To cover or not to cover that is the question (1 Viewer)

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
For's and against for a breathable cover on my motorhome bearing in mind that we use it every 2 weeks in winter and also bear in mind that the access were its parked is about 2' on the drivers side and 1' on the passenger side so may not be easy to pull a cover on etc.

To summarise...
Got some trees nearby and get lost of leaves etc on the van cant decide if a cover is worth it etc

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Motorhome port::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Frankie

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Buckinghamshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
since 2008
Hi,Also park under trees on driveway,clean and cover after every trip,bit of a pain to do but have a nice clean van to start next outing.
Found if wet leaves stay on roof for a couple of days it stains and hell of a job to get out,:Smile:

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
Have never bothered with covers on motorhomes or caravans never been a problem, have always thought more lightly to get problems with them, lack of airflow.

Dave:thumb::thumb:

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
cover

Hi IPS
I have a cover that is now to small for my new MH, If you want to try a cheaper way than buying new this cover is hardly used BUT has slight damage to the rear panel due to a bungee strap digging in when stored in the garage, but is still fully serviceable, If you fancy a look at it give me a PM and we can arrange a meet. I am looking for £60.00 Ono. Pete

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Have always camped, caravaned or had boats. Now in our second year with the motorhome.
Thanks for the replys /info / offers. No overwhelming reccomendations for a cover so I think I wil stick to saturday afternoon cleaning sessions. Have got room for a car port type structure just need to get motivated to build it.
ips

tony morris

Free Member
Jun 27, 2008
Calcot Reading Berkshire
Funster No
MH
bailey caravan
Exp
30 months mh 40+ years tugger and camping
Hi there was a article going back in one of the m/h, caravan magazines? people were putting kitchen cleanfilm on the plastic windows, the reason for this was when they removed the cover, where they had been flapping about in the wind they were badly scratched. (no proplem useing this method short term) it only came to light after leaving the cleanfilm on for longer periods when you peeled it off the windows they were all grased and cracked like? When this was investigated it was found out that there was something in the cleanfilm that caused this reaction. Tony

Paula

Free Member
Apr 15, 2008
Somerset England
Funster No
Exp
3 years
Hmmmm interesting posts for me here. We didnt use our m/home last Winter.:Sad:

We are up quite high on Exmoor and in cloud cover a lot of the time thrugh the Winter months. It (the m/h) was covered in green algae all over roof and round edge of windows after last Winter. :cry: Therefore, thinking of getting a cover for ours.

Anyone got any suggestions on brands if we do go for it - which I think we will.

Paula

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Hi IPS
I have a cover that is now to small for my new MH, If you want to try a cheaper way than buying new this cover is hardly used BUT has slight damage to the rear panel due to a bungee strap digging in when stored in the garage, but is still fully serviceable, If you fancy a look at it give me a PM and we can arrange a meet. I am looking for £60.00 Ono. Pete

pm sent.....

OP
OP
ips

ips

Free Member
Jul 3, 2009
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Hi there was a article going back in one of the m/h, caravan magazines? people were putting kitchen cleanfilm on the plastic windows, the reason for this was when they removed the cover, where they had been flapping about in the wind they were badly scratched. (no proplem useing this method short term) it only came to light after leaving the cleanfilm on for longer periods when you peeled it off the windows they were all grased and cracked like? When this was investigated it was found out that there was something in the cleanfilm that caused this reaction. Tony

Thanks for the info
If I do use a cover I will bear that in mind and maybe cover the windows with a cotton or fleece type material.
regards - ips

Paula

Free Member
Apr 15, 2008
Somerset England
Funster No
Exp
3 years
I also noticed the scratching info caused by wind damage and post about clingfilm so will take note when we do buy our cover. Tks for bringing to our attention guys.

meanders

Funster - Life Member
LIFE MEMBER
Jun 28, 2008
Ipswich, Suffolk
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Since 2004
We have always covered our Motorhomes with breathable covers as we store ours on a farm with birds that like roosting on the top!! we have never had damage caused by the wind as we always make sure that the straps are tightly fixed, the only downside is putting the cover on especially when it is windy, and you will need a stepladder to put it on- unless you are 7ft tall!! Having it covered does save a lot of time with cleaning, and we do also only cover it up when dry to avoid any damp problems

Paula

Free Member
Apr 15, 2008
Somerset England
Funster No
Exp
3 years
Thanks so much - really helpful. Will remember your comment about putting on when dry.

Will keep searching for info on brands. Still using the m/h at the mo so not needed just yet. There seem to be 3 layer and 4 layer covers on the market so assume 4 layer ones would be best.

Paula

tony morris

Free Member
Jun 27, 2008
Calcot Reading Berkshire
Funster No
MH
bailey caravan
Exp
Thanks for the info
If I do use a cover I will bear that in mind and maybe cover the windows with a cotton or fleece type material.
regards - ips
Hi yes I have heard of other people using that method make sence,
another way is to use cotton dust sheets first,you could tie them down then put your waterproof cover on top (no proplem when you take them off you can put them in the washing machine ready for when you want to use them next time) Tony

tony morris

Free Member
Jun 27, 2008
Calcot Reading Berkshire
Funster No
MH
bailey caravan
Exp
I also noticed the scratching info caused by wind damage and post about clingfilm so will take note when we do buy our cover. Tks for bringing to our attention guys.
HI I have just noticed my mistake in my posting I was saying cleanfilm thanks (Ishould have said clingfilm) my spelling is not very good of late? (must be something to do with old age creeping up on me) Tony

superk

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Devon
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion now sold
Exp
8 years
For's and against for a breathable cover on my motorhome bearing in mind that we use it every 2 weeks in winter and also bear in mind that the access were its parked is about 2' on the drivers side and 1' on the passenger side so may not be easy to pull a cover on etc.
To summarise...
Got some trees nearby and get lost of leaves etc on the van cant decide if a cover is worth it etc

My experience of using a MH cover:

I bought one of these Medium Motorhome Cover from Leisure Mart (MP9422) - it wore very thin in a relatively short time and deposited a white powder onto the van. In the end is got so thin it tore.

The company replaced it without question and FOC saying a bad batch had been produced.

The second one was even worse and we returned to the van one day to fine the cover in shreds. All despite careful handing.

I posted my experience on here and Brisey kindly offered an unused Protec cover. It is far superior.

Leisure Mart stepped up to the plate again and said they now used a different supplier and once again sent a replacement FOC. I haven't opened it to check the new quality.

I like having a cover - the van is on a storage site some way away so I can't just pop out to the drive to give the van a wash. It is also under a tree that drops sticky stuff in summer and leaves in the autumn.

The Protec will be 3-4 times as expensive but will be made to fit your van, provide door access and Brisey had his made with a clear plastic inset in the correct position for his solar panel. It takes two to unroll - as the van is high we unroll on the roof - after that it's just a matter of tying the ties.

As to scratching we haven't had any just a few rub marks on one or two corners that come off easily. A properly fitted cover may do better.

It saves an awful lot of cleaning - do clean the van before you cover it and don't let the cover get soiled when you take it off or put it on - if you come back from a trip and the van has got dirty don't be tempted to put the cover on.

Nice to always set off with a clean van rather than knackering yourself the day before.

::bigsmile:
Keith
PS for newcomers the van is a Mercedes Sprinter conversion 3.1 metres high not our previous RV shown in the avatar.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back