Brit stop ? Worth joining? France passion? (1 Viewer)

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
BritStops is like Marmite.
I love it. BritStops that is. I hate Marmite.
Some people don't love BritStops, because they feel 'obliged' to spend money at the Stop - I don't feel obliged and sometimes don't spend anything, but sometimes it's a weekend treat with a meal (if at a pub), or a convenient farmshop to stock up on fresh food, and last year I did all my Christmas shopping at a craft centre. Some are in fabulous locations and all, so far, have been extremely welcoming.

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
BritStops is like Marmite.
I love it. BritStops that is. I hate Marmite.
Some people don't love BritStops, because they feel 'obliged' to spend money at the Stop - I don't feel obliged and sometimes don't spend anything, but sometimes it's a weekend treat with a meal (if at a pub), or a convenient farmshop to stock up on fresh food, and last year I did all my Christmas shopping at a craft centre. Some are in fabulous locations and all, so far, have been extremely welcoming.
Personally I like Brit Stops. Had a few stops at pubs (used one for a meal, other one could use their sports facilities just for staying (for free)) and a vineyard. I don't feel obliged to buy anything but it's a free stop and IF you want, you can spend. It'd probably be the same as a campsite but got meal and/or drinks if you want but absolutely no pressure to do so.
Use a couple of times and paid for itself.
Used France Passion but so many Aires then found it pointless. All the Aires, Camperstop etc and all advantages.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
For me, Britstops just works.
I feel the same obligation to use the pub/farmshop as I would to use a Campsite shop when a supermarket is across the road ie none.
But if I'm going to open a can of beer - then I might as well have a pint in the pub.
If I'm going to eat out [which I do because I enjoy it as part of the whole travelling adventure] then it might as well be the pub.

Upvote 0
Nov 23, 2015
Burwash, Horsham & The Dordogne
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2016
We did a couple of French Passions last year... We liked them, bought some of their produce and wine, and would definitely use them again... I suppose the only downside to the one's we used was that they were off the beaten track a little... Other than that, they were great.. We have signed up to Brit Stops, but alas haven't used it yet..

Upvote 0
Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Britstops are great for me. I don't feel pressured to have a meal but often do and at the very least I would have a pint or two or make some small purchase. I think it would be very mean to not spend anything at the Britstop one happens to be on, just a drink or two is not much to pay for an overnight stop and it fosters further goodwill to future Britstop users. I think those running the establishment, if someone just drove away without at least a small token could hardly be blamed for not being so accommodating in future. A little give and take goes a long way.

Similarly for France Passion.

Upvote 0

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Not used France passion as yet, but totally concur with the britstop comments above. During our last trip over the summer period, it is a way of stopping over for a night without having to book anywhere and if you are going to eat out, then why not stop in a pub. The only thing is that you cannot relax awning out etc in a pub car park if you arrive early in the day and sometimes the pubs do not have adaquate dog walks from there. But certainly a scheme I will be signing up for again next year.

Upvote 0

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
If you go to France a lot and want to find deepest France then France Passion is probably worth considering.

We've never bothered joining but we have visited one of their sites, more by accident than design, and think they may appeal if you want somewhere miles from civilisation.

The site was a Champagne makers property, a view of miles and miles of vineyards from our parking place, and it cost us €8 for the overnight stop with hook up, fresh water and waste disposal included in the price.

The ones who stayed at the same time as us and who were members of France Passion stayed free of charge and had a free glass of Champagne provided by the owner – we didn't get the free Champers!

The village had no shops or eating establishments and was as quiet at night as the local churchyard.

I presume the FP members were encouraged by the owner to buy some Champagne, and I did see that at least a couple of people had bought some, but it is up to you whether to spend money or not. Although when you're getting a 'free' nights accommodation including hook up, water and a view to die for it might feel a bit churlish not to buy some produce - especially a bottle/s of Champagne from someone who actually produces it.

We've used some Britstop sites, pubs with restaurants, and each one was welcoming and ideal for a stopover.

We bought a meal at them and thoroughly enjoyed the meals.

