Cartax for a motorhome that is £515 per year. (1 Viewer)

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I have just read in MMM about a man with a Bailey he bought secondhand from a dealer, The road tax is £515 per year because the Original selling dealer put down the emissions figure from the CofC, that prompted DVLA to charge it as a Diesel Car and not a Motorhome, the figure was very high for a car as the engine puts out loads compared to most cars.
This is the second that they have mentioned where the figure was put down and the highest tax band applied.
It seems a senior DVLA person wrote to all the motorhome dealers in the country stating that the figure MUST not be put down on the registration application because of this anomaly This is why we pay £165 as a private HGV or £235 as an under 35500kg van.
It seems the new owner of this Bailey is stuck with it as the DVLA will NOT reissue the V5 in the correct format as it is already issued and must stand. Also there is a Luxury vehicle tax coming out shortly which they are also applying in addition to the higher road tax.
If you are considering a NEW motorhome make sure that the selling dealer DOES know about the emissions figure and to leave it off the form or you also will be getting a high tax band van that cannot be sold as nobody???? would be stupid enough to buy from you.
I think the new owner need to upgrade the weights to over 3500kg and drop the tax but it seems that the FVLA will not play ball with that either. as it is a CAR and a motorhome body, not a motor caravan. I feel a bit sorry for him but the original owner must have known and refused the vehicle, but probably did not know until too late that he had a tax lemon.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
That's similar to some VW T5's ( 2006/7 ?) . Vw put the emissions down & everyone who has one is stuck with a sky high road tax. Due to that the Following year VW discontinued providing emissions figures so they all go in the normal bands. Trouble is if you have one you are stuck with it as most aficionados no the score.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
In 2007 we purchased a Citroen C3 for Mrs mikebeaches. It was a new-at-the-time stop-start low emissions model. However, the emissions shown on the registration document were the same as a standard C3, with higher emissions. I battled with the DVLA - countless correspondence backwards and forwards - for almost two years, before eventually managing to get an amended registration document.

It was ridiculous - they would not accept any of the Citroen produced documentation specifying the emissions as proof of the lower figure. The DVLA claimed the figure they'd used had been provided by Citroen when the car was manufactured and that was it. End of. Period!

By the time the new registration document was received it put the car into a lower road tax bracket than a standard C3. But it was as much about the point of principle from my perspective.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
That's similar to some VW T5's ( 2006/7 ?) . Vw put the emissions down & everyone who has one is stuck with a sky high road tax. Due to that the Following year VW discontinued providing emissions figures so they all go in the normal bands. Trouble is if you have one you are stuck with it as most aficionados no the score.
I have one, 2007 T5 with the 2.5 engine, manual had emmissions of 249 I have the auto emmissions 252, the change of banding at the time was 250 so buggered me, the only thing to do is perhaps put a kitchen and a bed in it and change it to a camper !!! great motor though its a 5 cylinder loads of torque and goes like a rocket but tax is £500 per year

Candapack

Free Member
Oct 16, 2014
Fife, Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2013
What I don't understand is the bit about DVLA not reissuing an amended V5, when they do it all the time for other changes, eg weight upgrades.

OP
OP
GWAYGWAY

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Probably the one that weighed too much as it carried 200gals of rainwater in the roof.

androidGB

Free Member
Dec 28, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2001
What I don't understand is the bit about DVLA not reissuing an amended V5, when they do it all the time for other changes, eg weight upgrades.
Agreed, I don't understand if it was clearly registered as the wrong class.

I'm sure they'd manage to do it if it was the other way around

Andrew

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back