Gaslow (1 Viewer)

Nov 10, 2008
Forest Row, East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
Filled my bottles in UK and France OK, no problems. Finally found a Repsol garage that sold LPG near Alicante. Guess what, none of my adapters inc. "Euro adapter" fitted, so no gas.:cry:
Talked to Gaslow, "Well the UK bayonet should fit", no.
Any ideas?
JK

Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
Not gaslow fault :( Joys of LPG standards I am afraid

You should have the bayonette type (UK) and 2 different screw-on adapters - one has an external thread, the other is like, erm, a toilet bowl!

I have been to one station in Spain where "their" standards didn't fit. The guy came out with a box of 20-30 adapters and bodged some together to make it fit. So only suggestion is ask them to help?

HTH

ArenqueRojo

Free Member
Nov 10, 2008
Anywhere in Europe, so fa
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
13 years
You should have the bayonette type (UK) and 2 different screw-on adapters - one has an external thread, the other is like, erm, a toilet bowl!

These 3 came with our Autogas cylinders and have always done the job - UK, France, Germany, Austria, Spain, Portugal & Italy
Note as shown here screwed into their keeping block in the garage but all have the same base thread that you can't see here.
Patrick

Attachments

• Gas fittings.JPG
    Gas fittings.JPG
    20.2 KB · Views: 44
Jul 28, 2008
Wiltshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Ducato Sportivo
Exp
Since 2005! 2000+ nights so far...
These 3 came with our Autogas cylinders and have always done the job - UK, France, Germany, Austria, Spain, Portugal & Italy
Note as shown here screwed into their keeping block in the garage but all have the same base thread that you can't see here.
Patrick

Yep - they are the main 3.
But I have seen something different in Spain that was unique....!:Blush:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ArenqueRojo

Free Member
Nov 10, 2008
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
13 years
Should have appended to piccy, the left is Italian Dish, the middle is the Dutch Bayonet and the right hand one is the Acme Thread
Names help sometimes...
Patrick

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
what you have seen in spain which you say is unique is undoubtedly the new standard euroconnector ; saw the first one at barajas about 18 months ago ...yet to see a car with this fitting though , but I understand new conversions in spain are being fitted with it ; the sooner it comes everywhere , the better ! no more adaptors ; the idea at this stage seems to be to fit one pump at each station in spain with the new fitting , leaving one with the dutch system as used in the uk

am curious jackomet , where the repsol filling station you refer to near alicante is ? the one opposite the old gas factory on the elche road has always had the dutch system on both pumps although maybe they have now changed one to the euroconnector [ haven't been since march] ; and what are you calling the euroadaptor , what does it look like ?
surely you are referring to either acme or italian cup !

but it seems that there are some new pumps around fitted at out of town normal fuel stations [ like around barcelona ]

pity I didn't think to take a photo of the new euroconnector when I saw it !
haven't seen an adaptor yet :Smile:

hogan

Free Member
Aug 4, 2007
Valencia,Spain
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
LPG at Elche
N 38 18 08 W 00 31 40
Follow N332 South from Alicante,turn right onto N340 about a mile along this road on the right it is a bit hidden but stop when you see the large gasometers on the left.

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
not elche , on the elche road out of alicante

if you go around the bypass going south , head for the airport and you go over the elche road just before you get to it ; turn towards alicante and you pass between the olg gas factory [ you can still seem the balls ] and the lpg filling station
ps , good water pressure at the tap as you go in ; you can also change your repsol gas bottle there , he has a truck full

ArenqueRojo

Free Member
Nov 10, 2008
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
13 years
Can't find the address for the Elche filling station at the moment but it is about 2Km West of the airport but note that it is an industrial unit so keeps factory hours!

Part of the problem is that Repsol have gone off on their own with a 60mm thread which is all theirs:Doh:
My understanding is that the universal euroconnector is intended to be - wait for it - the Acme Thread:Eeek:
but it isn't that common yet...

Quite a useful document here Link Removedlpgeurope.doc

Patrick

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
et voila , thanks to google , the euroconnector !

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EYvAD2naC_s"]YouTube - Euro connector - nowy pistolet do tankowania[/ame]

as you can see , a huge improvement , virtually no gas loss when you disconnect ...and an adaptor possible if you have one of the old systems

Last edited:

ArenqueRojo

Free Member
Nov 10, 2008
Funster No
MH
A-class
Exp
13 years
This gets even stranger.
The film clip shows a Staubli pump.
Now go to Staubli website and... they are promoting the Cup (which they refer to as the French/Italian system):Eeek:
No mention of any other type of connector for LPG.

I have no idea what is going on...:cry:
Patrick

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
the new euroconnector has been agreed after years of discussion , and has been installed for the last 18 months at least ; just haven't seen any adaptors for the old systems advertised , although they are clearly available as you can see

can't see any pump though , pistol yes ; the pump and hose will remain the same

trouble is , too many people are using the wrong nomenclature ! I have seen the italian cup described as the euroconnector , and the italians have been discussing conversion to the new euroconnector , something else again which is as seen in the film clip ; i have also seem the euroconnector called the spanish connector , probably because they are first of the mark [ with poland by the look of it ] in installing the new system

but it is clear that standardisation isn't the only object here ...it is reduction of pollution !

no wonder so many people seem confused:roflmto:

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Hi
Filled my gaslow at Galp station in Barcelona last week but none of my adaptors fitted,. the guy behind the counter had a box of allsorts and soon sorted out the correct one and even came out to fill up for me.
By the way the Repsol garage Barcelona listed in the dutch lpg guide for europe is now a galp station
Wanderer