Many stops seem to be car parks outside the pub but we never had any noise problems with customers going home late at night as the Pubs usually stopped serving reasonably early and long before midnight all the customers had left and the car parks were empty.

It's usually sensible to ring Britstop sites to make sure they have spaces, especially Pubs with Restaurants – you don't want to turn up and find there's a Wedding reception in full swing and no spaces available.

If you go to France regularly it may be worth joining FP but if you only go once a year you'll not get the same benefit – similarly Britstops isn't worth bothering if you don't go out regularly in the UK.

For both FP and Britstops you'll need your own facilities as they rarely provide them.

:france: :france: :france: :france:

Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2014
mid-Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 2006
Bear in mind, as newbies, that the key date is around Easter: if you join now, will you get your money's worth?

We used 4 Britstops on a recent tour of Scotland (and looked at a few others which we didn't fancy/ weren't in the right place at the right time). We bought coffee (£4.50) at a farmshop, nothing at a museum, paid £15 for a view and water (Falkirk Wheel - you don't have to be a BritStopper), £43 for 2 delicious sirloin steaks cooked to perfection with accompaniments & drinks at our favourite farmshop/restaurant in Northumberland (we made a special detour to go there, having been before).

We have, in the past, had EHU as part of the "facilities" but use it sparingly as it is costing someone else for our benefit.

We have never felt "obliged" to buy anything but always try to give something in return for our stay. A campsite would cost £10-30 and a meal in the van would be £2-5, with £1 for a beer or £2 for some wine/whisky so we are happy to pay something similar in return for the option to stand still for a night (and we don't have to cook/wash up). I can't remember one BritStop which was noisy/smelly/"unsafe" and I would like to see more BUT it feels like I ought to give something in return.

Your choice - Gordon

Upvote 0
May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
I bought the Britstops book once, but didn't use it, so have never bothered to buy again. I'm now a member of a facebook group called Campingpubs. Loads of info on there about pubs where you can stay, and I suspect that many of them also appear in the Britstops book.

Upvote 0
Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I bought the Britstops book once, but didn't use it, so have never bothered to buy again. I'm now a member of a facebook group called Campingpubs. Loads of info on there about pubs where you can stay, and I suspect that many of them also appear in the Britstops book.
There's also loads here
http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/articles/view.asp?id=117

Upvote 0

s7ev0

Funster
May 31, 2010
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit
Exp
Since 2009
Thanks for the kind words, folks! We're at the NEC this week if anyone fancies a chat and a browse through the book (also selling aires/stellplaten books if anyone needs one!).

Steve :)

Upvote 0

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We bought the Britstops and France Passion books when we bought our van in 2013. We didn't use any of them, so didn't renew membership.
We spend most of our time in France but the few occasions when we wanted to use Britstops, we either got no answer from the place we wanted to stop or they had no spaces or they didn't do it anymore.
We never found a place in France that was near where we wanted to stop, except earlier this year when a France Passion site was almost next to a free Aire. We stayed at the aire
I am sure they are great if you find stops where you want to go, but they aren't for us.

Upvote 0

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
Don't be surprised to France Passion sites in the middle of 'nowhere', you don't find many vineyards in town centres!! That is their niche....Go somewhere different and enjoy the experience...Most aires are quite similar even if they are convenient.

By accident rather than design we arrived on a France Passion site last Friday evening, we were looking for a stopover travelling from Italy to Limoges, choices were a free aire or FP site for 5€. The FP site had the better CamperContact reviews...

At 6pm when we arrived there was nobody else there, the owner was running around dealing with the fermentation of this years harvest so he said to the wife park beside the 'chapiteau', 10 minutes later we're back to see him, what is a 'chapiteau'...Now we know it is a marquee...By 9pm there are 4 vans, and we're all in the barn knocking back his free wine, the French are telling us where else we should visit or asking how easy is it to visit Scotland etc.

So at the end of the evening we've had a good night and a different experience, for a cost of 13€, we've got a couple of bottles of wine, a stopover with free electric because we bought some wine. Stopover would be free for France Passion members and in busy periods some of the plots would be reserved for them.

This one had a lounge, toilets and a 'chapiteau' for use by people stopping over, a bar/restaurant and boulangerie within a 10 minute walk.

