Free Member
Aug 16, 2016
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer s820
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi I am looking to upgrade the tv in our Hymer, had a look on eBay, just wondering if there is a trusted brand or preferred choice that accommodates the above list.
Ian

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Avtex which if purchased via John Lewis has an extended guarantee , expensive compared to some but good picture quality especially on Freeview HD .
Customer service from Avtex is also good

OP
OP
Ian cable

Ian cable

Free Member
Aug 16, 2016
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer s820
Exp
I'm a newbie
great thx u, will have a look.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
We bought this one earlier in the year and it has been good so far. We bought it because it has an HD freeview tuner which is necessary if you want to use it France now, since all of their digital stations changed to HD back in the spring.

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Hi, We have tried quite a few and we like the Avtex best the screen angle is viewable from most of the van unlike many others (y)

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Avtex which if purchased via John Lewis has an extended guarantee , expensive compared to some but good picture quality especially on Freeview HD .
Glad you had a good service from Avtex. When I phoned about not getting TV in France, they just said obviously yours is one of those affected. No solution or suggestions from them as in the boxes on sale. Trying to decide whether to buy another expensive Avtex or just no TV in France. I appreciate it wasn't Avtex fault that France changed to HD but they were aware and also of the available set tops to get HD. It is only 2 years old.

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
Glad you had a good service from Avtex. When I phoned about not getting TV in France, they just said obviously yours is one of those affected. No solution or suggestions from them as in the boxes on sale. Trying to decide whether to buy another expensive Avtex or just no TV in France. I appreciate it wasn't Avtex fault that France changed to HD but they were aware and also of the available set tops to get HD. It is only 2 years old.

We had an issue with the remote on our HD model and Avtex delivered a new one via courier next morning , also had a problem with our older second Avtex with the remote sensor going faulty and again Avtex collected via TNT next working day and returned it 4 days later repaired FOC .

Last edited:
Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
As I said the Cello I posted a link for works in France (we were there a couple of weeks ago)

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
We bought this one earlier in the year and it has been good so far. We bought it because it has an HD freeview tuner which is necessary if you want to use it France now, since all of their digital stations changed to HD back in the spring.
+1 for this TV , i bought one and tried it out for 2 weeks in our 1st M outing in the uk,, worked great , still to try in france yet , but as peter already said it works there.
i also tried 4 or 5 different types of media on a usb stick and it played them all with no problems

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008

See below

Hi, We have tried quite a few and we like the Avtex best the screen angle is viewable from most of the van unlike many others (y)

Yes - the cheapo currys one we had is now relegated to the spare room due to the lack of viewing angle

We had an issue with the remote on our HD model and Avtex delivered a new one via courier next morning , also had a problem with our older second Avtex with the remote sensor going faulty and again Avtex collected via TNT next working day and returned it 4 days later repaired FOC .

No receipt (my bad) but after person or persons unknown :whistle: managed to almost pull the satellite connection out of the telly I phoned Avtex and they sent a courier to collect the following day, warning me that it would probably cost £60-70 to fix. Collected last Wednesday, repaired Thursday morning and arrived back working on Friday. I phoned them to ask what the bill was and they said "nothing" despite knowing the damage was not a fault. First class service and a great telly (y)(y)

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
The Cello sets are good, but the audio is very low
You are never going to get good quality sound form a small light TV. Earlier Cello models suffered an electronic problem with some TVs sound. However my Cello is a good sound - a little "bright" but you are never going to get a lot of bass anyway.

Jul 31, 2014
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
EuraMobil Activa 820HS
Exp
I bought a finlux 22" 12v tv earlier this year to replace an unknown make that came with my mh.
Everything has been excellent although the sound could be better, but we're probably comparing it with what we're used to at home.
I've overcome this by plugging a portable speaker in and its excellent now.
I've been so impressed that I bought another one for the rear lounge last week - same model and same set up with a Toshiba speaker.
Service from Finlux has also been excellent.

Aug 19, 2014
Cliftonville
Funster No
MH
A Class Burstner
Exp
Since 2014
We bought the Cello new 2years ago for our first MH. Picture was OK but the audio was poor and the tuning was variable

Bought a new Avtex and much happier with a better picture, much better audio and auto tuning much better.

Having said that, there was a cost difference of over £170

maxi77

Free Member
Mar 20, 2013
Kingdom of Fife
Funster No
MH
coacbuilt
Exp
We bought the Cello new 2years ago for our first MH. Picture was OK but the audio was poor and the tuning was variable

Bought a new Avtex and much happier with a better picture, much better audio and auto tuning much better.

Having said that, there was a cost difference of over £170

Having used both the Avtex is the best, don't go to France so cannot comment on that. Avtex does work in Portugal which is unusual as Portuguese TV is the standard that no one else in Europe uses. The Cello is OK for us and in a few days will be able to comment on whether it works in Portugal

Jul 5, 2013
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
Before the Cello I had (and still have) an Avtex. Sound is about the same on both. The picture angle on the new Cello is better than on the older Avtex. Cello also has a better picture, but I expected that because it is HD whereas the Avtex is only SD. We still use the Avtex in the motorhome bedroom.

Zepp

Free Member
Jun 22, 2008
Roaming
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years
Another vote for Avtex here

Join us or log in to post a reply.