Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Just been talking to my friend Dave in England who has fitted this box, and is over the moon, can not believe the difference, so I thought I would put it on the forum in case any one else was interested.
He has also written a review

£139.99 and that includes postage...arrived the next days post

Diesel Tuning Box | Diesel Chip Tuning from My Diesel Box

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Mel in France

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
ok for those with the multijet or JTD engines but what about us poor souls with good old mechanical fuel systems...:cry:

mind you it would give an extra 20bhp or a 20% increase on my hilux. :thumb:

markymark

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
New Forest Southampton
Funster No
MH
Swift 6 berth Coach built
Exp
Has anyone got a picture of one fitted?

When it refers to fitting it to a common rail, what is this?

Would love to have one fitted on our 2.8JTD, on the trip to Cornwall we had to keep changing down gears on the motorway hills as there was hardly any power in 5th. Scary stuff.

Just how easy is it to fit one?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Just been talking to my friend Dave in England who has fitted this box, and is over the moon, can not believe the difference, so I thought I would put it on the forum in case any one else was interested.
He has also written a review

£139.99 and that includes postage...arrived the next days post

Diesel Tuning Box | Diesel Chip Tuning from My Diesel Box

Link Removed

Link Removed

Link Removed

Mel in France

Brilliant idea but how does it affect your insurance/warranty?

The power boost might affect other things as well like brakes and transmission components.Just a couple of things to bear in mind when fitting.

Do they sell with a disclaimer against part failure?

Don't want to be a killjoy but I can see that, in the event of a claim on warranty , they may not cover you.

Changing the injector timing and delivery volumes can raise internal operating temperatures.OK we KNOW diesels are built like a Tank but they are still designed to work within defined operating tolerances.

Changing the torque curve would increase driveability though.

Any dealers here for comment?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+

Would love to have one fitted on our 2.8JTD, on the trip to Cornwall we had to keep changing down gears on the motorway hills as there was hardly any power in 5th. Scary stuff.

Hi Mark
This friend of mine Dave, who fitted the box, said it was so simple and easy he could not believe it, the rail is something that goes along the top you unclick off and plug this unit in....he said it was that easy....he said it explains everything....
I have been trying to get Dave to become a member last night....but every time he tried, it would not except his password and said his email address was already being used and could not sign in.....I have emailed Jim to see if he can help him.
So when he becomes a member you should be able to ask him your questions ...or ask me and I will pass them on to him, he said it was like going from a Reliant Robin to an Aston Martin there was so much difference he was beginning to think he was in a dream....
As his Chauson Welcome 55 with a fiat 2.8 JTD was so slow and using his gearbox all the time, it was a joke when a cyclist passed him, and going up hills!!!!

As for the other reply American Dream, I am sorry I can not answer about warranty and the engine.....but talk to the company ...Dave said they are quite happy to explain.

Dave said if ever you had to take your motorhome to a dealer for a service and you did not want them to see this plugged in, you just unplug and re-clip the top bar back on...I think the top bar may be just a cover , but not sure

Mel

Last edited:
Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Option 1
[FONT=&quot]In my experience there are none as partial as those that have bought something and want to recommend it. I have also read some research that shows that most people talk up their possessions and are somewhat blind to any deficiencies. It is an ego thing, don't want to look mugs[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Option 2[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Possibly Dave has an interest in promoting this product.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I have been reading a post on the other forum with regard to undeclared interests in promotional posts.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A fool and his money can be easily parted.:cry:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Buttons[/FONT]

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp

:Cool: Hi there. If you look at the following link it expains HOW the part is fitted:-

Link Removed

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Option 1
[FONT=&quot]In my experience there are none as partial as those that have bought something and want to recommend it. I have also read some research that shows that most people talk up their possessions and are somewhat blind to any deficiencies. It is an ego thing, don't want to look mugs[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I have been reading a post on the other forum with regard to undeclared interests in promotional posts.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

I think what you are saying, that when a person buys something, and the item is not what they expected or is no good(does not do the job it was made for) they do not like tell people they have made a mistake and look a Dip stick and wasted there money....but instead say how marvellous it is.
Me I am from Yorkshire man, where we call a spade a spade ....if it is no good we tell people and want our money back... but on the other hand we also tell people when a item is worth shouting about and if it is a bargain...as we would like others to enjoy what we have,
So I am like you I do not say something is good when it is not.
Now this Dave is not a Yorkshire man but from Cumbria (he can not help where he was born ???) but he has been looking for one of these items for a long time but would not spend the £350 ( now that sounds like a Yorkshire man careful with his money) they have been asking for the same item.........so I do not think he has any connections with the company!? But I am only 99% sure of that not 100%...that is if you can ever be 100%
I hope that answers some on your questions
Mel

takeaflight

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
Stratford-upon-Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
I bought something similar, some years ago when we had a 2.8TD Fiat. Then found that these can only be fitted to common rail engines. I sold it to a chap who I think may belong to fun, from memory Hugh Johns with a Burstner 747.

