Fiat 2.8 TD (1 Viewer)

Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
since 1997 (many years tugger before then)
I've just sold my Mirage 6000 (don't really know why, I loved it) and I'm now looking to replace it with a 2004 model Hymer with a 2.8 TD engine.
A couple of questions :-
Is this one of the engines that had a 'red master key' that would cost a million pounds to replace if lost.
Is this the one with the potential 5 th gear problem.

Thanks

Allen

cobmonster

Free Member
Feb 15, 2009
Wokingham, Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
9 years
I've just sold my Mirage 6000 (don't really know why, I loved it) and I'm now looking to replace it with a 2004 model Hymer with a 2.8 TD engine.
A couple of questions :-
Is this one of the engines that had a 'red master key' that would cost a million pounds to replace if lost.
Is this the one with the potential 5 th gear problem.

Thanks

Allen
Hi Allen
yes it is the one with the master key and we had a 2.8 and had no idea there was any 5th gear probs, had ours for five years not one problem.:thumb:
Tony

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
There is the potential for 5th gear problems on the 2.8. The 5 gear runs in a housing that was attached to the outside of a 4 speed box, and can sometimes suffer from lubrication problems, as it is splash lubricated from the main box. Having said that I used one for years and never had a problem, so have many others but the potential is there, as many found to their cost.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

estcres

Free Member
Oct 9, 2007
Sunny Bournemouth
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Hi there.

As said earlier this is the model with the RED key.

I had this model and the 5th gear went on mine whilst travelling back from Scotland, had to complete the journey from Manchester - Wiltshire using the 4 main gears.

Ours cost £200 + VAT to repair at a local "GEARMASTER" workshop, the engineer knew exactly my problem when I discussed it with him over the 'phone and he was able to tell me the exact cost and how long to complete the task. (We flew to Tenerife for a week whilst the repair was completed, well, no van nothing to do)

When I collected the vehicle he showed me the problem and it is really quite simple, The 5th Gear is attached to the main drive and has a set of very small dog teeth, about 6mm deep. when 5th gear is engaged these teeth attach to the gearbox drive and, if not engaged corectly these dog teeth wear on the edge and the edges become angled, the gearbox drive then starts to slip out of gear and eventually dis-engages.

Some people have said they have been able to hold the gear stick in 5th and the gear stays in location until they remove their hand and it then drops out.

By the way, remeber to climb under the front of the vehicle and check the condition of the front cross member, these are very prone to rusting away. See other posts on the forum about this.

Hope you find this advise useful.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
There is the potential for 5th gear problems on the 2.8. The 5 gear runs in a housing that was attached to the outside of a 4 speed box, and can sometimes suffer from lubrication problems, as it is splash lubricated from the main box. Having said that I used one for years and never had a problem, so have many others but the potential is there, as many found to their cost.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

Hi there.

As said earlier this is the model with the RED key.

I had this model and the 5th gear went on mine whilst travelling back from Scotland, had to complete the journey from Manchester - Wiltshire using the 4 main gears.

Ours cost £200 + VAT to repair at a local "GEARMASTER" workshop, the engineer knew exactly my problem when I discussed it with him over the 'phone and he was able to tell me the exact cost and how long to complete the task. (We flew to Tenerife for a week whilst the repair was completed, well, no van nothing to do)

When I collected the vehicle he showed me the problem and it is really quite simple, The 5th Gear is attached to the main drive and has a set of very small dog teeth, about 6mm deep. when 5th gear is engaged these teeth attach to the gearbox drive and, if not engaged corectly these dog teeth wear on the edge and the edges become angled, the gearbox drive then starts to slip out of gear and eventually dis-engages.

Some people have said they have been able to hold the gear stick in 5th and the gear stays in location until they remove their hand and it then drops out.

By the way, remeber to climb under the front of the vehicle and check the condition of the front cross member, these are very prone to rusting away. See other posts on the forum about this.

Hope you find this advise useful.

Are you sure about this guys?

I believed the 2.8 from 03 had cured this problem,,, initially as said there were lubrication issues due to the way the fith gear was housed, however I understtod it was relocated in with the main box from 2001......

