Hab-Door ..Do they all do that.... (1 Viewer)

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
I have noticed that the Hab door has developed a slight bow in it...

That being it bows "outwards" where the lock is... viewed from outside...

This "bowing" becomes more prevalent when the door is in full sun ...

This means I have to really tug the door (from the inside) to get it to sneck on the "secondary" latch and give a very firm press when outside...

Is this "normal" for these type of composite doors or do I need to log a warranty claim?...

The door has no window fitted etc...

If you zoom in on attached pic you can see a bow of about 5mm from centre of door to top and bottom..

The door in pic is closed but not snecked tight so that the edge of door can be seen against side of Moho..
IMG_2752.JPG

John T

Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
We have a similar 'warp' on our door, irritating but doesn't cause any problems.

I don't know if it's normal but as our van is 6 years old, warranty is n/a so we live with it.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Yep same as ours too, slight warp like yours, actually seen others where the hab door actually looked open lol

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Mine is the same have to push hard to close it properly, but mine is 10 years old I think I would have a visit to the dealers if that was my van to register a fault and see if it is adjustable .

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Mine closes ok but I don't like the fact that when standing inside if I look down at the bottom of it there is light along the bottom edge from outside. In other words there must be a gap there and a draught.

OP
OP
Fletton

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Mine closes ok but I don't like the fact that when standing inside if I look down at the bottom of it there is light along the bottom edge from outside. In other words there must be a gap there and a draught.

If I could see daylight... I think I'd be a tad concerned.. :eek: .. But the bow effect ensures a tight fit both top and bottom if nothing else .. (y)

OP
OP
Fletton

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Mine is the same have to push hard to close it properly, but mine is 10 years old I think I would have a visit to the dealers if that was my van to register a fault and see if it is adjustable .

Can't see how it can be adjusted... I've looked.... It's hinged top, centre and bottom with only "vertical" adjustment on the hinges..

So any bow is primarily at the lock side of the door as opposed to hinged side.. I could however, adjust the locking mech.. If it was too difficult to close... But as I see it - leaving it prevents any further "bowing" presently :)

If anything ... It would mean a complete new outer door skin IMO... :unsure: But from what most say... It'll only happen again.. Sooner or later...

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Can't help with your problem but I'm impressed with the shine on your bodywork (y)

Maybe............... but look at the state of that garage door...

Really let`s the place down..

I`m guessing it`s a council house on a run down estate, and the council cannot afford to paint them... :wink: :rofl:

OP
OP
Fletton

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Maybe............... but look at the state of that garage door...

Really let`s the place down..

I`m guessing it`s a council house on a run down estate, and the council cannot afford to paint them... :wink: :rofl:

@old-mo :swear: :swear: :roflmto::roflmto::roflmto: :p

I'm presently parked on Sis's drive - had to return for a "mediation" session... (Total waste of 90mins of my life and left me £150 short to boot)

However, as we speak... Younger bro is (finally) manufacturing new steel framed doors for her... Hence their neglected state...

It's a love job ... So she's had to .... Be patient!!... Lol :)

I'll pass on your observations tho... ;) :)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
its not ideal but the door bowing is a common fault on most motorhomes. There is a sort of fix, but you have to be careful. in your case roll up two towels and put them on the door frame on the lock side one towards the top, the other to the bottom. then shut the door on the towels and push hard in the middle by the lock. this will bend the door a little bit. try a little bit at a time till the bow is reduced. i have fixed many doors like this

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
On my van, the door is straight but the van side is slightly bowed in. When they fastened the fridge housing to the floor during construction and before they put the sides on, they screwed the unit down about 5 mm shy of the edge of the floor. When the side was installed, it has pulled in the 5 mm, mostly around the centre/lock area, gets a bit draughty now and again. Tried to find thicker sealing rubbers but never seen any the correct profile for slotting into the door surround. Will try the towel tip though, thanks.

OP
OP
Fletton

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
@old-mo :swear: :swear: :roflmto::roflmto::roflmto: :p

I'm presently parked on Sis's drive - had to return for a "mediation" session... (Total waste of 90mins of my life and left me £150 short to boot)

However, as we speak... Younger bro is (finally) manufacturing new steel framed doors for her... Hence their neglected state...

It's a love job ... So she's had to .... Be patient!!... Lol :)

I'll pass on your observations tho... ;) :)

There ya go @old-mo ....

After waiting patiently for a further two years.....

Bro finally made and fitted the doors about a week or so ago...

7B755281-0778-4F17-92AA-4899390B6DD8.jpeg
8EBB32FD-1446-441E-9FD8-A69A03D3D52B.jpeg

Feb 22, 2016
York
Funster No
MH
Bailey 620 Approach
Exp
Since 2015
Lovely doors, nice shiny van. Now let's see you get the van in the garage! :D

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Different materials used inside and outside, both with different expansion properties.
Outer skin expanding faster than inner but as they are attached it takes on a bow.

OP
OP
Fletton

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Different materials used inside and outside, both with different expansion properties.
Outer skin expanding faster than inner but as they are attached it takes on a bow.

@pappajohn ... I (we) calculated the “co-efficient” of expansion... for each of the materials used...

The doors are steel , along with the frames... the (treated) timber has a “gazzilion” screws .. angled at precisly 32.5 degrees against thier “likely” movement... which will in-fact... cause them to tighten ... as they expand.... within the frames...

A tad like “old fashioned” floor boards... cramped too.. as installed...

So... nope! :cool: (y)

Oh!.. and for info @movan

OP
OP
Fletton

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015

@pappajohn... Oops.... jus realised... you may be reffering to hab door... as opposed to pretty pic of garage door... silly me ... :rolleyes:

Oh and @movan ... x

Mar 9, 2015
Heywood, Gtr. Manchester.
Funster No
MH
AS Broadway FB
Exp
Since 2008
I once had a brand new Chausson Flash 10 with a bowed door. First time out I parked to an identical one which was perfect so I complained to the dealer. They ordered a new one which took weeks to arrive and it was just as bad! I gave up.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back