Galicia and Portugal..Must see places! (1 Viewer)

Birtha

Free Member
Sep 25, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
Camper
Exp
Hi Funsters,

Can anyone recomend to us some must see places in Galicia and Portugal please. We just arrived in Galicia and have a month to travel down to the bottom of Portugal. We are going to most big cities but would like to know where you think is best for aires, views, beaches ect

Thanks
Phil, Sarah and Baby Thomas

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
just hug the sea ,some times you can be on forestry roads but they are ok.
heres us in arou. both trucks . so the woodland road is ok.

Attachments

• Spain and Portugal 09 - 10 533.jpg
    Spain and Portugal 09 - 10 533.jpg
    183.5 KB · Views: 37
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Birtha

Birtha

Free Member
Sep 25, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
Camper
Exp
Sound I will give that a whirl.
Thanks
Nice trucks btw, do you live in yours ? Or just for holidays ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i sugest you have a look in a good book shop and try and get a mapamax mapbook of spain and portugal. it shows lots of places and roads on the coast that never seem to be on other maps . we play being on the nearest road to the sea all the way round spain galecia and portugal. take every road you can to the sea . theres some real great places . again if your in the van on your avatar you will be ok . ideal for the forestry roads .

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Sound I will give that a whirl.
Thanks
Nice trucks btw, do you live in yours ? Or just for holidays ?
purple bob lives in his ...dont know why he is called purple bob . ha ha . i only live in mine when traveling . usually every winter.

Upvote 0

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Not sure if it's in Galicia ( I think it is) but we like Isla near Noja.

Car park right on the sea front where I have seen lots of vans out of season.

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Not sure if it's in Galicia ( I think it is) but we like Isla near Noja.

Car park right on the sea front where I have seen lots of vans out of season.
long way from galicia . its east of santander . galicia is right over to the west.
never mind keep taking the tablets . have you any spare ones .hee hee

Upvote 0

Deleted User
And if you keep to the coast and forest tracks don't forget to take the 2 ton of 'get me out of the shit' gear that @vwalan carries with him:)

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
And if you keep to the coast and forest tracks don't forget to take the 2 ton of 'get me out of the shit' gear that @vwalan carries with him:)
just drive steady and he will be ok.
i do carry alot but at times we do play paris dakar driving . hee hee .
there really is some fantastic places though if you hug the sea . going down portugal as well . .yes sometimes you go along way down a track and have to come back again . then go down the next one and your only half a mile from where you were two hours ago. but we have done just about every track /road over and over again . might even be doing it later on this year .depends on the weather when we land in spain .
another nice place in the middle or nowhere above tocha .https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@40.3...4!1ss7PQUWvd6gHpwStadFkftQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656
always make sure you fill with water at every opertunity and always have a couple of weeks dried tinned food etc in reserve . going shopping isnt going to happen .
first went here in the 60,s as a child .

Upvote 0

cliffanger

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 15, 2013
Saltford
Funster No
MH
Hymer A class
Exp
Since 2013
Santiago de Compostella, there is an Aires in Milladoiro which in itself is a nice town with amazing tapas bars. Stay there overnight and then drive the van into the Park and Ride and catch the bus into Santiago.

Cangas de Onis

Cabarceno Nature Park. There is a lakeside Aires in an elephant reserve!

Fatima - lovely Aires right next to Fatima which had to be seen to be believed......

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i forgot to say we never use campsites .aires or anywhere you have to pay. never use toll roads ,motorways .avoid duall carriageways . visit every village . you find water and fonts in villages and somewhere to tip your waste . is paying allowed i,m sure its not .

Upvote 0
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
If anywhere near Fatima, then Cabos da Bode has a great camp site overlooking the lake/dam (Parque de Campismo). Near to Fatima and Tomar, and down the road from Alcobaca

Sao Martinho, plenty of space on the site overlooking the bay, otherwise plenty of wild camping there orat Arelho do Foz (10 mins away)

Orbitur Mira, just down from Aveiro is worth a trip

Enjoy

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Try the Rías Baixos wines, which come from the west facing cost north of Vigo. But as already suggested you really can't go wrong just creeping along the coast.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Birtha

Birtha

Free Member
Sep 25, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
Camper
Exp
Thanks very much for the inspiration and information, its just what we need. I will defo look into taking some coast roads and getting a better map. Could be a bit risky with a 4 month old little fella on board but im sure we can check out some.

Upvote 0

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Thanks very much for the inspiration and information, its just what we need. I will defo look into taking some coast roads and getting a better map. Could be a bit risky with a 4 month old little fella on board but im sure we can check out some.
my kids were brought up on them roads . far better than being in cold wet uk.
i took my youngest back through there only 4 years ago . mind he was 35 yrs old then he still knew where taps etc where . many places are almost untouched for years as others are concrete jungles . he even found carvings on some of the tees him and his brother had done years before . mind you might not be allowing enough time its along way down through portugal etc . we used to take all winter.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Birtha

Birtha

Free Member
Sep 25, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
Camper
Exp
Sounds like youve done what I hope to be doing in the future. Ive just got to iron a few things out back in the uk then i should be able to take the winters off.

Upvote 0

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Sounds like youve done what I hope to be doing in the future. Ive just got to iron a few things out back in the uk then i should be able to take the winters off.
There's the catch, I wouldn't recommend Galicia for the winter. It will be a shade warmer than the UK I suspect but no drier. But give it a go, there will be some great spells of good weather as there are in the UK in the winter.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
OP
OP
Birtha

Birtha

Free Member
Sep 25, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
Camper
Exp
Im there now, its,not to bad at the min, its,got to be better than the uk.

Upvote 0
Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Not good at links but search Peaceful Portugal,plenty of beautiful calm places to visit in Centrap Portugal.
One site is two old houses in the middle of nowhere where they kept ice in the old days before shipping down the river to Lisbon for the king.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back