The deal was if I helped fit it he would buy it, took us less than 5 mins and after driving with it, he believed it gave his van more power, don't know about economy.

He was very happy with his purchase.

I was thinking about one for my Sprinter based van, can never have enough power, but being automatic not sure if it would alter the set up, if you understand what I mean. Anyone with any idea ?

Roy

Last edited:
S

stagman

Deleted User
[There are absolutely loads of these on the market , all basically the same but different packaging . They are simple plug and play kit , some have a switch on the side where you can select , power , acceleration , fuel economy . There are several seller's on Ebay .There were also a few dealers at the NEC selling them for around £150 or more all basically the same .If you change van the box can be kept and used on your next one or car the only difference is the loom . And some come with better Guarantee's than others and that probabally ups the price.:thumb:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
I think what you are saying, that when a person buys something, and the item is not what they expected or is no good(does not do the job it was made for) they do not like tell people they have made a mistake and look a Dip stick and wasted there money....but instead say how marvellous it is.
Me I am from Yorkshire man, where we call a spade a spade ....if it is no good we tell people and want our money back... but on the other hand we also tell people when a item is worth shouting about and if it is a bargain...as we would like others to enjoy what we have,
So I am like you I do not say something is good when it is not.
Now this Dave is not a Yorkshire man but from Cumbria (he can not help where he was born ???) but he has been looking for one of these items for a long time but would not spend the £350 ( now that sounds like a Yorkshire man careful with his money) they have been asking for the same item.........so I do not think he has any connections with the company!? But I am only 99% sure of that not 100%...that is if you can ever be 100%
I hope that answers some on your questions
Mel

[FONT=&quot]I couldn’t have summarised it better myself Mel. I am sometimes too cynical for my own good “I sometimes miss out on a real bargains” by this attitude to my fellow mans generosity. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]So Dave why, if this magic box is so beneficial and cheap to manufacture by a minor outfit, why have the major multinational car giants not found this magic with their huge R&D budget, why have they not fitted it on the production line, it would surely give them a mega lead over the rivals. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]When I have the time Mel I will tell you a story about some small magnets that could save you a fortune on fuel, no installation charge and guaranteed to give the Hawthorne effect.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Now that’s an effect that even a Yorkshire man doesn’t have an answer too. It is a real bargain.:cry:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A fool and his money can be easily parted[/FONT]

Nov 10, 2008
Forest Row, East Sussex, UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
I have had one of these fitted to my Navara pulling my 5er since new. Now 12,000+ and a definite increase in power and MPG approx. 20%.
No promlems so far, very happy with it.
JK

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
[FONT=&quot]I couldn’t have summarised it better myself Mel. I am sometimes too cynical for my own good “I sometimes miss out on a real bargains” by this attitude to my fellow mans generosity. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]So Dave why, if this magic box is so beneficial and cheap to manufacture by a minor outfit, why have the major multinational car giants not found this magic with their huge R&D budget, why have they not fitted it on the production line, it would surely give them a mega lead over the rivals. [/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]When I have the time Mel I will tell you a story about some small magnets that could save you a fortune on fuel, no installation charge and guaranteed to give the Hawthorne effect.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]Now that’s an effect that even a Yorkshire man doesn’t have an answer too. It is a real bargain.:cry:[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]A fool and his money can be easily parted[/FONT]

I like you Buttons, I like what you say, straight to the point with a sense of Humour, like myself, and always a bit wary of the wise men bearing gifts....as they say you get nowt for nowt.
Me I have the Fiat 130 multi-jet it goes like a rocket ( if fact I have to chuck out the anchor to slow it down) and more than happy with the consumption from 29 to 32 mpg pulling 3.75 + tons I would not want to change anything ( as they say don't mend what is not broken) it goes up hills is as fast as it goes downhill, and with a cruise I had fitted, it is a pleasure to drive...BUT and there is always a BUT it is a shame it does not reverse.......(meanining it has the dreaded reverse judder...it is as quick in reverse as it is in forward (to high of a reverse gear) if you just let out the clutch ...but then at speed you do not have a lot of control in a tight spot so you have to slip the clutch then you get the JUDDER .

About the car giants !!!!!!!!! I am as miffed as you.....all I can say is DAVE is over the moon with the performance and price…and I mean over the moon.

