LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
What is the best..... most reliable..... reasonable on repairs and keeping on the road...

Land Rover... Mitsubishi Shogun.... Range Rover.... Freelander or what 4X4 comes recommended...

I know nothing about running one except my little Suzy 2litre Grand Vittara, and that is only good for about one & a half ton..

Needs to tow approx 2 - 2 and a half ton...

Over to you especially @Landy lover ... :thanks3:

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
I know Cliff would never buy anything but a Toyota Land Cruiser to tow. They never get a mention in Motorboat Monthly, Caravan Club Magazine, CC and C Magazine, who I think are all paid off by Land Rover....

We have a Toyota Rav 4 now as we don't tow a boat or caravan anymore - to me it seems like a miniature Land Cruiser - lovely car.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
No recent experience Mo but did have good reliable Shogun and two other Mitsubishi vehicles some years ago.
Not sure of pulling 2.5t though,maybe you need a tank!

Steve N Tracy

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 1, 2015
Southampton
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
4 Years
I used to be involved with doing some work for Mitsubishi vehicles UK and my own car was a Toyota Hilux Surf Same running gear as a Toyota Landcrusier Colarado for reliability there's very little better then a Landcrusier, as the Aussies say "if you want to go out into the desert use a Land Rover if you want to come back again use a Landcrusier"

Dognewf

Free Member
Nov 4, 2015
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
lunar newstar
Exp
1 whole year now
Can't see past Land rover myself. had a couple of Disco's and a few defenders. older models though, i don't like the new arty farty ones.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
My Son-inLaw is a Land Rover devotee. He has one all tricked out with every conceivable extra.

He also has T-shirts with the Land Rover slogan "One Life, Live it".

For his birthday I bought him a T-Shirt with the slogan " One Life, don't waste it fixing Land Rovers. Buy a Mitsubishi."

It's fair to say he has had a lot of problems with parts breaking and, on any four wheel drive vehicle, parts aren't cheap.

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Are the newer Land Cruisers as reliable as the old ones? I was looking at ads the other day and older ones were dearer than the new shape. Have been looking at Discoveries but haven't found anything nice yet. Might go back to a Mark I 300 series.

Joe

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Are the newer Land Cruisers as reliable as the old ones? I was looking at ads the other day and older ones were dearer than the new shape. Have been looking at Discoveries but haven't found anything nice yet. Might go back to a Mark I 300 series.

Joe

I had a 2004 LC5 from new. I think it cost about £40k and that year with pretty high mileage are still selling for £10k plus.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Landcruiser everytime.

Shogun as a second choice

Range Rovers/Discos/anything from Land Rover all look pretty but they offer a free AA lorry with every new one these days.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Most reliable is a Toyota Hilux with the D4D engine.. UN breakable !!
Thats why ISIS and every other Terrorist group use them .. It will carry an anti tank gun and about 15 rag heads.
Even Top Gear couldn't break one !!!
Simple and perfect...
It depends what you want to use it for though. As said a Toyota Landcruiser is the dogs doodahs for major off roading and in particular, on sand.. But the Amazon is amazing and has great Torque..
Mitch.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
It depends what you want to use it for though. As said a Toyota Landcruiser is the dogs doodahs for major off roading and in particular, on sand.. But the Amazon is amazing and has great Torque..
Mitch.

I used to use my Land Cruiser on the beach a lot for launching boats and jet ski's.

I lost count of the number of Defenders and Discovery's that I had to tow out of the soft sand.

I only ever had road tyres on it too

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
The big fat tyres probably helped.
I must admit, after 25 years around Landrovers in the Mob and another 10 in Civvie street, I don't like to hear them being "Knocked".. Sentiment I guess.. They were the first and the best for a lot of years.
Mitch.

awg

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 9, 2013
Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
WIldax Altair RS
Exp
Since 2015
I've had my Rangerover Sport from new, it's 10 years old and just about to clock 100k miles. Very little trouble or cost. Was going to trade it in for a new one when the new shape was launched in 2013 (I think) but couldn't see the point. I'll run it into the ground and then buy a new one. That's assuming I'm still around in anther 10 years. :):):)

Oct 8, 2016
bognor regis
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano 675G
Exp
10 years
Well my Jeep Cherokee 1998 with awful electrics just keeps going. Cost me £800 2 years ago. Depends if all the bells and whistles are important, I just needed a 4 x 4 that kept going.

OP
OP
old-mo

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
What do you need one or Mo?

Craig

I have to pick up a large heavy 4 wheeled box/Pod type trailer in a week..

So only want a hack, as I luv my little Grand Vittara..

Off on Friday to have a look at this =

Link Removed

They have accepted my offer, subject to a look over and a run out in it..

Lorryman100

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 29, 2015
UK/Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
27/11/2015
I used to have one of them a 2007 model but changed it for a new Defender in 2009. The Shogun is light for its size 1850kg kerb weight, only has a 4 speed box and is rear wheel drive until you engage the 4 wd. If I remember correctly the max towing weight was 2800kgs with a nose weight of 100kgs. The steering can get pretty light with a good weight on the back due to the overhang. It towed our 1800kg twin axle with no issues apart from the 15mpg when towing.
The Defender can tow 3500kgs with a nose weight of 150kgs, has 6 gears and returned 25mpg when towing our 1850kg Elddis twin axle. It has never broken down on me and has taken me places I wouldn't walk over. Then again I am a Diesel mechanic to trade so do all the maintenance myself and my side hobby is vehicle diagnostic and own about 10k's worth of diagnostic tools so the electronic side has never given me any issues. The Defender has 4 complete sets of wheels and tyres specific to what I want it to do, 305's for the beach when launching and recovering the boat, 265's all terrains for every day use, 235's in mud pattern for off roading and a set in all terrain for grass work. The Defender is a tool and not a luxury car and with a tool you need to fit the right bit for the job, something a lot of owners don't realise or do.
Our next vehicle will probably be a Hillux once Toyota add a 6th gear, five just isn't enough in a modern vehicle. There are a lot more electrics in new modern 4x4's and these going wrong can cost, as a visit to the dealers to get the DTC read and cleared is charged at the hourly rate unless you have your own diagnostic tool.

If you go down the Defender route then there is loads of advice available and the best Defender forum is this one

http://www.defender2.net/forum/index.php

I am a member of that forum ( same username) and have found it to be the most helpful to owners.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Mo - not sure the stated mileage matches the wear on the leather seats.

Do the online MOT search to check its mileage over the last few years.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back