Advice on a future purchase (1 Viewer)

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
Hello
Looking at getting my first and last motorhome in a couple of years time.
As I will be retiring and using some of my lump sum need to make the correct decision.
Am aiming to keep it till I cant drive any more so am aiming to buy new.
The main points are.
Central bed
Garage large enough to take a small 125cc motorbike
As small as possible
Aim to be away for month trips so needs to be big enough
Shower and Toilet
3rd occasional bed.
Large payload for motorcycle, 2 electric bikes etc.
max of midrange price £55000-£65000 including extras.
Other bits we can compromise on.
I am looking at the Pilote P650c and P700c.
Any advice or other suggestion please.
Also advantages/disadvantages of the difference of 1/2 meter length
The P650c is 6.49m and the P700c is 6.95m long.
Thanks for looking and responding, as the time gets closer to making the big decision will ask more, am going the the M&C show again to look further.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Seems you know what you're looking for you will get lots of ideas from Motorhome show and on here if you pay your Subs on the forum it's well worth £15 you'll get that back in droves.(y)(y)(y) Good luck with your search but don't be rushed into buying.

Upvote 0
Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Hello and welcome.

I don't know the layout of those vans but I think that at that sort of length the extra 50cm could make quite a difference, particularly as you will be doing some extended trips in it.

The length of a MoHo doesn't make an awful lot of difference to the driving experience, except when parking in very restricted spaces, its more the width and height that will restrict where you can get to.

Richard.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
The same advice that has been given to many on here, consider renting one first to really see if it's what you need(y)

Upvote 0
Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
An awful lot of people fiond their first motorhome ends up being the wrong layout you seem pretty certain in what you want but I would buy used first so the hit is lower if you want to change. If you feel secure doing that and buy privately you should get a good deal. If you are looking just at dealers I would go for new but try negociating at a show what the cost in a couple of years might be will depend a lot on the euro!!!!!!!!!

Upvote 0

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Not what you said, and I understand your thinking, but new is not always the best option, as you become familiar with the forum you will see that many new vans are plagued with all sorts of trouble, but buy one 18 months old the original purchaser will have taken the biggest loss on it and no doubt had any problems sorted out as well as adding some of the toys Solar Panels / Fiamma / Bike rack. etc. Worth a bit of thought.

:welcomesign:

Upvote 0

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
You will get a cracking used van for that budget, and as Carol says, you don't always get it right first time.

Martin

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Jands

Jands

Free Member
Oct 12, 2016
Funster No
Retireing at 60 so 10 years before needing to reniewing
Looking at vans max weight 3.5T so 70 should not be a problem.
Payload of the P650c is 680Kgs and the P700c is 620Kgs in the better trim.
Weight of a Honda MSX125 is 101Kgs which will fit in the garage with the bed in the fully up position.
2 Gtech bikes 16Kgs x 2 to fir in the garage if room or on a rack at the back.
So transport is 133Kgs leaving 547Kgs or 487Kgs for everything else.
Thought of Aluminium refilllable bottles to save weight, awning, solar panel, and auto gearbox will also be added.
Should leave a good 450Kgs for everything else.
Is this more than enough?
Have hired a french bed motorhome, liked it being out but not the position, need a bit of comfort which is why the central bed feels ideal.
If you feel the extra half a meter makes a lot od difference might go that way, will spend some time in them at the motorhome show and see how we feel. Have a couple of years to finalise our thoughts.
has anyone had any experience of Pilote M/Homes especially the 2 I have mentioned?

Upvote 0
Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
When looking at loading and weights they are not all the manufacturers make them out to be and can be very exaggerated individual axle weights very important as loads at rear end can have bigger effect on axle loads.there are lots of threads on here about it and Jims guide is very good.

Upvote 0
Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Payload, payload, payload.

Especially if you are going for a long period and want to put probably 170 kg of bikes (1 motorbike plus 2 electric bikes) in the garage or on the back. And you want extras as well. You may well find that it will be difficult to do all that with a 3,500kg limit. And that will then get you into needing to get a medical to keep your C1 at 70 as others have said.

I have plumped for a well equipped A class that weighs in at 4,500kg max. And even with that I am within 200kg of the overall maximum weight and 90kg of the back axle maximum weight. That's with all I want to carry for a month away plus a 100kg scooter in the back. And I am keeping my fingers crossed that I will pass the medical in a couple of years time.

Edit: Just read your new post. Please please please do not believe the payload figures the makers tell you. They are often works of pure fiction. And also remember that weight behind the rea wheels will add more than the weight itself to the rear axle, and that is where you will have problems.

Upvote 0

Riverbankannie

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 11, 2016
Bristol
Funster No
MH
IH 630 RL PVC
Exp
We don't mean to rain in your parade @barnhatter but you asked for advice and the Pilote P700 looks like a big MH. Many of us have had a nasty shock on the weighbridge and want to spare others.
Have a look at this post
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/payload.139535/
Just make sure you are informed before you buy and ask for weighbridge ticket.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back