Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
hi has anyone come across a pick-up mounted aerodynamic aid to improve mpg. My 5ver has the aerodynamics of a brick -just done 1000 miles averaged 20 mpg. With a nissan navara ---- another more streamlined rig managed 26. Its still better than when i first got it pre-chipped then it averaged 17. Btw. Sorry to hear news re jackomet alan

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
hi has anyone come across a pick-up mounted aerodynamic aid to improve mpg. My 5ver has the aerodynamics of a brick -just done 1000 miles averaged 20 mpg. With a nissan navara ---- another more streamlined rig managed 26. Its still better than when i first got it pre-chipped then it averaged 17. Btw. Sorry to hear news re jackomet alan

I'd be WELL chuffed with 20mpg!:winky: I'm guessing you've got a Euro 3 Nav which is what I really wanted. Mines a Euro 4 (D.T.E chipped) and I averaged 16.6MPG over 3k round France.
As far as the aerodynamic deflector goes, I'm really not sure that you'd see much benefit TBH.. I recon that the weight of the shield plus mounting would probably negate any gain in aerodynamic efficiency.
Sorry.:Doh:

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi .i have one on my vw lt it was roof mounted on the pickup. ask in a truck shop i,m sure they can help you out hane you tried googling roof mounted spoiler ?or googlr lynton trailers manchester they fit them on their conversions .my mitzy as mountings in the roof for one but i havent got round to buying one yet. cheers alan.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+

20 MPG..................................Luxury ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

I dream of 20 MPG Towing..................My last trip round the back roads of Lincs was , let's say, nowhere near that

There is some benefit in the deflectors but I was reliably informed that the best way to improve economy is to reduce weight. So, :ROFLMAO: ask yourself, is the wife really necessary? :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:.

Seriously, I would look to lose weight on the whole rig before fitting a deflector.

HTH

Rob

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
keep telling you buy a Landy 22/23 gall regular as clockwork - only thing that changes it is the occasional Motorway hold ups when you do 20 miles in 1st gear.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi rob ,how much do you get running solo is a guide . i only notice a couple of mpg different so its not alot anyway. keep thinking of putting one on the mitz,does keep the flies and crap off the front of trailer . the other one wont fit nicely. seen a nice one on ebay but always too expensive for me. cheers alan.

Nov 10, 2008
Forest Row, East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
Mine is chipped and 19 mpg towing, 34 mpg not and it's a 08 auto.
Talking to a fleet manager and he remembered way back when he first put roof spoilers on his lorries and an instant 15% increase in mpg.
JK

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Mine is chipped and 19 mpg towing, 34 mpg not and it's a 08 auto.
Talking to a fleet manager and he remembered way back when he first put roof spoilers on his lorries and an instant 15% increase in mpg.
JK

Stewth mate, you're doing well there.
What chip are you running and if it's the D.T.E, which map and percentage are you running at?

Incidentally, where are your side indicators? I believe that if they're on the wing, it's a Euro 3 spec engine, where-as if they're in the wing mirrors, it's Euro 4

Last edited:

Deleted User
I have been thinking about an aerodynamically shaped top box and maybe killing two birds with one stone but I haven't done any serious research yet.I am averaging about 19 mpg pulling an Ultralite low profile which looks a lot more aerodynamic than the high profile models, this is with a Mazda BT50 which is only rated at about 140 bhp but seems to cope OK. Recently over the Alps via the Col de Lauteret into Italy and Croatia with no problems and didn't seem to affect the fuel consumption at all(what goes up must come down!!).Strong winds and rain knock the fuel consumption down, worst 15.5 mpg on the roller coaster south from Calais, so thinking maybe roof spoiler may work.

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
hi rob ,how much do you get running solo is a guide . i only notice a couple of mpg different so its not alot anyway. keep thinking of putting one on the mitz,does keep the flies and crap off the front of trailer . the other one wont fit nicely. seen a nice one on ebay but always too expensive for me. cheers alan.

Hi Alan

Running solo on dual carriageways I get 19 mpg US (21 ish UK)
Running A & B roads solo I get 13.5 mpg US (15.5 ish UK)

Towing Dual Carriageway I get 17 mpg US (19 ish UK)
Towing A Roads I get 12 mpg US (13.5 ish UK)
Towing B Roads I get about 8.5 mpg US (10 ish UK)

I blame the B road preformance, or lack of it, on the fact that most of the time on these roads I am in Tow?Haul mode which knocks out the overdrive gear in the 'box.

Nothing to do with my driving style, ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

HTH

Rob

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi rob . i didnt mean you to post it but anyway .i get 15-16 towing overall .about 18-19 solo so about the same diff. never tried the lt without the spoiler but got 17-18 towing 19-20 solo .so i dont really know . may fit the spoiler on one day before a big trip n see if it changes. dont know about maing them lightersure mine getsheavier every trip dont know what tools or bits to chuck out but keep adding more. ha ha so long as i have lots spare wt coming home i dont mind,cheers alan.