Mel

Last edited:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Just been talking to my friend Dave in England who has fitted this box, and is over the moon, can not believe the difference
Mel in France

Just the same when we had ours re-flashed. Which does a similar job but without the box of tricks.

Reliability wise, early days yet, only done 20,000 miles since the mod.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
[FONT=&quot]So Dave why, if this magic box is so beneficial and cheap to manufacture by a minor outfit, why have the major multinational car giants not found this magic with their huge R&D budget, [/FONT]

They have of course. Normally they screw you for it - Mini £XXXX, Mini Cooper £XXXX+2k and the difference is just the engine map. VW do the same, "Would Sir like the 130bhp model or the 160bhp model." Both the same different maps.

In the case of a MH they probably slug the power to improve reliability when driven by plonkers. Ours gets wheelspin on damp corners in 3rd and it's very easy to get the clutch slipping. No problem to me, but they can't take the risk. Before the re-map it was an embarrassment up hills.

Of course there is a risk, that box stretches the injector timing and may alter pump pressure, if it's not done properly then it could wreck the engine.

May I compliment you on your eyesight.

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
They have of course. Normally they screw you for it - Mini £XXXX, Mini Cooper £XXXX+2k and the difference is just the engine map. VW do the same, "Would Sir like the 130bhp model or the 160bhp model." Both the same different maps.

In the case of a MH they probably slug the power to improve reliability when driven by plonkers. Ours gets wheelspin on damp corners in 3rd and it's very easy to get the clutch slipping. No problem to me, but they can't take the risk. Before the re-map it was an embarrassment up hills.

Of course there is a risk, that box stretches the injector timing and may alter pump pressure, if it's not done properly then it could wreck the engine.

May I compliment you on your eyesight.

[FONT=&quot]Sorry Brian I don’t normally disagree with my elders :Blush: but it is not just a case of re-mapping or chipping to produce the cooper S or the VW. You pay the extra for more than that.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]I won’t go into too much detail but one example is the MAGNIFICENT VW 174bhp diesel engine. This engine although being the same 5 cylinder block as the lesser 130bhp unit, it does have a number of major components up rated to cope with the extra power.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]The 174bhp Turbo is a Garrett, Different Injectors, Different ECU, Different Air flow metre, Different sensors to name just a few up rated engine components.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]This 174bhp engine will easily take a remap to 206bhp but using this extra power will have fuel penalties, so something is never for nothing.:Doh:[/FONT]

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
[FONT=&quot]Sorry Brian I don’t normally disagree with my elders :Blush: but it is not just a case of re-mapping or chipping to produce the cooper S or the VW. You pay the extra for more than that.[/FONT]

I didn't say 'S' I was referring to the original BMW Mini/Mini Cooper and I believe that as far as the engine goes the only difference is the mapping.

You sound as if you know your facts on that particular VW but I wouldn't mind betting some of the older ones were much the same. I think it's the same with spares, if it has VW on it you pay less than if it's got Audi written on it.

It's the same with some software, what is on the DVD is the same for all versions but you only get enabled what you you pay for.

I'm not sure it it's a sound business model or rip off the consumer.

OP
OP
Heyupluv

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
Just the same when we had ours re-flashed. Which does a similar job but without the box of tricks.

Reliability wise, early days yet, only done 20,000 miles since the mod.

I like it Brian..........still not done enough miles yet to do a full test, maybe after another 50,000 miles you will let me know if it is still working with no problems...thank you Mel....Dave will be pleased

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
after another 50,000 miles

Don't know about that. I reckon at todays prices £10,000 of diesel and probably 10 years, I'll more than likely have forgotten, you'll have to remind me.

It's a bit scary at my age thinking 10 years ahead.

tramper

Free Member
Jul 29, 2009
seaton,cumbia.
Funster No
MH
c/class
Exp
17years
Option 1

as a newmember hello i told my friend mel about the diesel box hoping that it may help some of the members with the same problem as myself i.e under power 2.8 fiat. I have no connection with the manufacturer WHAT SO EVER I DONT NEED EGO TRIPS anyman that calls himself.buttons and signs off with a childish faces need I say more.TRAMPER

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Brilliant idea but how does it affect your insurance/warranty?

The power boost might affect other things as well like brakes and transmission components.Just a couple of things to bear in mind when fitting.

Do they sell with a disclaimer against part failure?

Don't want to be a killjoy but I can see that, in the event of a claim on warranty , they may not cover you.

Changing the injector timing and delivery volumes can raise internal operating temperatures.OK we KNOW diesels are built like a Tank but they are still designed to work within defined operating tolerances.

Changing the torque curve would increase driveability though.