Q Geo & Pappajohn, our resident mechanics

patr

Free Member
Jul 1, 2008
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Allen

If the Hymer is a 2004 model the engine will be the 127bhp 2.8 JTD and not the TD.

The 5th gear problem is exactly as described by estcres and seemed to affect those pre-2002 Ducato's with the gear lever reverse position, 'right and down'. If the gear lever reverse position is 'right and up' then it is the modified gearbox fitted to 2002 year facelifted Ducato's and shouldn't cause problems.

I have done over 40k miles without problems but if it does go then this excellent guide from Garry on the Fiat Forum is the one I will refer to!

Link Removed

Pat

OP
OP
walburga
Aug 20, 2007
Leyland
Funster No
MH
Frankia I7300 BD
Exp
since 1997 (many years tugger before then)
Allen

If the Hymer is a 2004 model the engine will be the 127bhp 2.8 JTD and not the TD.

Pat

Lots of good advice from here. How would I tell if it's a JTD and not the TD ? It's definitely on an 04 plate.

Allen

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Allen

The 5th gear problem is exactly as described by estcres and seemed to affect those pre-2002 Ducato's with the gear lever reverse position, 'right and down'. If the gear lever reverse position is 'right and up' then it is the modified gearbox fitted to 2002 year facelifted Ducato's and shouldn't cause problems.

I have done over 40k miles without problems but if it does go then this excellent guide from Garry on the Fiat Forum is the one I will refer to!

Link Removed

Pat

So im sort of right then? phew, for one min I thought my 55 2.8 was about to throw a reversing problem up.:thumb:

patr

Free Member
Jul 1, 2008
Mid Wales
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Allen

the easiest way to check the engine type is the actual engine series (not serial) number. If it is a Hymer A Class you are looking at it is on the Fiat Identification Plate behind the central bonnet release catch.

2.8JTD Motore: 8140.63

2.8D Motore: 8140.43s

Pat

Oct 25, 2008
Lowestoft
Funster No
MH
Frankia FF2
Exp
since 1999
We've had our 2.8 from new in 2003. Done 89,000 miles now. No problems other than a wheel bearing.

don't worry!:ROFLMAO:

Blisters

Free Member
Apr 2, 2008
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
March 2006
Hi Alan

Congrats on selling your Mirage, nice van someones going to enjoy that

as for the 2004 2.8 models, our Euramobil is the 2.8jtd and as done 22k no probs what so ever with the gear box, and it doesn't have a red key (£1000 to replace), the only thing I would say is that it will seem underpowered next to your old merc unless its remapped like ours or as a smart box fitted

incidently ours is for sale in the classified, of course you'll know what its like as youv'e been in it drinking my beer:cry: whilst the dog sucked your ears:ROFLMAO:, do you a good deal if your interested

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Are you sure about this guys?

I believed the 2.8 from 03 had cured this problem,,, initially as said there were lubrication issues due to the way the fith gear was housed, however I understtod it was relocated in with the main box from 2001......

Q Geo & Pappajohn, our resident mechanics

mines a 2001 and the previous owner had the fifth gear replaced......but who's to say mine isnt a 2000 model registered in 2001?:Doh:

i beleive the red key is in excess of £800 as the ECU has to be replaced as well.

this snippet taken from the fiat.co.uk/forum.

Hi
This vehicle is fitted with a “Code 1” immobiliser system.
It comes supplied with one Master key (usually red) & a number of slave keys (usually blue).
Only one master key is supplied with the vehicle and it is needed to store the codes of other keys in the memory in the event that you lose or damage a key or order copies.
No repairs can be carried out on the Fiat code system or genuine additional keys added, if the master key is lost.
If a fault happens with the immobiliser system, without the master key, you will likely have to replace your engine control unit, code/immobiliser control unit & a full production lock set.
It can be repaired but at a greater cost.
Kind regards
Fiat Marketing
Search "Fiat UK" on Facebook. Follow Fiat_UK on Twitter. Need some help? Call Ciao Fiat on freephone 00800 3428 0000.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back