Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
I have just watched an enormous flock of geese flying past and then heard two jets on approach to Manchester airport ,we live on the flight path and wondered can these birds be seen on radar ,as they crossed each others path or is it down to pilot and his line of sight ?

OP
OP
mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Or maybe they were on the way to Goose Green a place in Wigan :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Brendan

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 25, 2012
Here there and everywhere
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2010
This takes me back 25 years to my classes on radar theory.
There are different types of return displayed on a radar display.
The original format where a pulse is sent out and any reflection from objects measured is picked up is called primary radar.
Most atc uses secondary radar, where the radar head sends a signal which interrogates a transponder on board the aircraft.
So far most geese haven't invested in these transponders, hence no secondary return from all but the wealthiest geese.
A lot of systems will display both primary and secondary returns, so it may be possible to see a large target like a flock of large birds as a primary only return, but like everything in life now, the picture displayed goes through radar processing to reduce unwanted clutter on the screen.

OP
OP
mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
I forsee a market opening here in geese transponders in fact a golden egg of an opportunity :LOL:

OP
OP
mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Indeed Brendan, that is something to think about for every up there is a down .
That reminds of a workmates kitchen Christmas episode many years ago ,jOE came home drunk and could hardly stand, his wife was a full time working mum with 5 kids who had been running around trying to get the Christmas eve shopping all done,
when Joe fell over in the kitchen that was the last straw, she threw a bucket of water over him but what she didn't know was Joe had put the frozen turkey in it to defrost before he went out she knocked him out cold and had to call an ambulance.

OP
OP
mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
My Dad used to coat me in goose grease when I was ill, he kept a large jar in a kitchen cupboard .I used to stink and went to school looking like a channel swimmer with short pants on ,:ROFLMAO:

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
geese are the flying equivilant of horses ,some bits of our local parks are no go zones due too the crap they produce even the bosnians have stopped catching them

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
geese are the flying equivilant of horses ,some bits of our local parks are no go zones due too the crap they produce even the bosnians have stopped catching them

I camped somewhere with lots of geese and I walked some of their poop into my van when I had the fitted carpet down ... NOTHING would get rid of the stain and I had to get rid of the carpet...:(

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back