LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
With the pound going down, No Marmite, Scotland going on and on about leaving the UK, Isn't it great that lidl can sell a bottle of chateauneuf du pape for 11.99:D

Cheaper at Asda but don't know if it is any good:

Châteauneuf-du-Pape Grande Reserve(750ml)
3 reviews
TODAY'S BEST PRICES
Store_2.15px.png

£10.97

Upvote 0

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Must admit to having a penchant towards it at one time. I thought I had suppressed it until you reminded me just how good it was.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jessthedog

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
Cheaper at Asda but doesn't mean that it is any good:

Châteauneuf-du-Pape Grande Reserve(750ml)
3 reviews
TODAY'S BEST PRICES
Store_2.15px.png

£10.97
Thanks, I will go Tom and check it out.
I bought a beautiful bottle of Rioja from lidl a couple of weeks ago for 8 quid. I don't normally like to pay more than 6 quid. I went back the next week and it was on special for 3.99. I couldn't resist so emptied the shelf. When I looked round, I noticed a 4 bottle cardboard carrier, which lo and behold said if you buy 4 bottles you get a pound off a bottle. So the 8 pound bottle cost me 2.99.
I love a bargain.(y)
Cheers

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Personally I think it tastes shite and tastes like it has been sieved through soil heavily laden in cat piss
Pape indeed
Andy, you are confusing it with Chateau pis du chat.......... ;)

Upvote 0

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
We were told by a wine 'buff' in France a couple of weeks ago that Cotes du Rhone 'Village' red is made from grapes that are grown next to Château neuf du Pape in the same soil, so just as good but a lot cheaper - not that I've tried it but there's always the next trip to give it a go! (y)

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I like it but find it a bit hit and miss at those prices. You've probably got a 50 - 50 chance of it being any good.

Unless it's one that you're familiar with then to be fairly confident it's going to be OK you need to be around £18-£19.

I bought a beautiful bottle of Rioja from lidl a couple of weeks ago for 8 quid. I don't normally like to pay more than 6 quid.

No real need to spend more than about £6 or £7 on Rioja. Doubling that price doesn't usually mean a better wine.

Upvote 0

Imbiber

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
There's more to a wine than the name on the label. Often the cheaper variants are co-operative made examples that leave a lot to be desired in terms of provenience and hence quality.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
We were told by a wine 'buff' in France a couple of weeks ago that Cotes du Rhone 'Village' red is made from grapes that are grown next to Château neuf du Pape in the same soil, so just as good but a lot cheaper - not that I've tried it but there's always the next trip to give it a go! (y)

You can find that in a lot of wine producing areas.

The vineyards produce their "big name" wines but there are also others, usually same grape and same soil but called something else, that are essentially the same but sold for a fraction of the price to the locals.

If you're in a wine area look to see what the locals are drinking and buy that (y)

Upvote 0

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
When in Carrefour, Auchan, or Super-U I sometimes raise my gaze to the Chateauneuf du Pape shelf and consider buying a bottle, but every time I end up two shelves lower down picking up 4 decent Cotes du Rhones for the same price. No contest.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jessthedog

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
I like it but find it a bit hit and miss at those prices. You've probably got a 50 - 50 chance of it being any good.

Unless it's one that you're familiar with then to be fairly confident it's going to be OK you need to be around £18-£19.
Yes you are spot on, But I like to try them never the less.:D

No real need to spend more than about £6 or £7 on Rioja. Doubling that price doesn't usually mean a better wine.
Yes, I love a Rioja, don't pay more than 6 quid normally, but the Soligamar reserva 2011 from lidl is one of the best Rioja I've had.
Cheers

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
That is true. I got two cases last time in France. One is in the car at this moment to be delivered to a dear friend tomorrow....... I drank the other.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jessthedog

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
Personally I think it tastes shite and tastes like it has been sieved through soil heavily laden in cat piss
Pape indeed
Was your wine tasting course expensive?:D
I'm getting blackcurrants. No! Its cats piss, with a hint of litter tray. 12.99 from Iceland.:LOL::LOL::LOL:

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
When in Carrefour, Auchan, or Super-U I sometimes raise my gaze to the Chateauneuf du Pape shelf and consider buying a bottle, but every time I end up two shelves lower down picking up 4 decent Cotes du Rhones for the same price. No contest.

French supermarket wine can be surprising.

A friend of mine is convinced that she only likes expensive wine and can spot a cheap one a mile away so obviously it's my mission in life to catch her out. (y)

The current record is one that I found for €2.39 in a Carrefour. It was unbelievably good for that price. My friend loved it :LOL:

Upvote 0

Imbiber

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007

To a certain degree I beg to differ, especially when buying in the UK.

Considering that duty and Vat on a bottle of still wine amounts to £2.50, then factor in shipping, distribution, supplier and retailer margins, bottle, capsule, label, packaging etc. the actual value of your liquid at £6 is minimal.

However, pay more per bottle and the value of your liquid increases as the fixed costs remain.

Also if you factor in the art of the winemaker, grape harvesting techniques (hand or machine?), vinification methods, oak usage (new oak barrels are £600+ each!) and you begin to get a picture of what sets a good wine apart from a great wine!

As a little exercise the next time your in the wine aisles take a look on the back of the label and see if you can identify where the wine was bottled; more often than not the popular UK brands are bottled at either a UK or German postcode to further reduce costs and increase profit margin.

That's provenance for you!

Upvote 0

Imbiber

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
French supermarket wine can be surprising.

A friend of mine is convinced that she only likes expensive wine and can spot a cheap one a mile away so obviously it's my mission in life to catch her out. (y)

The current record is one that I found for €2.39 in a Carrefour. It was unbelievably good for that price. My friend loved it :LOL:

And French wine duty is 33p per bottle!!

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Pape indeed

That's what I think.

I don't know what all the fuss is about myself.

I got a crate of it in 1991 when I got married the first time. I was told I had to lay it down for x years blah, blah, blah.

I drank a bottle of it about 10 years later and it tasted like sh*t.

I got rid of the rest giving them as presents(y)

Upvote 0

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
That's what I think.

I got a crate of it in 1991 when I got married the first time. I was told I had to lay it down for x years blah, blah, blah.

That is because you were assuming it was some brand of beer, Chris........

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
As a little exercise the next time your in the wine aisles take a look on the back of the label and see if you can identify where the wine was bottled; more often than not the popular UK brands are bottled at either a UK or German postcode to further reduce costs and increase profit margin.

I will but I don't buy much wine from supermarkets. Most of mine comes from other sellers.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
jessthedog

jessthedog

Free Member
Aug 24, 2016
south east
Funster No
MH
A
That's what I think.

Did you drink it at the 2nd marriage ceremony:D

Upvote 0

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
What the hell is wrong with a bottle of Chateau Lucozade? o_O Do you far more good then over expensive plonk thats really dump wine with a posh name, and at far less the cost! I mean, if it was call 'Chateau Almost Vinegar', would you buy it? :)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back