Should it Stay or Should it Go, NEC New Motorhome Maybe! (2 Viewers)

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Well most will know of the issues i have had with my New then Autotrail Delaware over the past 2 years, Now with the NEC coming up i need to decide how much i can afford to lose in a p/x with something else or keep for another year to try and save some more money up towards another one. I have been offered 50k by the dealer 6 weeks ago although that offer would of now expired. If i get something near that i will only have approx 20k to put towards another one maybe 30k at a push which puts me in the region of 80k no more. The next motorhome i want is an A Class but the carthago Chic E-Line is out of my reach new so i am thinking of may be an A Class Rapido 8 series or 9 series although i think the 9 series is also out of my reach. I definately do not want a british built one after now being bit twice in 3 years. I am going to the nec show so will have plenty to look at, i would like a similar layout to what we have, so island bed, loads of storage above the cab (not a bed), may be 4 seat belts in the new one for grand kids, needs to be same if not longer so 7.9m and above as dont want to lose space. My wife is being put off by the lack of space in the front on the vans we have looked at as our delware has bench seats and a small swivel table that goes out of the way which does give the impression of more room at the front. All the new vans seem to lack space at the front but i realise if we want 4 seat belts then it will need to be the L Shape as opposed to benches.

Makes i am going to consider are
Rapido 8/9 series although really i want the 10 series but way over budget
Carthago (looks to be too expensive)
Burnster (not sure but the tag axle is over budget)
Knaus (not sure as dont seem to do the length we want and layout)

Anymore i can find whilst trolling through the isles at the NEC

I have thought about buying abroad but with all the issues i have had i now think i will need to purchase in the UK (peace of mind on the warranty)

I may end up keeping it for another year and saving and getting rid of it on the 3rd year but will then need more money as i am sure it would of dropped in price by then :(

Thoughts & Suggestions welcomed.

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Not sure anyone can advise you on this as its your money you're spending!!
Sounds like you're sick of your current van but spending £20-30k extra for the new one coupled with the depreciation on the existing one wouldn't be a hit too many people would be keen to take!!

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Not sure anyone can advise you on this as its your money you're spending!!
Sounds like you're sick of your current van but spending £20-30k extra for the new one coupled with the depreciation on the existing one wouldn't be a hit too many people would be keen to take!!
I wouldn't normally but i am sick of this one, i have done so many miles just on warranty work. I expect a few issues but nothing like we have had.

The Motorhomes we like are 90k+ which is over our budget so if i don't find anything we will have to keep it for another year.

I do have options so not all bad, just depends on what i want to lose.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Get rid and buy one which is unlikely to leak in the future.
You've had a terrible experience, now it's time to move on and enjoy a new Motorhome

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
How about a hymer B 708? Thry look lovely :)
Just had a quick look online at these, they look ok so will add to the list and hopefully see on at the NEC, they may be over budget as the one i just found online was 95k

bluebob

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2013
West Lothian
Funster No
MH
Knaus 650 MEG
Exp
Since July 2013, moved from towing caravans
Go look at Bavaria. We short listed Rapido and Pilote and SWMBO chose that over the Rapido and Pilote actially build the Bavaria of which she preferred the interior. Excellent finished van and we feel great value for money. Good Luck this time whatever way you go.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Go look at Bavaria. We short listed Rapido and Pilote and SWMBO chose that over the Rapido and Pilote actially build the Bavaria of which she preferred the interior. Excellent finished van and we feel great value for money. Good Luck this time whatever way you go.
Not heard of these but i will certainly now look them up, thanks

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Not heard of these but i will certainly now look them up, thanks
See loads of Bavarias in Europe
Never seen a foreign registered Autotrail though

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
Sell your van privatly and if you buy in Germany or Belgium there will be quite a few Hymers in your budget. Hymer have a pan European warranty just take it to your local dealer if any problems, thats what I do.

