Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Hi,
My Hymer has a button to retract the step which is ok but, my previous van retracted the step as soon as I started the van. Has anybody done it? Presumably a relay activated by the +D terminal but it should only activate for a second I presume.
I am sure somebody has done it but I can't bring anything up with a search.
It is a Project 2000 step.
Steve

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Should be easy you will need a timer relay I.e. one that the contacts close for a few seconds then open., plenty on ebay. You only have to connect the normally open contacts axross the step switch contacts. D+ terminal will be available on the Elektroblock.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
My project 2000 does retract when engine is started... There is a "relay" I assume... Under the seat near the door... I know this because I started the engine with step out... And could hear a clicking sound... So I investigated.... And alas found the unit... Only to realise that I'd left something on the step that was preventing it from retracting... Duh!

I could take a pic if you wish... But not this eve... :)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Mar 11, 2013
Gillingham
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2005
Recently this subject with wiring diagrams was covered in M.M.M. not sure which month.

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
The last step I wired to close on the engine run used a switch on the step which activated a buzzer when the step was out with ignition on..
It's just a circuit to ground when the step is open and when the step closes it opens the circuit. ..
The relay coil is supplied with the run signal.... which closes the step.. when the step shuts it opens the relay coil circuit. .
You can wire a small suitable capacitor across the coil which makes sure the step pulls ridht up.. ie supplies the coil momentarily after the switch opens the circuit. ..
Hope that makes sense. .
Andy. .

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
I sort of get the logic of why you would want it to close on engine start but I can think of 2 reasons not to and there must be more

we run our engine before pulling off, only a couple of minutes, but we need it running before we can raise our hydraulic levellers, but when started how would you then get out?

Also and a much bigger fear having nearly broken Bev's leg, she was getting in our old MH which had auto retract I started the engine luckily just as she put her foot on the step rather than her full weight so no real harm done when the step vanished from under her, but it scared the life out of her at the time

now we just hear the buzzer and press the button, it seems easy enough :)

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
now we just hear the buzzer and press the button, it seems easy enough :)
Not if your deaf like me:LOL:
We've been here a few times with the various pros and cons ..
I have to say I feel more comfortable with it closing.. driven off with it out loads in present van after been used with my camper self closing..
Andy

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
we run our engine before pulling off, only a couple of minutes, but we need it running before we can raise our hydraulic levellers, but when started how would you then get out
:)
By pressing the switch.:D
If you use a timer relay as I suggested the function will only operatrate for the first few seconds after starting the engine.

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Hi Lenny HB,
Is this Link Removed what you were thinking of. It would certainly work but of course the +D feed would be supplying power all the time so the unit would be powered up all the time.
The capacitor on a relay sounds good that @andy63 suggested as I have quite a few 12volt relays any ideas of capacitor size Andy?
@DavidG58 I understand your fears but I don't think that is an issue for us. Automatic retraction is far more important as I often mistake my reversing bleeper for the step out warning.
I will have a play when I get a minute, just thought somebody would have done it, hence the question.
Steve

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
I did post a while back as to whether the auto retract system could be switched through the handbrake rather than start.
This would cover both bases both @DavidG58 and those that prefer to close on start up.
I'm in the David g58 camp, I start mine up while I finish buggering about outside for a couple of minutes, but have to remember to stop a certain passenger from trying to get out!

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi Lenny HB,
Is this Link Removed what you were thinking of. It would certainly work but of course the +D feed would be supplying power all the time so the unit would be powered up all the time.
The capacitor on a relay sounds good that @andy63 suggested as I have quite a few 12volt relays any ideas of capacitor size Andy?
@DavidG58 I understand your fears but I don't think that is an issue for us. Automatic retraction is far more important as I often mistake my reversing bleeper for the step out warning.
I will have a play when I get a minute, just thought somebody would have done it, hence the question.
Steve
Hi.. a photo of the relevant section of the omni step instructions..

