3 Data (1 Viewer)

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I needed to upgrade from my 5gb monthly plan for £8 pm and enquired in 3 shop and they're offering 20gb for £14 on a 24 month contract.
So I phoned 3 and got 20gb for £13 on a 12month contract as a valued customer (y)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I
I needed to upgrade from my 5gb monthly plan for £8 pm and enquired in 3 shop and they're offering 20gb for £14 on a 24 month contract.
So I phoned 3 and got 20gb for £13 on a 12month contract as a valued customer (y)
have started buying the £25 for 12Gb PAYG sims. some months I use loads of data others I use nothing so a contract over the year would be more expensive. These PAYG sims have a 12month life from activation.

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/SIM-Cards/3/3-PAYG-4G-Trio-Data-SIM-Pack-Preloaded-with-12GB-of-Data

Although I am about to start testing EE 4G data in a few places I frequent. If i can get 4g at a good speed I will probably sign up for the EE 50GB data plan for £30 a month. Then I could forget about looking for WiFi quite so often.

http://shop.ee.co.uk/dongles/pay-monthly-mobile-broadband/4gee-wifi/details

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
I

have started buying the £25 for 12Gb PAYG sims. some months I use loads of data others I use nothing so a contract over the year would be more expensive. These PAYG sims have a 12month life from activation.

https://www.mymemory.co.uk/SIM-Cards/3/3-PAYG-4G-Trio-Data-SIM-Pack-Preloaded-with-12GB-of-Data

Although I am about to start testing EE 4G data in a few places I frequent. If i can get 4g at a good speed I will probably sign up for the EE 50GB data plan for £30 a month. Then I could forget about looking for WiFi quite so often.

http://shop.ee.co.uk/dongles/pay-monthly-mobile-broadband/4gee-wifi/details
I usually buy the 3 12GB for about the same price and have found them to be everything I expected so very pleased .however coming back to EE I can only get it to be of any use in the UK . I tried using it as a backup while in France and although connecting to data it wouldn't let me use it .so I must be doing something wrong. Roy

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I was paying £20 a month for around 5gb so saw an offer in a store for a years contract £10 for the first 6 months then £20 for the next 6 months for 30gb.
I've been on it for 3 months now and saving £60 overt the year with lots more data.
We're now in Spain with it working brilliantly, I know it might cut off in 2 months so I'll send the sim card to friends in the uk to use it for a few calls then have another 2 months after the new year probably now though as I know it's 2 months in any one year.
Plus I only get 12 gb out of the uk but I usually don't use that much anyway.

Last edited:

DJA

Mar 5, 2011
Funster No
MH
A
Exp
Since 2008
The EE extra data plans only offer 100mb per month free when roaming in EU.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Can anyone confirm if the '3' 12gb sim needs to be activated in the UK before use in France?
I'm thinking of getting a MiFi plus a couple of sims for our longer trips.
I already have a monthly phone contract with 3 but I can't tether when abroad and after 4 weeks continuous use in a 'Feel at Home' country they cut your data off. That plan had to be active in the UK for 30 days before use abroad.
Taking a couple of sims I can just swop them after 4 weeks (or is it 8 weeks with the data sim?) but will my 12 months start from then.
If I have to activate in the UK before we leave it will cut the time that it lasts by an enormous amount.

Richard.

Dazzlin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 31, 2012
La Marina, Costa Blanca.
Funster No
MH
1986 Hymer A Class
Exp
From 2013
Can anyone confirm if the '3' 12gb sim needs to be activated in the UK before use in France?
I'm thinking of getting a MiFi plus a couple of sims for our longer trips.
I already have a monthly phone contract with 3 but I can't tether when abroad and after 4 weeks continuous use in a 'Feel at Home' country they cut your data off. That plan had to be active in the UK for 30 days before use abroad.

Richard.

We put ours on in Belgium. It has worked all the way through Belgium, Luxembourg, Germany, Austria and Italy.
Not much reception when we first crossed into Italy in the Dolomites but ok now in Treviso.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
We're now in Spain with it working brilliantly, I know it might cut off in 2 months so I'll send the sim card to friends in the uk to use it for a few calls then have another 2 months after the new year probably now though as I know it's 2 months in any one year.

Don't know about data but with the phone when they cut you off after 2 months then it cannot be used 'roaming' for another 12 clear months . I asked the qusetion when they cut both mine last year. They work again in UK .

