Free Member
Oct 20, 2009
Bexhill East Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
6 months
Hi could someone give us some advice on how you get good cheap deals on tunnel or ferry crossings? We've just bought our first MH yeeha! :roflmto:Its a Lunar Roadstar We are hoping to get away a few times next year We live between Newhaven and Dover so either port is conveinient just dont know what or where to look on the websites for taking a MH over to Europe or what is a reasonable price/cost
Many thanks
Rainy&Pete

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Hi could someone give us some advice on how you get good cheap deals on tunnel or ferry crossings? We've just bought our first MH yeeha! :roflmto:Its a Lunar Roadstar We are hoping to get away a few times next year We live between Newhaven and Dover so either port is conveinient just dont know what or where to look on the websites for taking a MH over to Europe or what is a reasonable price/cost
Many thanks
Rainy&Pete

Sea France has done us some good deals

Link Removed

Others favour Norfolk Lines.

Upvote 0

Euromobil

Free Member
Jun 23, 2009
hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2010
Look on this forum for" Norfolk lines discount codes", may still work, we like Norfolk Lines because no coach loads etc but I always try my dates on all three to see who has got best offers. Being near you can go antisocial hours which are cheapest, if you can be flexible over dates/times there are some good deals. Never used chunnel with van

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Euromobil

Free Member
Jun 23, 2009
hampshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral
Exp
Since 2010
p.s. forgot to say our returns next year for 6.50m van in May/June and Aug/Sept worked out £48 return

Upvote 0

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
Buy all your fuel at Tesco and shop there occasionally, save the club card points and when they send you your vouchers return them and ask for Eurotunnel deal tokens.
You'll get four times the value of the vouchers and if you have enough your crossings for free!!! :thumb:
It's a far better way to cross the channel in my opinion :thumb:
Plus if you miss your crossing (twice in one trip :Blush:)
they put you on the next available, no worrys :thumb:

regards...nige

Upvote 0

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
OOPS :Blush:
Forgot to mention, you can save your deal tokens for about a year to eighteen months.

regards...nige

Upvote 0

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Hi my friend Red Sonja has one, she loves it, I copied her post from another thread.
Hope it works.

QUOTE=Red Sonja;101097]Hi
We have an 03 model and we love it. Loads of Storage space both inside and in the lockers. Lots of space inside. We have a slightly different layout to most I have seen. At the front instead of having facing setees we have one setee and facing it a sideboard!

Only downside for us is its low on the ground and when we got a ferry across the Rhine we took it very slowly and still the bottom hit the ground - No damage though. (Thats why we took the Shuttle across the channel)

Sonja[/QUOTE]

Regards Pat

Upvote 0

bevo

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
north west
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
channel crossing

it's the chunnel for us every time.
mrs bevo don't like water, and when we came back over from france in october it was very windy so we could just imagine the ferries rockin and rollin.
but it's each to their own.

Upvote 0

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
We now always use the Tunnel as it is much faster and more flexible, if you turn up early you can usually get an earlier crossing at no extra charge.

Upvote 0

shortcircuit

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Funster No
Get a quote from all the ferry companies that sail out of Dover, P&O, Sea France and Norfolk Line. Gone over and back twice this year and P&O cheapest by far, on both occasions.

Unless you have Tesco tokens forget the Tunnel as they think we are all millionaires. Fellow traveller on this return trip went to the Tunnel for a one way, as weather a bit rough, and his Mrs does not have good sea legs - £235.00 one way. Got her a few brown bags and left her to it. Fortunately it was a smooth crossing.

If you are a member of the CC or CCC clubs you can get about 5% off. I have tried to use the CCC online booking system and it has fallen over on both occasions. Draw it to there attention and they always suggest I have a problem and to phone them and they will book for me. There system is so cumbersome as they want so much irrelevant information that I went direct to P&O.

Shop around and you will get a good deal.

Upvote 0

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
We have never paid more than just over a £100 for a return in peak season, maybe we are just lucky, although we usually book sometime in advance. It is just so much easier and quicker than the ferries

Upvote 0
Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Ferries

We always book through the Caravan Club usually do it online they have always come out the cheaoest.We usually buy Camping Cheques at the same time and then you get ITX fares that are even cheaper, we have saved more than our £38 membership.

