look when the new RV arrives.

The link you have put up does not go anywhere on the site.

As to having Xenons, my Wife's BMW has them on dipped and my Land Rover has bi - xenons. I would not be without them, a great way of driving and seeing at night. Probably one of the greatest modern safety products in a very long time.

Best regards

Chris

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
LesAshmore

LesAshmore

Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 990MHV
Exp
30 +
My son has fitted these things to his car and i've driven it a few times at night. Personally I found them awful things and I don't the blueish tint they give.

I've always fitted 100/80w halogens to every vehicle i've owned. Cost is usually no more than £3 - 4 a bulb and they give plenty of good solid light. Add a pair of spots with 100w halogens and if you still cant see the road with those.......then you really shouldn't be driving at all!

No need to spend a small fortune.

I don't think your son has these fitted then as the Xenon lights give a very bright "White" light the blue ones are what the young speed freaks use, And as for not driving, No-one said they couldn't see, and the Police have them fitted to all their vehicles as they are MUCH safer, My personal experience was that one night in very wet weather I was travelling down a road and Very suddenly a person appeared in front of me, at no time was he visible until I got on top of him (Virtually not actually) in the wifes car he would have been visible way before then, By the way at my last eye test less than 6 months ago I had 20 + 20 vision.:Smile:

Sorry about link it should be :- Link Removed

Last edited:

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
My personal experience was that one night in very wet weather I was travelling down a road and Very suddenly a person appeared in front of me, at no time was he visible until I got on top of him (Virtually not actually) in the wifes car he would have been visible way before then,]

I these circumstances I find it best to accelerate and shut my eyes :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

In which case neither my headlight bulbs or my eyesight is of any importance whatsoever
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

HTH

Rob

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
These blue tinged headlights are a pet hate of mine. They dazzle other drivers and imo should be banned.

I'm all for a brighter light, the headlights on my mh are poor but I would never fit a blue tinged bulb.

Jim
:Smile:

NB: If the Blue Tinged Bulbs are not Xenon then what are they or how are they branded. I have bought new bulbs for my lights and they were described as being Xenon, when I received them they were blue tinged and so I sent them back and had them replaced with Halogen.

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
These blue tinged headlights are a pet hate of mine. Jim

Me too. They aren't too bad a lot of the time but when a they go over a bump you get this horrible blue flash.

And being very bright, on bends they hit you and that's you eyes shut down for a few seconds.

I wonder if they are so safe. OK in the beam yes, but off beam, because your pupils are dilated by this puddle of light you see less around you, this means that you will get this body suddenly appear in the beam but if the beam were dimmer then you may have caught it seconds before.

There is an irrefutable statement "If you can't stop within your seeing distance you will one day have an accident". Dipped beams, motorways we all break this one. As do most people on country lanes in daylight.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
when i had the vw garage we did alot of bussiness with bosch and hella. they always told me they recomend changing your light units every five years to keep the best light reflection .i think they were right but i wouldnt like the cost today of keep changing units .it was dear then but now !!!!!!.some of you with oldvehicles if you can get hold of new units will find it worth while. cheers alan,

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
i bought a couple of replacement bulb packs from Aldi.

2 X H4 Xenon H/Lamp bulbs (30% brighter) + 6 various other bulbs per pack

£5 each :Eeek:

to be honest i cant see any difference. :Sad: but still cheaper than normal halogen replacements.

OP
OP
LesAshmore

LesAshmore

Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 990MHV
Exp
30 +
i bought a couple of replacement bulb packs from Aldi.

2 X H4 Xenon H/Lamp bulbs (30% brighter) + 6 various other bulbs per pack

£5 each :Eeek:

to be honest i cant see any difference. :Sad: but still cheaper than normal halogen replacements.

Yeah, I tried those a while ago, They are not Xenon cos a Xenon bulb has to have what is called a Ballast and it is that what makes them expensive, If you look on the site it explains everything and there are numerous different bulbs and it shows pictures of them lit, You can go as high as 12000 K which is the absolute brightest but the site recommends no higher than 6000 K for normal road cars.

I think those from Aldi, Halfords etc are just higher wattage which they are conning with, They also sell Blue headlight bulbs which are allegedly Xenon bulbs but aren't, For a True Xenon to replace Halogen bulbs you need a full HID kit which includes ballast and Bulb.
:thumb:

OP
OP
LesAshmore

LesAshmore

Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 990MHV
Exp
30 +
These blue tinged headlights are a pet hate of mine. They dazzle other drivers and imo should be banned.

I'm all for a brighter light, the headlights on my mh are poor but I would never fit a blue tinged bulb.

Jim

NB: If the Blue Tinged Bulbs are not Xenon then what are they or how are they branded. I have bought new bulbs for my lights and they were described as being Xenon, when I received them they were blue tinged and so I sent them back and had them replaced with Halogen.

