DAB stereo (1 Viewer)

Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
Got a pioneer stereo in my fiat rapido a class. Bog standard no usb no bluetooth. Does not appear to work properly as radio is poor to say least. Could be aerial not checked. However fancy a more modern unit.
Can anyone recomend a replacement unit along with an aerial (should I need one)
Also is it best to replace with another pioneer due to connectionsome or doesn't it make a difference. Assume all speakers will just be plug and play?

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
We've got a new 2016 Rapido van conversion (V68), which came with a standard Pioneer DAB radio. The sound and performance is excellent. Additionally we were amazed at how well it received BBC R4 (Long Wave) and Radio 5 (Medium Wave) whilst we were touring in the north and centre of France - much better than any radio we've had previously.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Not got one yet looking at
Pioneer DEH-X7800DAB
Good luck with the radio, ours is total crap even with a dab aerial stuck on the window.:mad:
On the up side it picks up music from Mrs Badknees iPad and our phones via Bluetooth a treat. Plus there's a USB port on the front to stick a memory stick up its chuff. :LOL:

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I've got a Pionerr DAB from Halfords and is superb. Was only about £80.

Spanishsteve

Free Member
Oct 18, 2014
Eastbourne
Funster No
MH
Hymer 578
Exp
I have had DAB radios on my last 2 vw cars, reception on both was and still is iffy in East Sussex. Driving between Surrey and Eastbourne was frustrating, whereas good old FM only played up in specific areas around Brighton/Lewes. Thank god they haven't turned off the FM transmitters, yet.

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
I have had DAB radios on my last 2 vw cars, reception on both was and still is iffy in East Sussex. Driving between Surrey and Eastbourne was frustrating, whereas good old FM only played up in specific areas around Brighton/Lewes. Thank god they haven't turned off the FM transmitters, yet.
It's called progress! ;)

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Good luck my experience of DAB radios is not good.
Have one a Sony in my car and another in the m/home can't say either re particularly great. The one in the car is factory fitted and brilliant when it works but a lot of the time fails to get a decent signal but the one in the van is crap in fact its so bad we don't even turn it on just use it too play our own music through either cds or Ipods.
The old original radio cd player from 2002 was far better.

Cilfan

Free Member
Aug 3, 2016
Flint North Wales
Funster No
MH
Desperately Seeking
Exp
Devout Wannabe
Pioneer had an excellent name many moons ago - when I last bought an aftermarket system - and presumably have retained it. However, don't think that you have to keep to the same brand just to simplify connection. Any motor accessories shop that sells hi-fi will have a selection of short harness adaptors to enable a "plug and play" installation.

As to an aerial, in my experience there's no substitute for a good one of these. GRP/fibreglass bodies don't help matters, best reception requires a good earth and I've been known to run an earth lead to ensure this in the past. Of course I'm old school and modern technology may have found a way round this.

Hope this helps.

Big Nick

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Coachbuilt
Exp
Forget DAB if you are on the move, it's total crap in my experience and always drops out
Good when stationary in a strong reception area though

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
aerial aerial aerial!!! DAB+ will and and does work fine IF it can receive a signal, on my A class i had very poor reception so changed to a DAB unit with no improvement, after trying out a variety of stick on aerials and a couple of post aerials i decided to fit a quality DAB/FM/ AM roof aerial from Dabonwheels, the reception was nothing short of amazing, i can pick up the stations i listen too LBC/BBC2345 Heart/magic practically anywhere in the U.K. I travel to the west country and Scotland regularly
and get no drop outs, It's the same Sony head unit that gave poor or no reception and the only thing i changed was the roof aerial so do the maths!
it doesn't matter how expensive the head unit, Without a quality aerial you will not get a decent reception,

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
Exp
since 1971
good place to start to find a suitable aerial for your MH,
i fitted the Kinetic roof aerial with extension cable for both DAB/ FM,

OP
OP
Jagtazman
Jan 31, 2016
Halifax
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 9097F
Exp
June 2016
good place to start to find a suitable aerial for your MH,
i fitted the Kinetic roof aerial with extension cable for both DAB/ FM,
Thx appreciated which model number did you get love the list you posted just a little confused by choices
How did you earth it being on the roof?

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
Exp
since 1971
I picked a roof aerial with a five star rating in my case an
Kinetic DRA6002 suitable for my Sony head unit,
the aerial need a ground plane to work any were near its full potential so in my case having a composite roof i drilled down into the wardrobe after cleaning away the insulation below i used adhesive copper tape radiating out from the base of the aerial with one strip going down the rear of the wardrobe and terminated with soldered wire to my metal seat base in the lounge that in turn is bolted to the chassis,
it's seems a lot of work but took about a day to complete and in comparison to the time and effort i had already spent trying for a decent reception IMO time well spent,
the copper tape is available from garden centres to stop slugs/snails climbing up flower pots and works a treat,
obviously you will need extension cable for the longer run back to the radio and power to the aerial as well but in my case all readily available in the wardrobe,

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )

This may be of interest...

The Government has ruled out switching off FM transmitters for the foreseeable future, leaving the radio industry facing years of uncertainty over the future of digital radio.

Ed Vaizey, the communications minister, told the industry much more needed to be done to persuade listeners to convert to DAB before a date can be set.

It was a formal rejection of calls by the major commercial radio groups for FM to be switched off in 2018, already three years later than the original 2015 target. Bauer Media and Global Radio have urged the Government to set a date to force more listeners to migrate. They are keen to make savings by decommissioning their analogue equipment.

The refusal was welcomed by independent commercial radio stations, however, most of which remain FM-only and fear the capital outlay a timetable would impose.

Mr Vaizey said: “I regard my role as a supporter and enabler of digital radio but… the key point is the radio listener and I completely respect the people’s passion for radio and not being made to do something they don’t want to do.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
Exp
since 1971
It's a shame the same couldn't be said about general aviation! i have to effectively throw away a perfectly good 25mz radio next year and fit An 8.33mz radio at a cost of £2000 +fitting on the back of EU regulation to help the airlines have more frequencies, the cost to the airlines 1p per passenger whilst GA have to stump up there own cash,
but the bottom line is Digital radio is being introduced country wide and FM transmitters shut down so if you plan on upgrading your radio then buy a DAB unit and future proof your installation,

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back