Any dealers here for comment?

hi steve,

the 'defined operating tolerances' of a diesel engine is always higher than the output of the engine you, as a buyer, get and as it says in the deealers blurb, the engine is designed for the extra power and the factory reduce the output for different uses.

my toyota hilux comes in three engine outputs...88bhp, 102bhp and 120bhp. (the box would up mine from 102bhp to 122bhp)
the only difference in the three is around 5000 quid....same engine 'tamed down' for different models.

insurance co's should ALWAYS be told of modifications....some increase premiums, others dont.

transmission and brakes are suited to the higher torque engines.

Last edited:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005

hi mark,

yours is a common rail diesel engine.

an old style diesel engine has a high pressure mechanical pump feeding each of the mechanical injectors in turn in a predetermined sequence.

a common rail diesel has a single outlet pump feeding a tube on top of the engine with a constant high pressure. the fuel is delivered to the cylinders via electro-mechanical injectors controlled by the ECU in sequence.
this tube has an electrical plug connected to it and its this that you remove, fit the plug from the 'box' then reconnect the original plug to the socket on the other 'box' lead.

probably take longer to mount the 'box' than to connect it.

Last edited:

davejen

Free Member
Aug 21, 2008
Preston
Funster No
MH
Given up travelling
Exp
Since 1992
I bought something similar, some years ago when we had a 2.8TD Fiat. Then found that these can only be fitted to common rail engines. I sold it to a chap who I think may belong to fun, from memory Hugh Johns with a Burstner 747.

The deal was if I helped fit it he would buy it, took us less than 5 mins and after driving with it, he believed it gave his van more power, don't know about economy.

He was very happy with his purchase.

I was thinking about one for my Sprinter based van, can never have enough power, but being automatic not sure if it would alter the set up, if you understand what I mean. Anyone with any idea ?

Roy

Hi, Roy we have an Autotrail on Merc 316, only had it a few weeks but when I looked under the bonnet I discovered it has a tuning box as discussed, and from the limited use we've had from it upto now I can say it really does go well. It is a sprintshift gearbox and pulls along quite happily at 30 in top, but accellerates very well up to 60 in very quick time- I've not actually timed it but would think it's a lot quicker than standard. Will report mpg etc at a later dte once we've done a few trips in it.
Cheers, Dave:thumb:

takeaflight

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
Stratford-upon-Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
Ours is a 2.7 cdi 170bhp excellent in every respect.

However we tow on occasions up to 2 ton, while it stills pulls well and a recent trip returned 23 mpg which considering the load I was pleased with, however a bit of extra power would always be welcome.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
:Cool: Hi there. If you look at the following link it expains HOW the part is fitted:-

Link Removed

That does not look too impressive to me. It looks like all they are doing is upping the pressure.

I've seen some boxes where they have a plug for each injector so they can vary the length of the pulse.

To be honest I've no idea what they have done in our re-flash, hopefully a proper re-work of the maps without risking a brute force increase in fuel pressure.

Does Geo not have an opinion/experience on this ?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Any idea whether one of these would bugger up a auto box ?
I know on their web site they say not, but !

It's certainly got the potential. As I said we can get clutch slip quite easily now if we floor the throttle before the clutch is fully home - so is an automatic that clever ?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
That does not look too impressive to me. It looks like all they are doing is upping the pressure.

I've seen some boxes where they have a plug for each injector so they can vary the length of the pulse.

To be honest I've no idea what they have done in our re-flash, hopefully a proper re-work of the maps without risking a brute force increase in fuel pressure.

Does Geo not have an opinion/experience on this ?

funny you should say that Brian....i was just thinking the same thing.

i would think altering the injector timing and the injection period would be more effective.

just sent an email requesting clarification on this.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Bought one for £250 only to find that they were cheaper just about everywhere !!!

However, simple plug and play and yes, BIG difference in power and getting about 15% better gas miles.. Worked out it will take me a little over a year to recoup the cost.

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
hi steve,

the 'defined operating tolerances' of a diesel engine is always higher than the output of the engine you, as a buyer, get and as it says in the deealers blurb, the engine is designed for the extra power and the factory reduce the output for different uses.

my toyota hilux comes in three engine outputs...88bhp, 102bhp and 120bhp. (the box would up mine from 102bhp to 122bhp)
the only difference in the three is around 5000 quid....same engine 'tamed down' for different models.

insurance co's should ALWAYS be told of modifications....some increase premiums, others dont.

transmission and brakes are suited to the higher torque engines.

Cheers John.

It's always good to hear the feedback from real users.

I guess the best advice is...If your van is still under warranty...remove the chip prior to claim or service to avoid potential probs.

It's obvious that diesels are machined and constructed to accept this mod with no issue.

Just take it easy on the clutch.:thumb:

Anything that improves fuel consumption and drive-ability can't be bad.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back