Looking for a Hymer, but not this one...... (1 Viewer)

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We sold our Autosleeper to fund our new house and bought an RV to live in, now we have sold our RV as we are no longer going to be living in it. Now we are looking for a cheap Hymer.
But not this one, anybody else think its a scam?
Apparently the seller is working in Northern Ireland but will deliver it at her cost and I can keep it for 7 days to inspect it and return it if I am not happy.................
Link Removed

Allan

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
That is the usual pattern for the scam pay for it first though. Rather cheap although it is oldish a R reg.
Going to the house might be interesting as it was a previous advert??? and hijacked for a scam. If you look on other items for sale there is another motorhome a landrover defender and a Vito for sale as well.

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Definitely a scam. Looking at the other items the guy has, they are way too cheap. The Land Rover for example is at least half its true sale value (unless a rebuilt write off).

Good luck with the hunt, there are some gems out there but you need to be careful!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
I asked if I could view it before making a decision and funnily enough I had no answer!
Reported to eBay as a scam.

Hils and Glenns

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 13, 2015
N Yorks
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 674
Exp
Since 2015
I spotted this one as a scan and another one that sold a few days ago. Link Removed
Link Removed
Both on sale within 4 days of each other so will be long gone by the time the scam comes to light. If you look at both adds they are very similar and seem to be being sold by people who have done a lot of cheap french transactions to build up a 100% reputation.
I suppose ebay will refund the buyers.

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
I think the scammers use a false PayPal account so Ebay probably won't be interested

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
scammer are usually trying to draw you out of the reasonabley secure e bay/paypal environment which is why any add with e mails and phone numbers in the text is a cause for alarm

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
There are an awful lot on eBay at the moment. I've reported some hut 2 days later the ads are still live. You would think eBay would be a bit more pro active.
Anyway, off to see an old Hymer today, no money will change hands before I've driven the van and seen all the paperwork.

Deleted User
It will be back soon. I have reported the same trader who is selling motorhome, caravan, land rover, many times to ebay but the ads get posted again next day.
Problem is that there is no incentive for the likes of ebay to remove the scams because they don't lose out financially and presumable still make profit out of the fraudulent listings. They rely upon the public to report the frauds. It's about time they were made responsible for fraudulent listings

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
They get a fee for listing classifieds so I guess they will carry on taking ads. If they were made to compensate victims of scams on their website, they may have to do a bit more work to stop them.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Get one like this. Cheap, but well built. (y)

$(KGrHqJHJEkFIgvq3iVPBSLk4ol-Fg~~60_57.JPG

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Get one like this. Cheap, but well built. (y)

View attachment 127754
We looked at a few of those, interiors were very well built but all had sufferered from leaks in the past and the outer alloy skins were deteriorating and crumbling in places on both along with various dings dents and cracked windows.
So, we decided to widen our search, looked at an awfully damp Autotrail with polyfiller bathroom roof and extra plywood wall panels to hide the damp patches and a few more European vans that had damp, sticking doors and mouldy cupboard interiors, but finally settled on another British built van, a Swift Royale.
Old, but no signs of damp, mould, rust or damage, all original and 50k on the clock. Drives like a dream and will be fully serviced before we pick it up next week.
As long as it sees us through the winter and gets us to warmer climes over Christmas, it will be fine.
Shame, I really wanted a Hymer.......

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
Just to catch up. Did the swift make it through the winter. I have a Elddis 400. It is on a g reg That I have had from new. We hope all went well for you. @Allanm .

OP
OP
Allanm

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Exp
Since 1987
Hi. Yes, travelled 6000 odd miles in it since we bought it and love it. A few electrical gremlins sorted out but has been a great van so far. We are in southern Brittany at the moment enjoying the sunshine.

cruiser

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 12, 2012
northampton
Funster No
MH
coach built elddis 400
Exp
since 1978
Oh well done. We have just got ours through its MOT. But we have a few Fostering Weekends to do. And a few meets in this country. But we will be coming over in sept for about 8 weeks . Hoping to get down to Elvon again.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back