Superted

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Rainham Gillingham Kent uk
Funster No
MH
Elddis aspire 265
Exp
Hi all has any one used the snooper 8100 sat nav ,I am in the market for one and some one last week was singing its praise but it's expensive so now totally confused

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Hi all has any one used the snooper 8100 sat nav ,I am in the market for one and some one last week was singing its praise but it's expensive so now totally confused
I have the caravan club model and it does the job fine, so if the 8100 is of the same ilk you will have a good bit of kit ..

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
I have a Snooper Ventura S6800. She's the best satnag I've had, very clear imaging, good on-screen information, verbal instructions are excellent and given at exactly the right time (for me, anyway), her voice isn't irritating and she doesn't shout at me when I ignore her instructions. She has a 7 inch screen which means the on-screen information is easy to read, is great for the distance away from the driver in a moho, and means the passenger-navigator can see the screen easily as well.
The one you mention (S8100) has a built-in TV which I didn't want, so mine - while still expensive - wasn't as much as that one.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Superted

Superted

Free Member
Oct 6, 2016
Rainham Gillingham Kent uk
Funster No
MH
Elddis aspire 265
Exp
Thanks for that info I don't need the tv as well, so may look at a lesser model ,the garmin seem to get a lot of praise as well,will have to have a good look around the show at the nec next week

Aug 11, 2012
Pembrokeshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 1975 on and off.
Received a s6800 today direct from Snooper, had phoned them twice and asked if any offers on which they said no. Found a code through Caravan Club...quote cc15 and got 15% off!,very pleased!
Some been advertised on flea bay as s6800 but if you read further they then change description to S6400 which Snooper said is discontinued.

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
@Superted , you might also want to have a look at this current thread
Link Removed

Also... forgive me for mentioning it, but you get 5 free posts on MotorhomeFun then you need to fully subscribe to the forum - the best annual £15 you'll ever spend!

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
They do have the caravan sites available for download. We have had the s6000 for around 5 years now.
It has crashed once but customer service is good and changed it for me.
Lifetime map updates were expensive though at £138 but we thought it was worth it.
They do have a lot of useful poi downloads available.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
So the cc club model could you load the camping and caravan site on as well
Its got all cc and c&cc plus asci and bord atlas already loaded ready for use . You cannot add other poi files like co pilot or campercontact etc ..but its a great tool .

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
How often do they update them though? Do they check the CC/C&CC web sites regularly and then create new Snooper versions or are the available files old ones (as they were with another set I know of which Snooper no longer offer)?
No idea .do other satnag give that info ??

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
No idea .do other satnag give that info ??
Not that I know of. The difference, though, is that others (Garmin, TomTom, Mio &c) allow customers to source and load third party POI sets themselves so keeping them up to date is in the hands of customers to do as often as they wish.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Not that I know of. The difference, though, is that others (Garmin, TomTom, Mio &c) allow customers to source and load third party POI sets themselves so keeping them up to date is in the hands of customers to do as often as they wish.
I have lifetime updates for my snooper Graham so I update it every year .hoping that will do the job. I know I cant load 3rd party poi on but I have not found a need for them ad the snooper does all I need . I have an Aguri as you probably remember which is an Android device and as such I have managed to load campercontact and copilot onto it .both of which I didn't use when I was in France recently for four weeks .i happily used both the snooper and the aguri as normal with no issues. Roy

Reactions: GJH

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
We have a series 8 snooper and find it a nice bit of kit.

It has listed in its memory a huge selection of choices showing places to stay, CC, CCC, Aires, camper stop, acsi and bord atlas etc

A good choice of navi options including facility for weight, height, length and width of vehicle.

It has made the odd mistake and appears to like town centres instead Of ring roads but overall I am well Happy with it.

Hardly use the TV, phone, video or music facility so can't really comment on them.

We have lifetime deal with Updating and is a bit of a fag as it appears to re format the memory and start again so takes a bit of time. I only do it once a year.

roger7

Free Member
Jan 1, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
pvc
Exp
I have just purchased a c8500 sat nav loaded with ccc,acsi board and camper stop poi's.
This is a new Cobra unit,they manufacture all the Snooper sat nav range
Cost £249 direct from Cobra. Life time map updates and no tv.
Hope to sell my old S 7000 unit on ebay soon

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I have lifetime updates for my snooper Graham so I update it every year .hoping that will do the job. I know I cant load 3rd party poi on but I have not found a need for them ad the snooper does all I need . I have an Aguri as you probably remember which is an Android device and as such I have managed to load campercontact and copilot onto it .both of which I didn't use when I was in France recently for four weeks .i happily used both the snooper and the aguri as normal with no issues. Roy
I have no idea whether lifetime updates for Snooper are confined to maps or whether they include POIs, Roy. If I remember I'll ask Snooper at the NEC (I assume they'll be there).
I have my parking POI set and one for MCC CLs which I created/maintain myself so I need the ability to add POIs direct.

Sep 23, 2013
Lincs
Funster No
MH
Globecar Campscout
Exp
Since 2008 (started in a VW T4 campervan)
I have no idea whether lifetime updates for Snooper are confined to maps or whether they include POIs
You can certainly download the latest versions of the POI sets, but I don't know how often they are updated. Unlike the device software & the maps, they don't have a visible version numbering system for the POI files.
I have my parking POI set and one for MCC CLs which I created/maintain myself so I need the ability to add POIs direct.
If you send them to Snooper, they will convert them to their format for you. What I don't know is whether that service is conditional on them being made available for others to download as well.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
If you send them to Snooper, they will convert them to their format for you. What I don't know is whether that service is conditional on them being made available for others to download as well.
Yes, it is conditional on them being made available to others. In addition, one would have to go through the rigmarole of resubmission every time the set was updated.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
How often do they update them though? Do they check the CC/C&CC web sites regularly and then create new Snooper versions or are the available files old ones (as they were with another set I know of which Snooper no longer offer)?
Not sure really.haven't checked!
How would I find out? I'd like to know if it's updated too.

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
i have the DB8500 and its loaded with POI / aires/campsites/stellplatz/fuel/LPG/ADAC campsites,CC&CcC sites and many more too numerous to mention, you can input coordinates both formats so you can head for a location of your choice that isn't in the POI list if needed,
In the last four years it's been invaluable in finding suitable places to stay and i consider its paid for it self for the convenience it's given us,

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
i am intending to buy the snooper s6810 ventura sat nav any advise please
If you know which one you want, buy it from John's Cross with a Funster discount! (they do postal)

stewartwebr

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 6, 2010
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Morelo Empire Liner
Exp
36 years and 16 motorhomes
I have a Snooper which is about 4 years old it is the large screen model with built in TV. Its in the cupboard at home. I must say I was not a fan. I wrote a review of it at the time I bought it and it went along the lines of:

Graphics : looked like a primary school kid designed it with crayons (better after lane guidance update)
Sound: Like listening to a 1970s' transistor radio
Stand: Like a kid made at woodwork class
Updates: Shocking, took 24 hours on a fast broadband connection.

I was not a fan...anyone want to buy a used one??

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
My snooper S7000 is brilliant ,a bit chunky by today's standards ,but I keep it updated and its never let me down in the UK or Europe..I also have an aguri rv700 which I am also very happy with ,did not get on with the Garmin camper ...

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
My S5000 failed after 3 years, main board needed replacement, cost too much, bought cheap Chinese model.!.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Had a S7000, which is now old hat, but gave it up for a Garmin, because for me, the software was quirky weird. Try as I may, I could not get my head around the way it worked. Perhaps, I hope, things have changed.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back