OP
OP
Jackomet
Nov 10, 2008
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
That's the pump/connected they now use at Elche, just been there. The guy did not offer any "box" of adaptors.
Have sent the link to Jacquie at Gaslow for their comments
JK

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
jk

are you saying they have changed BOTH pumps at alicante to euroconnector ?
isn't one still on the dutch system which most vehicles in spain still use ; are you saying you couldn't fill because you had no adaptor?
and unless they have thrown them away there are several adaptors in on the windowsill in the office ! doubtless not for euroconnector though , as yet

and please stop saying elche , there is no pump at elche ! ; would you call london road Reading london? you will confuse people !

incidentally , an agreed design feature on the new system is that any gas loss had to be limited to less than 0.1 ml per fill

Last edited:
OP
OP
Jackomet
Nov 10, 2008
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
Lebesset
"are you saying they have changed BOTH pumps at alicante to euroconnector ?
isn't one still on the dutch system which most vehicles in spain still use ; are you saying you couldn't fill because you had no adaptor?
and unless they have thrown them away there are several adaptors in on the windowsill in the office ! doubtless not for euroconnector though , as yet

and please stop saying elche , there is no pump at elche ! ; would you call london road Reading london? you will confuse people !

incidentally , an agreed design feature on the new system is that any gas loss had to be limited to less than 0.1 ml per fill "

I went there yesterday, yes toward Elche out of Alicante (38°18'6"N 0°31'41"W), and the guy came out to me and I showed him the 3 connectors (already shown earlier in this topic) and he made it plain that they would not fit on either pump.
Now he could have been wrong/new to the job, whatever, he did not produce any adaptors from the "windowsill" either. When were you last there, recently?
I'm going to try the one in Murcia next.
JK

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
as I said earlier , haven't been since march , or maybe it was april
at that point I just went in , screwed in my dutch adaptor , and filled
as all the existing customers use that system , and as yet haven't seen a vehicle fitted with euroconnector , it is hard to believe they have changed both pumps and put themselves out of business
btw , you do have an external filler for your bottles I presume ...didn't ask to fill bottles directly which is still technically illegal in spain [ even the gas factory which is opposite were forced to stop filling foreign bottles long before it shut down ]
are you still near alicante ? would it be possible to pop in and check the pistols on both pumps ?

presuming you are going to murcia , good luck in finding the repsol depot ! a hint ... when you are at the main junction where media markt/C & A are , go park there and walk back to the junction ; the little road that repsol is on went there but is now cut off by the main roads ; if you look down [ on the side away from the city , sw corner I think ] you will see it !
from there you drive back so media markt is on your left , first right , turn right BEFORE the railway line , then the repsol road is on your right .. it's a bit of a squeeze if you have a big outfit but the repsol trunk vehicles get in OK :Smile:
of course , this is again an attendant fill so if you don't have an external filler you may get resistance [ having said that the elderly chap who is normally there is very helpful ..last time I was there I was out of water and he moved a vehicle so I could back up and reach the hose !]

bonne chance

OP
OP
Jackomet
Nov 10, 2008
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
Lb
My rig is 42' long, Nissan & 5er combined, and as I did not think I could not get to many pumps I opted for seperate bottles. I have filled them in UK & France where nearly all pumps have a sign on them not allowing you to fill individual bottles but I have never had any problems. In most cases the atendant came out and helped me.
After your comments I may pop back to that garage near Alicante (16 miles) and see if I can get another atendant who is more helpful.
JK

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
jk , it was illegal in france until a couple of years ago , but now that has changed and there is a norme francais for refillables and they are for sale ; refilling ordinary bottles is still illegal however

looks like the problem could be that you don't have an external system so the attendant didn't want to fill you [correctly] , they have a 2 shift system at alicante , and one of the guys is very starchy , so if you went in the morning [ if I remember correctly they change at 2pm ] go in the afternoon , or vice cersa ; btw , despite what someone said they DO NOT keep factory hours , something like 8 to 8 7 days
the repsol trunkers are 44 tonne artics , so you should be ok at murcia ...having said that alicante ,as you saw , is much easier

anyhow , don't forget to report back on the pistols! I no longer run on lpg but like to keep up with developments !

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
it just occurred to me that they COULD have changed both pumps as long as they had acquired a euroconnector adaptor to match
when you showed them your adaptors which they would have presumed you had to use , they wouldn't have been any good , would they !

OP
OP
Jackomet
Nov 10, 2008
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
lb
You were right I was wrong, went back this morning and got the "other" guy who could not have been helpful and my bottles are now full. Turns out, as you guessed, only one pump has changed, it was just the original guy who just did not want to know.
Thanks for persisting.
JK

hogan

Free Member
Aug 4, 2007
Valencia,Spain
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
lb
You were right I was wrong, went back this morning and got the "other" guy who could not have been helpful and my bottles are now full. Turns out, as you guessed, only one pump has changed, it was just the original guy who just did not want to know.
Thanks for persisting.
JK

Seems the norm for Spain :swear:

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
hi all, went to new lpg repsol station in malaga today and none of the gaslow adaptors i have fitted. in the end i drove 13 km to cartama and phoned a spanish bloke that the repsol station gav me the number of!! he came down and had the adaptor, how much? 70 euros, told him its too expensive and offered him 10 euros if he would follow me down to malaga repsol and let me fill with his adaptor. he agreed and now i have full tanks. the station does not have an adaptor and the spanish bloke said he had to buy his from piaggio in italy? i havent looked for these yet so dont know the facts , will look later but supposedly you cant buy them here in spain!! how very spanish, all the best sean photos of new adaptor enclosed

Attachments

• IMG_4013.jpg
    IMG_4013.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_4014.jpg
    IMG_4014.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 6

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.