My advice 'make the effort to go somewhere different'

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Don't be surprised to France Passion sites in the middle of 'nowhere', you don't find many vineyards in town centres!! That is their niche....Go somewhere different and enjoy the experience...Most aires are quite similar even if they are convenient.

By accident rather than design we arrived on a France Passion site last Friday evening, we were looking for a stopover travelling from Italy to Limoges, choices were a free aire or FP site for 5€. The FP site had the better CamperContact reviews...

At 6pm when we arrived there was nobody else there, the owner was running around dealing with the fermentation of this years harvest so he said to the wife park beside the 'chapiteau', 10 minutes later we're back to see him, what is a 'chapiteau'...Now we know it is a marquee...By 9pm there are 4 vans, and we're all in the barn knocking back his free wine, the French are telling us where else we should visit or asking how easy is it to visit Scotland etc.

So at the end of the evening we've had a good night and a different experience, for a cost of 13€, we've got a couple of bottles of wine, a stopover with free electric because we bought some wine. Stopover would be free for France Passion members and in busy periods some of the plots would be reserved for them.

This one had a lounge, toilets and a 'chapiteau' for use by people stopping over, a bar/restaurant and boulangerie within a 10 minute walk.

My advice 'make the effort to go somewhere different'
Excellent advice. We like FP and Brit Stops for those reasons

Upvote 0
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Thanks for the kind words, folks! We're at the NEC this week if anyone fancies a chat and a browse through the book (also selling aires/stellplaten books if anyone needs one!).

Steve :)
When will Britstops join the 21st Century and ditch the book in favour of a paper free online solution.
I love the concept but hate a book which is in accurate and outdated the minute it's printed
Save the planet and go online !

Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I like a book. I like browsing (it's just not the same online).
I don't like using ICT and anyway don't always have access.
So for me, still living in the 19th Century, I'd prefer BritStops to stay as they are ;)

(I'm no longer convinced that printed materials are worse for the planet than the detritus from out of date/ obsolete & discarded phones, tablets, laptops & desktops :unsure:)

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I quite like the book too. I think even given the choice I would still use the book in preference to yet another bloody app.

Anyway an app would be a dream come true for the FLT/general tightwads who don't think they should be expected to pay for anything.

Upvote 0
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I quite like the book too. I think even given the choice I would still use the book in preference to yet another bloody app.

Anyway an app would be a dream come true for the FLT/general tightwads who don't think they should be expected to pay for anything.
Why would the app have to be free?
Plenty of chargeable apps and those which expire

Upvote 0
Nov 23, 2015
Burwash, Horsham & The Dordogne
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Comanche
Exp
Since 2016
The book is very handy when travelling. It's all there in front of you and to be honest if you are travelling and there is very little internet signal connection, then a book is your only option. That said Robert is right, the book is out of date as soon as it's printed... I'm going to sit on the fence and like to have the option of both, if there is an internet one that would be great as there can be updates done immediately, but I have a feeling the trusty book will suffice for a wee while yet..

Upvote 0
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Thank you all some really good points and tips. Husband and myself gave our notices today! Gulp! It's going to happen now. Hope to meet some of you some day.

Regards Sharon
Best of luck !
Like most things in life, it's what you make of it.
Follow the sun, but most of all, follow your dreams

Last edited by a moderator:
Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
When will Britstops join the 21st Century and ditch the book in favour of a paper free online solution.
I love the concept but hate a book which is in accurate and outdated the minute it's printed
Save the planet and go online !
Maybe they will eventually but although I'm into kindle and other on line technology, I like the printed form. It's easy and that's why I prefer All the Aires rather than the on line camper thingys.

Upvote 0

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
The book is very handy when travelling. It's all there in front of you and to be honest if you are travelling and there is very little internet signal connection, then a book is your only option. That said Robert is right, the book is out of date as soon as it's printed... I'm going to sit on the fence and like to have the option of both, if there is an internet one that would be great as there can be updates done immediately, but I have a feeling the trusty book will suffice for a wee while yet..
ANY printed material is out of date as soon as it's printed. Newspapers is a prime example. Print certainly gets my membership

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back