The Best Oven Ever!! JML Halogen Oven (1 Viewer)

juliandavies

Free Member
Dec 12, 2008
Crystal Palace, London
Funster No
MH
29ft RV
Exp
18 months n counting
Stumbled across this in Asda Living and its gotta be one of my best buys ever.
Looks too good to be true but it is!
Even cleans itself and creates a lovely warm glow through the RV - perfect for the winter.

Link Removed

Bugsy

Free Member
Oct 25, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since December 2008
Halogen ovens

I've been wondering if these ovens were any good. They used to be advertised only on TV but I've noticed that they are now available in places like Homebase and Makro, but I've never found anyone who has actullay bought one who could confirm that they are as good as they are made out to be.

I have also wondered how long the halogen element lasts and how much a replacement would cost or maybe it would be cheaper to chuck it away and buy another one!:winky:

Toni

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Carthago C Tourer
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 9
Hi Julian and thanks for that, Your still at it I see, hows things? Like your location, just down the road and handy to pop in and watch the eagles play!!!!:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

highwayman

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Herne Bay
Funster No
MH
Low profile Rapido
Exp
Since 2005 ish
They reviewed five of these in todays mail, looked like a good idea to me.
Shame that i left the paper in the cafe and can't remember which one they said was best :Doh:
As for the element, it'll probably be like the light bulb in our microwave.
If it's gone you can't replace-it yourself and currys gave us a new machine :Doh: for the sake of a bulb :Doh:

regards...nige

AdgeRas

Free Member
Sep 17, 2009
Bristol
Funster No
Exp
They reviewed five of these in todays mail, looked like a good idea to me.
Shame that i left the paper in the cafe and can't remember which one they said was best :Doh:
As for the element, it'll probably be like the light bulb in our microwave.
If it's gone you can't replace-it yourself and currys gave us a new machine :Doh: for the sake of a bulb :Doh:

regards...nige

Hi folks.

Here is a link to the test in the Mail.

Halogen ovens: They roast a chicken in 30 minutes, clean themselves and cost just £40 | Mail Online

Adge

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
OP
OP
juliandavies

juliandavies

Free Member
Dec 12, 2008
Crystal Palace, London
Funster No
MH
29ft RV
Exp
18 months n counting
Hi Julian and thanks for that, Your still at it I see, hows things? Like your location, just down the road and handy to pop in and watch the eagles play!!!!:thumb:

:Smile: I'm a Town fan - first win of the season on sat!
Hope Tara is well? Give me a shout if youre ever in PAlace - 07956399710

bevo

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
north west
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
halogen ovens

we have a prolectric halogen oven rated at 1100 watts.
we are still getting used to it but it cooks a mean tasting chicken, and roasted spuds at the same time.
the instructions says cook ckickens at 180 degrees but we find full power much better.
it's supposed to do pizas also but not done any.
we are sort of made up with it but are still experimenting with it.
lights the van up a treat.

OP
OP
juliandavies

juliandavies

Free Member
Dec 12, 2008
Crystal Palace, London
Funster No
MH
29ft RV
Exp
18 months n counting
How much power do they draw please? :RollEyes:
one of the comments from the Mail article... It only uses 1300watts
It is supposed to be very energy efficient

I had the jml oven given to me by my mother. As we live on a boat we needed something small and efficient and cost effective. With the jml oven we have found the perfect machine. It only uses 1300watts so can be run on the generator. Excellent bit of equipment, wonderfull tasting food. Roasts just like our oven at home makes beautiful cakes, scones, biscuits,stews wonderful wouldnt be without it.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/food/article-1224816/Halogen-ovens-They-roast-chicken-30-minutes-clean-cost-just-40.html#ixzz0VoKXDxLr

