Winter storage drainage problem. (1 Viewer)

Steve826

Free Member
Oct 11, 2016
Blyth, Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kingsmere 590/RL
Exp
Since 2015
Hi.
I have recently bought a Swift Kingsmere 590RL year 2000.
I've been trying to drain waste water and it has 3 black 3" dia caps that needed removing. I have undone 2 and drained them but the third under the sink unit will not undo. The caps are a "bayonet type" that need a half turn to remove.
My question is has anyone any tips to remove it, or can I just put antifreeze down the sink to stop it freezing?
Any help would be appreciated.
Steve

OP
OP
Steve826

Steve826

Free Member
Oct 11, 2016
Blyth, Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kingsmere 590/RL
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for reply. I understand that any water trapped can freeze, then thaw and expand and crack the pipe.
I presume this can happen if there is any water trapped between a wastewater downcomers and wastewater tank.
Do you not agree Steal away?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I agree with stealway, dirty water will still possibly freeze, although inside the motorhome is fairly unlikely except extremes

The problem with pipes freezing, particularly supply pipes, is that the water has nowhere to expand to, unlike the waste system which can expand fairly freely without damaging the pipework (y)

remember to open all taps when done, that is a much bigger risk of damage, leave the taps open and any residual water will push out the end rather than splitting the tap, most of us will have done that at least once :(

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Steve826

Steve826

Free Member
Oct 11, 2016
Blyth, Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kingsmere 590/RL
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks guys. Assuming as i live in the North East we don't have this extreme freezing weather!! this motorhomefun forum is proving worthwhile already and I only joined this morning!!!

Upvote 0
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
you only get a limited number of posts as a newcomer its well worth the £15 subs to be a member

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
Steve826
You may not get severe frost every winter in Blyth but you do from time to time.
If you can't drain all the water out your tank add some antifreeze or salt.
As others have said make sure all fresh waters is drained and taps and showers left open half way between hot and cold.
Also empty toilet cassette it can definitely freeze and crack

Upvote 0
Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Steve826
You may not get severe frost every winter in Blyth but you do from time to time.
If you can't drain all the water out your tank add some antifreeze or salt.
As others have said make sure all fresh waters is drained and taps and showers left open half way between hot and cold.
Also empty toilet cassette it can definitely freeze and crack

Seriously??

I have never heard of a cassette cracking due to frost, there would be so much expansion space upwards that would be a serious frost, however I have cracked my flush pipe work when I thought the pink stuff would protect it, let me tell you it doesn't

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2016
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Globecar Revolution
Exp
Since 2006
David
David
Yes seriously
We are not that high up and have had -18c
Not every year obviously I think last time was 2010 or 11.
Its not just the expansion thats the problem a lot of plastics that normally have a bit of give become brittle with the cold.
Last winter we never had much frost that would cause concern but I like to err on the safe side when I can.

Upvote 0

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
PLEASE don't put antifreeze in the freshwater tank! I know the post says waste water tank but people have mis-read things before..................

Upvote 0
Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
About the best advice I can give on winterizing is - don't listen to anything I say. This time last year I made up a clever gadget to blow air through all the pipes and clear out all the water. It worked superbly, except I forgot to blow out the pipe to the toilet flush, and didn't run the pump long enough to get rid of all the water in it.

Result: new pump and new toilet solenoid valve (which requires dismantling the toilet).

In the northern US, where they have serious winters, they use an food-grade anti-freezing additive in their freshwater tanks of their 'RVs'. I've never seen it over here. Anyone know what they use?

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Steve826

Steve826

Free Member
Oct 11, 2016
Blyth, Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kingsmere 590/RL
Exp
Since 2015
Your helpful advice and comments have been most welcome. So much so that's I've invested £15 in a years membership. Now looking forward to the dewintering advice next year and the Motorhome fun continuing!!!

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back