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
Hi Alan
................I am in Tow?Haul mode which knocks out the overdrive gear in the 'box.
HTH
Rob

I've been really interested/curious about this since I first heard the yanks offered it.
Apparantly it alters the 'box ratios and fuel timing etc?
Wish a similar thing was available on the Nav', just for peace of mind so to speak.

What do you think of it? have you tried hauling "with" and "without" so that you could compare?

robrobc

Free Member
Oct 16, 2008
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
None Now
Exp
5+
I've been really interested/curious about this since I first heard the yanks offered it.
Apparantly it alters the 'box ratios and fuel timing etc?
Wish a similar thing was available on the Nav', just for peace of mind so to speak.

What do you think of it? have you tried hauling "with" and "without" so that you could compare?

I have tried both, basically the Tow/Haul Mode does the following and I quote:

"The Tow/Haul feature improves transmission operation when towing a trailer or heavy load. All transmission gear ranges are available when using Tow/Haul mode (just goes to show what I know compared to my earlier post :Blush::Blush:)

Tow/Haul delays upshifts to reduce frequency of transmission shifting.
Tow/Haul also provides engine braking in all forward gears when the transmission is in the D position, this engine braking will slow the vehicle and assist the driver in controlling the vehicle when descending a grade.
Depending on driving and load conditions, the transmission may downshift, slow the vehicle and control the vehicle speed when descending a hill, without the accelerator pedal being pressed. The amount of downshift braking provided will vary based upon the amount the brake pedal is depressed."

No mention of 'box ratios or fuel timing although I can vouch for the fact that the fuel time spent in the fuel tank is very much reduced.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Oh yes, nearly forgot, Tow/Haul downhill is simply staggeringly brilliant. I can come down our local steep hill (1 in 6) fully laden, drop the 'box in to 2nd (D select) and feet off everything come down at the right pace. Fab.

I think that clarifies it (I hope)

Rob

Last edited:

tink

Free Member
Sep 9, 2008
derbyshire
Funster No
MH
5ver
Exp
30 on & off
keep telling you buy a Landy 22/23 gall regular as clockwork - only thing that changes it is the occasional Motorway hold ups when you do 20 miles in 1st gear.

I get about the same with the Transit Landy & 28/30 solo.I see you have booked for Oswestry, see you there:thumb:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi rob ,thats interesting about the braking. i have an exhaust brake ,very usefull but if i dont apply it myself going down hills or stopping ,i have noticed in its automatic mode every time i take my foot off the throttle it puts the ex brake on .of course i now have to accelerate more to pick up n go. it does cost in fuel. so now i try to only use it when in a hilly area . good for the mountains. best bit of kit if anyone is looking for a truck make sure it as one ,i can drive for miles in hilly conditions and not use the foot brake. seems maybe your system does something similar. cheers alan.

Wheelie

Free Member
Sep 26, 2009
Whitehill Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
2nd year
Interesting reading! I have just bought a chip from CCC technology which is being fitted on saturday to my 08 Navara. If i drive the Nav i get between 28-30 mpg depending on length of journey etc, if my missus drives it its down to 25mpg, it will be interesting to see what we get when towing the 5er xtreme lite. The chip is suppose to be slightly better than the DTE chip with a stated 210 bhp from 174 and 470nm torque from 403nm. I will update after the weekend on the missus driving as she has use during the week.

OP
OP
GIBLA53

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp
since 2002
Hi again my nav. Is a 2007 manual dte. Chip 0 setting 30-31 no 5ver 20 ish with . No-one seems to have a purpose made spoiler? Sure it would be useful alan

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Well I have the Isuzu denvermax on an 07plate and im getting 22 on average and with a good wind slightly more when towing our x-treme lite

Last edited:

Wheelie

Free Member
Sep 26, 2009
Whitehill Hampshire
Funster No
MH
Exp
2nd year
Interesting reading! I have just bought a chip from CCC technology which is being fitted on saturday to my 08 Navara. If i drive the Nav i get between 28-30 mpg depending on length of journey etc, if my missus drives it its down to 25mpg, it will be interesting to see what we get when towing the 5er xtreme lite. The chip is suppose to be slightly better than the DTE chip with a stated 210 bhp from 174 and 470nm torque from 403nm. I will update after the weekend on the missus driving as she has use during the week.
Well that didnt go to well today, we fitted it as per the instructions and took it for its 1st test drive, put foot down and went straight into safe mode, so decreased the power output and tested again straight into safe mode, decreased power again, test drove, back into safe mode, so much for plug and play chips!. will look at it again in the week

OP
OP
GIBLA53

GIBLA53

Free Member
Jul 26, 2009
Powys/Spain
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Compact
Exp