OP
OP
juliandavies

juliandavies

Free Member
Dec 12, 2008
Crystal Palace, London
Funster No
MH
29ft RV
Exp
18 months n counting
we have a prolectric halogen oven rated at 1100 watts.
we are still getting used to it but it cooks a mean tasting chicken, and roasted spuds at the same time.
the instructions says cook ckickens at 180 degrees but we find full power much better.
it's supposed to do pizas also but not done any.
we are sort of made up with it but are still experimenting with it.
lights the van up a treat.

sounds like you like it as much as I do!

daps

Free Member
May 24, 2009
Cambridgeshire. UK
Funster No
Exp
A few Months
Can you do a nice bowl of chips in them though?.. We are looking at one of those
Tefal Actifry machines and cannot decide Halogen or Actifry.

Randonneur

Free Member
Mar 31, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
4 years
We bought a Halogen Oven about 4 years ago and have now given it to my daughter, it is the large size (12 lt) and a bit too heavy for the van. Have a look at TJ Hughes - TJ Hughes Online department store selling big brand names at discount prices. under Halogen Ovens and you will find that they do different sizes, the 7 lt seems just about right, good bit of kit. Will do oven chips as well. By the way TJ Hughes only charge £5.50 delivery.

As far as the Tefal Actifry is concerned, Watchdog did a big piece on them as they were setting on fire, the results are probably on their website.

Apr 29, 2009
West Yorkshire...Halifax
Funster No
MH
Vanless....BUT....!!!!
Exp
Since 2007
A friend of mine has one at home and swears by it says he's not used his "proper" oven at all since he got his halogen jobby..as for the power they draw if it's 1300 watts that will be in the region of 5/6 amps if me memory serves right so if your on a site with only 6 amps it could be trip out if your not careful
Not totally sure meself but if "The Management " says we need one then we need one don't we ??:RollEyes::RollEyes:

tommytli

Funster
May 26, 2009
lancashire
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since july 07
we use the jml oven for all our cooking in the m/h::bigsmile: i even do a full english in it and it only takes about 10mins thats including boiled eggs, and yes it boils an egg aswell:winky: everything in it tastes brill,

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Umm i thought about buying one of these ;but was put of by a coupe of reviews, although they worke wel they failed after a perid of time due to rusting action inside where the element was.

Regards

May 22, 2008
Funster No
Same principle as the Remouska, and they are great, food is cooked by heat from the lid, Remouska is low wattage and come in three sizes, good bit of motorhome kit.:thumb::thumb::thumb:

tony morris

Free Member
Jun 27, 2008
Calcot Reading Berkshire
Funster No
MH
bailey caravan
Exp
30 months mh 40+ years tugger and camping
Can you do a nice bowl of chips in them though?.. We are looking at one of those
Tefal Actifry machines and cannot decide Halogen or Actifry.
=tony I dont buy the Tefel Actfry we bought one from our locol costo store used it once wife found it to be useless took for ever to cook a few chips came out tasteless (she thought not enough oil to make nice chips?) we took it back and were lucky they gave us a full refund (she told them why we took it back) they told her they would pass on her comments to there head buyer. we then saw the Jlm Halogen Oven on sky shopping channel we bought one, it doe,s everything what they it will, this is well worth the money we use it all of the time so much quicker for cooking Tony

tony morris

Free Member
Jun 27, 2008
Calcot Reading Berkshire
Funster No
MH
bailey caravan
Exp
we use the jml oven for all our cooking in the m/h::bigsmile: i even do a full english in it and it only takes about 10mins thats including boiled eggs, and yes it boils an egg aswell:winky: everything in it tastes brill,
=tony I just like you we can not fault it in any way the wife thinks it is the best thing since sliced bread? Tony

tony morris

Free Member
Jun 27, 2008
Calcot Reading Berkshire
Funster No
MH
bailey caravan
Exp
A friend of mine has one at home and swears by it says he's not used his "proper" oven at all since he got his halogen jobby..as for the power they draw if it's 1300 watts that will be in the region of 5/6 amps if me memory serves right so if your on a site with only 6 amps it could be trip out if your not careful
Not totally sure meself but if "The Management " says we need one then we need one don't we ??:RollEyes::RollEyes:
=Tony HI we have had no trouble on site as yet (fingers crossed) always the first time? Tony