If you go to this site and read about halfway down it explains that it is incorrect, This is what it states, and this is by Philips :-

Many halogen bulbs sold on the market will claim they are xenon charged, however this is a marketing scheme. Infact the so claimed "xenon bulbs" sold on the market such as Brands such as Lumincs, Nokya and other generics are infact higher wattage halogen bulbs with blue tinted glass. From our scientific test, these bulbs will yield less output and put your vehicles wiring at a greater risk than the factory bulbs supplied from factory. These fake xenon bulbs also last 1/2 times the normal life of of OEM halogen bulbs, putting you in a situation of switching bulbs every few months. Below you can see the result of a 1 month used high wattage H1 halogen bulb that claimed to be "xenon charged". As you can see the glass exploded.

Sorry missed link off :- Link Removed

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Yeah, I tried those a while ago, They are not Xenon cos a Xenon bulb has to have what is called a Ballast and it is that what makes them expensive, If you look on the site it explains everything and there are numerous different bulbs and it shows pictures of them lit, You can go as high as 12000 K which is the absolute brightest but the site recommends no higher than 6000 K for normal road cars.

I think those from Aldi, Halfords etc are just higher wattage which they are conning with, They also sell Blue headlight bulbs which are allegedly Xenon bulbs but aren't, For a True Xenon to replace Halogen bulbs you need a full HID kit which includes ballast and Bulb.

that'll be why theres no light difference then:Doh:

they are listed on the box as..

H4 Xenon prime + 30% more light 12v
2 pcs. H4 XP + 30% 60/65W P43t
halogen headlamp bulbs

missed the last bit as it says on the front.....H4 Xenon Prime 12v.

still cheaper than a pair of H4 halogens though.

Last edited:
OP
OP
LesAshmore

LesAshmore

Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 990MHV
Exp
30 +
Just been doing a bit of a read up on these Bulbs, It appears you can get a blue tinge but that is on the Higher bulbs ie 6000K upwards to 12000K, The 4300K is just pure white light which is what I have got, also found them on ebay at £30 so a bit pee'd off, The Philips ones on ebay are a bit dearer ie £50 + but still cheaper than the website I got them from.
:Doh:

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
Philips do a 50% brighter high performance halogen bulb called the Vision Plus. I have tested them alongside a standard halogen in my car, and the beam pattern is clearer and whiter.

Wheelie

Free Member
Sep 26, 2009
Whitehill Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
2nd year
Be careful if fitting the HID kit as they are illegal if you dont have automatic self leveling lights

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
I don't think your son has these fitted then as the Xenon lights give a very bright "White" light the blue ones are what the young speed freaks use........
No idea what they are called except I know he paid daft money for a set of bulbs which don't do the job anywhere close to what my £3.50 100/80s do.

And before anyone picks up on it, yes 100/80w halogens are illegal......but i've used them on a variety of vehicles i've owned over the past 15 or 20 years without any trouble whatsover.

Bulletguy

Free Member
Feb 7, 2008
Cheshire/Staffs
Funster No
Couldn't agree more. Unfortunately though they are now fitted as standard to many new cars. What I dislike most about them is one minute you can barely see the oncoming vehicle but seconds later they take your eyes out in blinding flash.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
And before anyone picks up on it, yes 100/80w halogens are illegal......but i've used them on a variety of vehicles i've owned over the past 15 or 20 years without any trouble whatsover.

hope you told your insurance co you've modded the lights...:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

my bro used the 100/80's years ago and never had any problems re: plod, mot etc.

falcon

Free Member
Jun 20, 2009
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp

I cannot say if what Papajohn bought were really Xenon or not, however your statement is not correct at least in one point. the 12000K is not a degree of brightness. It is simply the colour temprerature. That is why you quote the recommendation of using 6000K which is comparable to daylight. If you went lower it would be like tungsten light which is about 4500K.

It does seem odd however that Aldi would flout the Trade Descriptions Act and sell something that knowingly is not the correct product. At best they might have quoted Xenon like properties but since I do not know of these myself cannot say. I would still be interested at those prices. The prices for the 'real' ones seem exthortionate.

Francis

OP
OP
LesAshmore

LesAshmore

Free Member
Jan 20, 2009
Chesterfield, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido 990MHV
Exp
30 +
I cannot say if what Papajohn bought were really Xenon or not, however your statement is not correct at least in one point. the 12000K is not a degree of brightness. It is simply the colour temprerature. That is why you quote the recommendation of using 6000K which is comparable to daylight. If you went lower it would be like tungsten light which is about 4500K.

It does seem odd however that Aldi would flout the Trade Descriptions Act and sell something that knowingly is not the correct product. At best they might have quoted Xenon like properties but since I do not know of these myself cannot say. I would still be interested at those prices. The prices for the 'real' ones seem exthortionate.

Francis

Hi, Yes If you look at the first post on page two of the topic and the third post you will see that both these posts take your points into reality, and in fact Philips do make statements on these "Xenon" bulbs.:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back