First time insurance for a new motorhome user, reasonable? (1 Viewer)

Barry72

Free Member
Jun 20, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi, I have never been a fan of the cheapest of anything as cheapest is rarely best but just wanted some reassurance that I'm not missing anything before pulling the trigger on a new quote in my name.

The motorhome in question is a Hymer B575 Classic, for the past year I have driven it as a named driver on my fathers policy. Now ownership is being passed to me and I will be insuring it as my first motorhome.
It will still be parked on his property on a private drive away from the road, insurance is for unlimited miles, includes European cover and UK and Europe breakdown cover. Thatcham 1 alarm, tracker not approved so not mentioned. Myself and the boss as named drivers although she will probably only driver from the passenger seat.
The quote from Comfort was £451 without any no claim discount. The cheapest a comparison site gave was £291 without any European or breakdown cover.

Really just checking if there are any pitfalls to look out for or any specific questions I should ask before accepting a quote.

Cheers.

Barry.

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting
I'm with Comfort, full European breakdown with a limit of 10,000 miles. Age 62. I've just renewed after my first full year for £400, first year was £380. Apparently they don't give no claims discount.

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Hi, I have never been a fan of the cheapest of anything as cheapest is rarely best but just wanted some reassurance that I'm not missing anything before pulling the trigger on a new quote in my name.

The motorhome in question is a Hymer B575 Classic, for the past year I have driven it as a named driver on my fathers policy. Now ownership is being passed to me and I will be insuring it as my first motorhome.
It will still be parked on his property on a private drive away from the road, insurance is for unlimited miles, includes European cover and UK and Europe breakdown cover. Thatcham 1 alarm, tracker not approved so not mentioned. Myself and the boss as named drivers although she will probably only driver from the passenger seat.
The quote from Comfort was £451 without any no claim discount. The cheapest a comparison site gave was £291 without any European or breakdown cover.

Really just checking if there are any pitfalls to look out for or any specific questions I should ask before accepting a quote.

Cheers.

Barry.
That isn't bad at all for unlimited miles.

Vlad The Impaler

Free Member
Apr 22, 2012
Rutland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2012 but longer in my dreams
I'm with Comfort, full European breakdown with a limit of 10,000 miles. Age 62. I've just renewed after my first full year for £400, first year was £380. Apparently they don't give no claims discount.

Just double check on the breakdown insurance.They use to include it in the cover but when I renewed this year I assumed I had it again.However when I phoned to check found it was an optional extra now and it had to be paid for separately .

Vlad

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
That's what I thought, will check the details of cover and breakdown tomorrow when fresh before signing up. Need to do registration documents and tax too while I remember.

Barry.

Just double check on the breakdown insurance.They use to include it in the cover but when I renewed this year I assumed I had it again.However when I phoned to check found it was an optional extra now and it had to be paid for separately .

Vlad

Yes, they do two policies (can't remember their names) and it is quite obvious which includes and which doesn't. I've been with Comfort for a couple of years, mainly for the A frame, but they are competitive anyway

mustaphapint

Free Member
Oct 9, 2015
Worcestershire and Brittany
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Just starting

Vlad
Thanks for the warning, but yes I did check and I was surprised to find that as well as all of Europe it also covers reimbursement for any breakdown I might have in Morocco.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Some companies will mirror your NCD. I use Alan Blundell of Southend and always had best quote.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
We get hit ever year with the postcode lottery. Our Moho never goes nearer than about fifty miles to our house but because it's registered there we get hammered. Even had a policy on my Eunos refused as "we are not currently insuring vehicles in that postcode" anyone would think it was Aleppo not notloB :mad:

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
We get hit ever year with the postcode lottery. Our Moho never goes nearer than about fifty miles to our house but because it's registered there we get hammered. Even had a policy on my Eunos refused as "we are not currently insuring vehicles in that postcode" anyone would think it was Aleppo not notloB :mad:
It's probably safer in Aleppo than wherever that is.
Just saying :sneaky:

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009

Cheers.

Barry.
We're with Comfort and have been for at least 6 years. We pay about £335 for similar cover, with European breakdown, but have the annual mileage set at 6,000. Also, I'm almost certainly somewhat older than you.

Do you need 'unlimited mileage' and if not, could you save a bit by setting a limit - it can always be revised upwards at a later date if required.

OP
OP
B

Barry72

Free Member
Jun 20, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
I must of selected european travel and breakdown because that is certainly included.

We're with Comfort and have been for at least 6 years. We pay about £335 for similar cover, with European breakdown, but have the annual mileage set at 6,000. Also, I'm almost certainly somewhat older than you.

Do you need 'unlimited mileage' and if not, could you save a bit by setting a limit - it can always be revised upwards at a later date if required.

Not sure what mileage we will be doing is the honest answer, my father is in his 80's and had it limited to 5000. We got close to this but used it for less than 6 months and the first half our usage was restricted. We are using it far more often for just a night or two than I ever expected to. Also next year we are planing one or two trips to Europe plus a couple of longer tours around Scotland. For the price I'd rather not limit the mileage until I get a better idea of our usage, I would hate to use it less just because the mileage limit was getting close.

Barry.

OP
OP
B

Barry72

Free Member
Jun 20, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Asked about mileage, putting on a 10k mile limit dropped it down to £384 but...........I don't have the certificate for the Thatcham 1 alarm. I have everything else including full history, all MOT's and manuals. I even have two manuals for the alarm complete with code number. Will be interesting to see how much higher the quote goes without the alarm certificate.

Barry.

Golygfor

Free Member
Oct 1, 2016
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote G781
Exp
Ex tower now converted
New MH'ers. Comfort was £338 with breakdown. 6000 miles pa. Not a clue if that's enough, but can change it if needed. Business class free. Amazingly, It's £12 less than our CC caravan insurance? Next price was £490.

OP
OP
B

Barry72

Free Member
Jun 20, 2016
Perthshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Ended up paying £471, no Thatcham 1 alarm certificate so no discount for that even though it has one. Reasonably happy to be honest, first time insuring a motorhome so back to being a newbie as they don't take into account over a million miles driving a car without a claim or accident although I have been naughty and caught speeding 3 times. Glad we took the unlimited mileage option for the first year as we are considering a jaunt to the South of Spain around Christmas and New Year with further trips to France and Italy also planned.

Barry.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back