Jun 16, 2013
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hymer CL 554
Exp
Since May 2014
Just had a quick look online at these, they look ok so will add to the list and hopefully see on at the NEC, they may be over budget as the one i just found online was 95k

Thats a lot, i saw that highbridge advertised them for just over £80k.

Billggski

Free Member
Aug 6, 2013
Stone
Funster No
MH
Overcab
Exp
European prices are creeping up, I find I can only get a price in euros, so 15% up already, and more to go.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
European prices are creeping up, I find I can only get a price in euros, so 15% up already, and more to go.
I have just read that the pound has now dipped below 1 euro (99 euro cents) at some of the exchanges this will now make it worthless to buy abroad until it changes.

etap

Free Member
Nov 19, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 610
Exp
3 years
Why don't you just buy what you want and enjoy yourselves whilst you can, it's just money and if you have enough use it for your own enjoyment.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Why don't you just buy what you want and enjoy yourselves whilst you can, it's just money and if you have enough use it for your own enjoyment.
I think you are right , for what I want I will probably need to finance some of it which I don't like doing as I always like to pay in full.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Buy now, and enjoy it. Even if you buy in the UK, a European made van is likely to be more expensive next year than this, as a result of the exchange rate.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Not knocking anyone for spending their own money, but some of you guys on here talk more money than most will see in a lifetime.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
I say go for it your only here once also take a look at the

Hymer M-LI 630

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Not knocking anyone for spending their own money, but some of you guys on here talk more money than most will see in a lifetime.

I think its the brexit effect the money is working its way down to the poor people ;):)

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I say go for it your only here once also take a look at the

Hymer M-LI 630
I will take a look at these at the show, we are going Saturday which will probably be the busiest day. Should of chose the Sunday but too late now as already got tickets with date printed on.

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
I'm simply amazed that at your level of expenditure you would consider buying new. For me buying s/H isn't a question of saving money - it's a case of getting much more for the amount I have to spend. The hit you take in the first few months at that price point would buy a decent family car.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I'm simply amazed that at your level of expenditure you would consider buying new. For me buying s/H isn't a question of saving money - it's a case of getting much more for the amount I have to spend. The hit you take in the first few months at that price point would buy a decent family car.

I agree but I want to ensure I get what I want and not get something that is nearly what I want, it may be that I don't find anything at the show that is suitable and I will then look at 2nd hand but I want to ensure the next one I buy is the last (if possible).

Cilfan

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
Flint North Wales
Funster No
MH
Desperately Seeking
Exp
Devout Wannabe
tonyidle, possibly because my bank balance has only ever been in the black to the tune of £80+k twice in my life - both times due to moving home - I have to agree with you. The VAT element alone (ie immediate write-off) on an £80k purchase equates to nigh on £13.5k which would make me weep.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
A wise and wealthy man once told me that you make your money when you buy things, rather than when you sell them.
Translated into normal speak, his theory was that you could mitigate depreciation to some extent by negotiating a good discount when buying
We sold our 1 year old Bessie for not much less than we paid for it, having negotiated hard when we bought.
Same thing with our latest van - 20% off list price, plus some extras at cost price.
I'd rather buy new and negotiate hard than buy secondhand for the same money.
It saddens me when people pay full price for something that they could have bought for considerably less, just by buying sensibly.

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
I will do what i have always done and play 2 or 3 against each other, the one that wants a sale will be the lowest offering the most and then only if i agree. If not i will walk away as i think this is key to any negotiation. I dont have to have it so can just walk away, of course i want one but only at the right price and having brought 2 new motorhomes in the last 3 years i am well aware of what i lose, usually when they know this they will work a little harder as they know you are not desperate. Of course on the other hand i may not even be here tomorrow so in that way of thinking i myself will always do what i want but the assistance from motorhomefun is always invaluable. :)

OP
OP
Z

zac

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 19, 2013
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
Rapido A CLass 10000
Exp
since 2013
Rapido Series 10 are they rear or front wheel drive?
Hymer ML-I630 front or rear wheel drive?
What are the warranties with Rapido motorhomes?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back