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I

have started buying the £25 for 12Gb PAYG sims. some months I use loads of data others I use nothing so a contract over the year would be more expensive. These PAYG sims have a 12month life from activattion
A couple of questions.
Do you know if there is a time limit for activation? With ordinary PAYG sims if not activated in a certain time they reallocate the number and they are unusable.
Will a data sim work OK in a phone? I can't see why not, I have a dual sim phone and you can set each sim for whatever services you want.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
A couple of questions.
Do you know if there is a time limit for activation? With ordinary PAYG sims if not activated in a certain time they reallocate the number and they are unusable.
Will a data sim work OK in a phone? I can't see why not, I have a dual sim phone and you can set each sim for whatever services you want.

I don't think there is a time limit for activation. But I wouldn't want to push it too much. I would only buy a years supply at most.
Using it on a phone is possible but ONLY for data. It won't allow you to make phone calls or send texts. Most dual sim phones only allow you to use one sim at a time.
Check if yours allows both to be used at the same time for different services?

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Don't know about data but with the phone when they cut you off after 2 months then it cannot be used 'roaming' for another 12 clear months . I asked the qusetion when they cut both mine last year. They work again in UK .
Correct, same with data, 2 Months in any one year.

OP
OP
Manic
Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Also beware if you get cut off on the feel at home after 2 months and the go back to Europe with the sim in a phone, they will cancel your sim and number will be gone.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Also beware if you get cut off on the feel at home after 2 months and the go back to Europe with the sim in a phone, they will cancel your sim and number will be gone.
I heard that before, surely you get a warning text or something 1st.

Imbiber

LIFE MEMBER
May 12, 2009
Castleford, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2007
Just thought I'd add a bit more info to the 20gb monthly contract Manic opened with, which may be of use to those who use their MiFi device abroad regularly.

I too have just taken up the 12 month 20gb per month contract for £13 as we were forever running out of data on our previous 5gb plan. Whilst discussing the terms I asked about speeds and usage abroad in the feel at home countries and was informed that speed is never slowed; however, only 12gb of the 20 allowance can be used in any calendar month - choose whichever or how many feel at home countries you visit during the month.

Incidentally, you can take out a 24 month contract at £13 pm for 20gb and get a MiFi device included in the deal if you haven't already got one.

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I can't find the PAYG 4G Trio Data SIM Pack on the 3 website, only on my memory. Don't 3 do it any more??

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

scotty1

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Kent
Funster No
MH
Wildax solaris xl
Exp
MINXY the 24g from Amazon,does it work the same as the 12g 12 monrh one from 3 or is it 24 x lg per month as ive seen mentioned.do we have to activate these in the UK? Ta

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
MINXY the 24g from Amazon,does it work the same as the 12g 12 monrh one from 3 or is it 24 x lg per month as ive seen mentioned.do we have to activate these in the UK? Ta
You get 24gb of preloaded data allowance on it, that lasts up to 24 months, or until you've used the data, whichever comes first. You're not restricted to just 1gb per month, you can use it all in one month if you want!

You don't have to activate them in the UK.

scotty1

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Kent
Funster No
MH
Wildax solaris xl
Exp
Thank you ill get a couple as im off to Spain for a month,already got 12gb in my pad and a12gb for mi fi but that one hasnt been activated yet.ta

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Thank you ill get a couple as im off to Spain for a month,already got 12gb in my pad and a12gb for mi fi but that one hasnt been activated yet.ta
If you're only going for a month do you really need that much data???? :xeek:

scotty1

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Kent
Funster No
MH
Wildax solaris xl
Exp
Got frequent traveller on tunnel and only live 15 mins from dover so will be pver there alot and will hopefully use ipad for a bit of tv etc 2x iphone and 2x ipad haha

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Got frequent traveller on tunnel and only live 15 mins from dover so will be pver there alot and will hopefully use ipad for a bit of tv etc 2x iphone and 2x ipad haha
Right ... I suggest you use one sim only and link all items to it rather than having one in each piece of kit, that way you'll use one sim up at a time - due to them having a '2 month' use abroad limit (it's not that simple, and is actually a lot more if you manage it right though!) you won't then end up with 3 activated sims which after 2 complete months' use abroad you can't use abroad again.

Ed Excel

Free Member
Nov 27, 2012
Ribble Valley
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Started 2007
I was paying £20 a month for around 5gb so saw an offer in a store for a years contract £10 for the first 6 months then £20 for the next 6 months for 30gb.
I've been on it for 3 months now and saving £60 overt the year with lots more data.
Just check that again. It's 2 months in a rolling 12 month period as far as I remember. And, you don't need to send the SIM home, it's 2 months continuous use. I took it out of our MiFi for one day last time in Spain and they didn't cut me off in three months use.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back