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
20161012_152533.jpg

Sorry for the mess I've made in posting... on my phone and it's playing up..:)..
The relay coil will have a voltage across it all the time the engine is running but there will be no current flow once the step retracts and opens the switch... the omni step had a switch built in but if it didn't it would be possible to fit a switch... it's just a path to earth which as I said opens when step retracts and the capacitor just makes sure it pulls up fully..
Andy

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Hi Lenny HB,
The description on those ones is very confusing, Link Removed will do the job.
The reason you use a time delay relay is because the D+ connection is on all the time the engine is running. The relay contacts will make for the set time only after that the relay contacts will remain open until the engine is turned off and will work again next time the engine is started.[/QUOTE]

Last edited:

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Hymer generally use acstep control module from Schaudt, this includes a trigger that can either be D+ (engine running) or more commonly through a manual switch by the drivers position, often on the knee trim. Personally I think auto retract is very dangerous, I know of atvleast one occasion when a lady suffered a very bad compound fracture of her ankle because of it. A warning buzzer and manual retraction is by far the better option in my opinion.

D.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It is worth giving some thought as to whether the auto option is the best. A friend of mine has a van with an auto-retract step and whilst he and his wife were on holiday he was doing something (testing something or simply fiddling :)) that caused him to turn on the ignition. His wife, unaware of what had happened, stepped out of the van. She fell and was shocked but unhurt. I've been known to turn on the ignition when parked on site and I asume others have to. It's a long drop if the van has double step.

Edit: just noticed Daves post saying much the same.

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Hymer generally use acstep control module from Schaudt, this includes a trigger that can either be D+ (engine running) or more commonly through a manual switch by the drivers position
Thanks Dave, would that module be within the EBL101 or elsewhere. So I may already have what I want anyway.
I understand the fears but we have had a self retracting step for 10 years without a problem although I must say it would not retract if the door was open so a switch on the door in series with the +D feed for the step to inhibit retraction may be the safest answer to overcome the accidents already described.
@Lenny HB thanks for the link that looks like the job if I can't find or don't have the module Dave has mentioned.
Steve

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
I realise that you have problem hearing buzzer but have you considered fitting a warning light at higher level that would remind you to retract step might be a little easier?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Thanks Dave, would that module be within the EBL101 or elsewhere. So I may already have what I want anyway.
I understand the fears but we have had a self retracting step for 10 years without a problem although I must say it would not retract if the door was open so a switch on the door in series with the +D feed for the step to inhibit retraction may be the safest answer to overcome the accidents already described.
@Lenny HB thanks for the link that looks like the job if I can't find or don't have the module Dave has mentioned.
Steve
Module with either be under one of the cab seats or under a draw near the door, normally there are two modules.

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Steve
What you want is easy to achieve, take an engine running signal to the switch/button by the driver and connect it to the output of that switch, job done!

D.

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
What you want is easy to achieve, take an engine running signal to the switch/button by the driver and connect it to the output of that switch, job done!
D.
OH... that easy. Does it not mind having power on it all the time?
Steve

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Good question. I don't think so but I'll check. I'm fairly certain that the "step in" switch on the step itself should signal the controller to stop driving the motor. I still say you're better off with the manual retract button but hey ho its your van.

D.

OP
OP
OldAgeTravellers

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
I still say you're better off with the manual retract button
Thanks Dave, I appreciate your concerns but having had both systems I prefer the automatic, So does my wife.
I tried the button with the step retracted and there seems to be a clunk from the motor so may be best not to have it activated all the time so the delay relay looks to be the best bet across the step button.
Steve

Aug 11, 2016
ipswich
Funster No
MH
Not sure
Exp
1 year
It is worth giving some thought as to whether the auto option is the best. A friend of mine has a van with an auto-retract step and whilst he and his wife were on holiday he was doing something (testing something or simply fiddling :)) that caused him to turn on the ignition. His wife, unaware of what had happened, stepped out of the van. She fell and was shocked but unhurt. I've been known to turn on the ignition when parked on site and I asume others have to. It's a long drop if the van has double step.

Edit: just noticed Daves post saying much the same.

Sorry guys but just read this post and curled up laughing. Could just picture my missus taking a dive like that. Would be worth the silent treatment or a week though.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The Omnistep as fitted to my Hymer has no limit switches and relies on removal of finger from switch to prevent the motor overheating. There is a recommended circuit for controlling it from a remote switch or from the ignition switch eying turned on.

Broken Link Removed

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back