Upvote 0

Denny

Free Member
Mar 26, 2008
UK
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs
Exp
Since May 2008
Re. Eurotunnel

Tesco points vouchers are indeed the best Eurotunnel deal, but if you don't get them I wouldn't let it put you off. If you book early you can get some good prices especially if you check on the cheapest times to travel. Don't be afraid to book your return journey in advance. If you are in France and you have had enough you can simply drive to the tunnel and enter your booking details. They will tell you if there will be a suppliment for crossing early or maybe let you go without any extra charge, then it's up to you.
Alternatively, get yourself a lap top, book one way only then when you think about returning go on line in any Macdonald's car park and book your crossing. We did that a week before returning late last August, then in September the weather went downhill so we came back 3 days early. The on-line booking cost £70 and when we got to the tunnel we were offered a train in 50 minutes for an extra £29. Cheaper than 3 more site fees, and better than sitting in the RV in the wind & rain, thanks to Hurricane Danny.
Eurotunnel is stress free and very fast though you will hardly know you're moving. We will not sail again !
Bon voyage !:helptitanic:

Upvote 0

Lincolnshire Rover

Free Member
Feb 12, 2009
South Lincolnshire
Funster No
Exp
Eurotunnel frequent traveller account 5 return trips in 12 months really flexible travelling for Motorhome £96 return every trip used it this year Brilliant no more ferries for me so so easy :thumb:

Upvote 0

geoff1947

Free Member
May 20, 2008
Plymouth
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
10 yrs
Continental travel

There is a wealth of info on these sites re travel and books (like ACSI) to have etc Have a good brouse and there is lots to learn. I wish I had found this site years ago when I first started travelling and it would have saved me loads of money Good luck anyway:thumb:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
R

Rainy

Free Member
Oct 20, 2009
Bexhill East Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
6 months
Tunnels/Ferries info

Buy all your fuel at Tesco and shop there occasionally, save the club card points and when they send you your vouchers return them and ask for Eurotunnel deal tokens.
You'll get four times the value of the vouchers and if you have enough your crossings for free!!! :thumb:
It's a far better way to cross the channel in my opinion :thumb:
Plus if you miss your crossing (twice in one trip :Blush:)
they put you on the next available, no worrys :thumb:

regards...nige

Well Nige i didnt know that re Tesco vouchers being four times their worth! ..got loads so many thanks for that and the other useful info :thumb:Rainy

Upvote 0

wanderer

Free Member
Apr 14, 2008
huntingdon
Funster No
MH
a class Arto
Exp
since 2008
Hi
I am great fan of eurotunnel and tesco vouchers another plus is if you have a pet it stays with you so less stress and the crossing only takes 30 mins then drive off train straight onto the motorway
Wanderer

Upvote 0

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Many thanks
Rainy&Pete

Hi
Rainy&Pete
Good morning and welcome (to the house of fun).....Me, sorry, We travel Eurotunnel every time, we find it so quick and relaxing....some people sit and eat some fall asleep, but for 35 mins you seem to have just driven on the train, when your are driving off straight onto the A16 motorway south..........also me and the bouncy water do NOT mix, so it is the EuroTunnel every time for me, (WISH WE COULD GET TESCO POINTS OVER HERE IN FRANCE) but sadly no.
We book online over here in France, it is so easy, you go on line and get a quote, any amount of permutations (time of day and night, different days, mid week / weekend ) to see what suits you without even booking, (I think it is the same for all the Dover boat crossings you just check online)

April this year we came back over to England with the motorhome for two weeks,
The cost for the Eurotunnel,
314 Euros and this included travel 2 people and for two dogs, the dogs cost 93 Euros ..46e x 2.. (this price does not include any vet fees)...and of course the dogs travel with you so they are not stressed out...like they would be shut in the hold of the ship rolling about,....(also I think the limit of people are 6 for the same price, not sure on that?)
our motorhome is 6.8m long ( I don't think they ask the length)
I booked one way in Euros...........and another booking return that was in £ sterling
only saved a couple of Euros from booking a complete ticket with return....would not do it again.

with the exchange rate at the time of booking total cost of the trip was 221 Euros....(not counting the two dogs)

this is the booking site for Eurotunnel.....just get a quote

Link Removed

Good luck hope we see you in your travels over here in France.....at the moment Raining !!!!!

MEL

Upvote 0

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just booked for next Thursday on Norfolk Line..
£19.00 return inc fuel surcharge and a quid for debit card booking

Upvote 0

takeaflight

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
Stratford-upon-Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Hi Mel I know living in France you are unlikely to be CC and C members, but if not it may be worth you joining.

I shop around on line with Eurotunnel to find the best price, then I tel the CC and C with the day and times I have found and upto now I have saved around 15% off the price. Just check there is no problems booking Calais to UK return, before joining.

ROY

Upvote 0

ByRONic

Free Member
Nov 1, 2009
Funster No
Booked today m/home + 2 adults for Dover Calais return. With 9th Nov. out and March 27th 2009 return (at unsociable times) Sea France cheapest @ £53. Time saving of an hour with Chunnel service insignificant as far as I am concerned.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back