Bit naffed off with waitresses taking the change.. (1 Viewer)

Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
..... as their tip.
It's happened twice now - each time translating to a 30% tip which I was not intending to give!
Is this a German thing? Do I have to learn how to say 'can I have my change please'?
I'm not a mean tipper but this is taking the mick.
I don't tip frosty faced people or unhelpful ones and I like to choose how much I give!.
Rant over !

Ambilkate

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 15, 2009
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
HYMER 654
Exp
since 2006
Oh dear try and have the right change next time .
Loved your video of the Hymere 654 we have one to but without the L shape , was the seat belts added or is that origional ?
Kate x

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
A chinese buffet in town has a bowl on the counter for tips when I asked the waiter if it's shared daily weekly extra she said they never get it. Needless to say never leave a tip there again.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The typical way to tip is to tell the waiter the total amount you want to pay, adding the tip to the bill (and usually rounding to a whole euro amount). If your meal comes to 11.20 euros you can say to the waiter dreizehn (thirteen), and she’ll deduct that amount from the money you give her. For the purist, here’s the full sentence:

Ich möchte insgesamt dreizehn zahlen. (I would like to pay thirteen in total).

Or....

Ich möchte (amount) Euro zurück. (I would like (amount) euros back).

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
We have just returned from touring Germany, something i became aware of (eventually) is when paying your bill, hand over your money,saying danke schoen completes the transaction,

Eric

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
Ah thanks didnt realise that .
They don't accept visa debit a lot of places because visa charge high interest which is a bloomin hassle. (Wonder why that doesn't happen in the UK)
Our other card is an American swipe card which hardly anyone can use so we have to use cash almost exclusively which is a drag really.

OP
OP
Jac Sprat
Feb 19, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout 2013
Exp
Since 2016
@Ambikate thanks :)
The belts were originally there I believe.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Ah thanks didnt realise that .
They don't accept visa debit a lot of places because visa charge high interest which is a bloomin hassle. (Wonder why that doesn't happen in the UK)
Our other card is an American swipe card which hardly anyone can use so we have to use cash almost exclusively which is a drag really.
Germany revolves around cash, folk frequently buy their cars with it. Using plastic is still shunned by many.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Pay by card. Revolut is perfect.

Non-German cards can be a bit hit and miss in Germany.

I discovered that in a Restaurant in Garmisch when I had no cash.

I had a debit card, 2 credit cards and 2 currency cards on me, none of which worked. This was the same in every cash point in the town apart from the last one.

According to the, very understanding, guys at the restaurant there are several different payment processing networks in common use in Germany some of which don't like foreign cards.

Now for me Germany means carrying plenty of cash.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
The German banking system is completely different to ours. A transaction can take up to 14 days to complete. Most Germans do not even own a credit card and those that do are a pre pay type. Germany is one of the few countries where cash is still king and even when buying motorhomes dealers will only except cash transactions. On occasions like this, those big 500 Euro notes are a must. We think the UK banking system as abysmal, but when compared with the German banks our banks are shining lights of the community.

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Must be a great country for money laundering.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
even when buying motorhomes dealers will only except cash transactions.

Ja vee vill buy zee new Niesmann Bischoff, Gunter, go and fetch great grandpapa's Weimar Republic cash wheelbarrow from the attic, I knew we would need it again someday :)

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Ja vee vill buy zee new Niesmann Bischoff, Gunter, go and fetch great grandpapa's Weimar Republic cash wheelbarrow from the attic, I knew we would need it again someday :)

You dont need a wheelbarrow when paying with 500 Euro notes. 50 grand will fit in your back pocket :whistle:.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back