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
We use it when the aga has to go off for several days to cool down to be serviced. Ours has a shelf so we can cook on two levels. We have cooked meat veg and baked in it. Great
piece of kit. Never taken it in motor home as it is quite heavy.
lucille

Sep 17, 2009
Bridge, Canterbury
Funster No
MH
R/V
Exp
40 years!
Halogen Ovens

We bought a Halogen Oven about 4 years ago and have now given it to my daughter, it is the large size (12 lt) and a bit too heavy for the van. Have a look at TJ Hughes - TJ Hughes Online department store selling big brand names at discount prices. under Halogen Ovens and you will find that they do different sizes, the 7 lt seems just about right, good bit of kit. Will do oven chips as well. By the way TJ Hughes only charge £5.50 delivery.

As far as the Tefal Actifry is concerned, Watchdog did a big piece on them as they were setting on fire, the results are probably on their website.

I visited a TJ Hughes store for the first time last week while we were visiting friends in Shrewsbury. Very impressed with the cost of much of the mechandise. I saw halogen ovens for sale there. I have one myself and would't be without it both in the home and in the R/V. (I also have a Remolska but have never really got on with that!).

I intend buying a hologen oven as a Christmas present for a friend who now lives on her own since the last child left home recently. As we were away I thought I will buy it on line when I get home so didn't purchase one from the TJ Hughes Shrewsbury store. Now I can't find one on line from T J Hughes despite trying the link above. Can anyone help?!

Sep 17, 2009
Bridge, Canterbury
Funster No
MH
R/V
Exp
40 years!
Thanks for this Alan but where should I have found the section 'TJ Hughes - Bake, Fry, Boil & steam on the T J Hughes web site???? I went into the section Household Appliances but couldn't find them there.

I note that the oven advertised has no rack which I find is essential when cooking various foods together. At the moment I am cooking roast potatoes and pork chops together in my oven. The pots are underneath the chops which are on a rack.

I purchased mine from a TV shopping channel and came with two different sized racks and a tool to remove hot food from the oven; it cost £49.95 over a year ago now.:thumb:

bevo

Free Member
Nov 15, 2008
north west
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
halogen ovens

we bought the prolectric oven for £29.99
it came with two racks and tongues for removing hot food, and also a stand for holding the hot halogen top when cooking has finnished.

ps tj hughes has been in the northwest for more years than i can remember.
my mum took me to see pinky and perky at their london road store in liverpool.

Rainy

Free Member
Oct 20, 2009
Bexhill East Sussex
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
6 months
I've been wondering if these ovens were any good. They used to be advertised only on TV but I've noticed that they are now available in places like Homebase and Makro, but I've never found anyone who has actullay bought one who could confirm that they are as good as they are made out to be.

I have also wondered how long the halogen element lasts and how much a replacement would cost or maybe it would be cheaper to chuck it away and buy another one!:winky:

Toni

Hi Ive got one they are really good for the price £59 Ideal for people who are camping (they are electric so you need a hook up) Ive roasted a chicken in it.. also roast potatoes Does brilliant jacket potatoes they come out all crispy You can even make a cake in them! Its great If you look on the JML website (or is it JLM!) you can see them working on a video clip They cook faster than a normal oven I would definitely recommend them...look on ebay you might get one cheaper I bought mine in January no probs so far:thumb:
Rainy

daps

Free Member
May 24, 2009
Cambridgeshire. UK
Funster No
Exp
A few Months
Thanks for this Alan but where should I have found the section ' I went into the section Household Appliances but couldn't find them there.

I:
I just put Halogen in the search box. It gets even more complicated I see they have 3 on there £29.99, £39.99 and £49.99. Very little detail what comes with them etc.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back