5 days in France from 22 October (1 Viewer)

Aug 19, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2015
We are going to France for 5 nights and we know most campsites are closed and want to use Aires. I have a problem at the moment- I can't walk far as have a knee problem. The thing is that we would like to visit villages/towns and other places of interest close by that are easy to walk to. We are going through the tunnel so will start off at Calais.
Any Aires that you can recommend within about 150 miles from Calais that have interesting places near by would be really appreciated.
We have been along the coast to Honfleur but would like to try a different direction - any suggestion will be appreciated.
Thanks

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
Le Crotoy. Aire in town, by the sea. Dead flat walking, some decent restaurants. Nice beach. Couple of minutes walk from tourist train that goes to St Valery and somewhere else. (Not everyday at this time of year).
Sorry, it's in same direction as Honfleur but not as far.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
Would second La Mailleraye.

Not the most exciting little town but very pleasant with a couple of excellent boulangeries and a smart new Carrefour just a short walk away.
The best thing though is the river. Always something to watch with lots of ships and barges and if theres nowt happening there's always the swans to look at.

For an interesting town Montreuil sur Mer as already proposed.

Richard.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Gravelines, Berques, Arras and visit Wellington Caves or turn left and head along the Belgium coast towards Ostend, Brugges etc,
This would be my route as well, plus Ypres .
Nothing much to be by the sea for this time of year , mostly shut.

GeriatricWanderer

Free Member
Feb 1, 2015
Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso, just cos I can!
Funster No
MH
Pop-Top Campervan
Exp
45years
Veurne in Belgium. 42 miles from Calais, 15 from Dunkerque.
Not aires as such but convenient places to park up for the day with a short walk to a nice little town.
Fairly decent size parking bays.
51.07042, 2.66468 and 51.07084, 2.66599

I haven't been there for some time so would welcome any recent updates to these spots.

Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
One of my favourite aires is Fecamp (158 miles from Calais). I appreciate that it is in the same direction as Honfleur.

Park for free on the quayside near TIC overlooking a reasonably busy marina. A short flat walk to the beach in one direction, or take the slightly longer route (also flat) past cafes, supermarkets and shops. We were south facing, protected by a large building on the north and with views from east to west.

The "Benedictine Castle" requires a short uphill walk and also contains a few flights of stairs, but it makes an interesting variation on the "whisky tour". IF you are interested in modern art, then its gallery will appeal.

One year we spent a night in an aire at Dieppe (I think) and it was jolly cold, being in an old quarry(?) near the port, facing west so we didn't get sun until 11am.

Gordon

suavecarve

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2009
Surrey/Hants
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 685
Exp
July 09
4th nomination for Montreuil sur mer. Dont think its got water fill up or you have to pay but the ramparts walk is good. About hour and a half from Calais. One of the times we were there the toilets at the aire were used quite a bit by one young lady who appeared to have a problem and several gentlemen went in to help her. Adds to the entertainment !

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Fecamp was nice but we also liked the aires at Le Treport too. The one at the top is nicest - with a free funicular railway that takes you straight down into the town. You can take bikes in the cabins, and the beach is lovely with lots of restaurants and bars.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back