Dave.s

Free Member
Oct 5, 2016
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
when you are on the road, are your dogs harnessed or free in the motorhome?

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
Sometimes harnessed but as often as not on my co-drivers knee, chin on the armrest, looking out of the window.

Zoppydog

Deceased RIP
Jul 19, 2013
Suffolk
Funster No
MH
No longer own one
Exp
Since 2013
Crate which is placed behind driver/passenger seats.
Chris

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Dave.s

Dave.s

Free Member
Oct 5, 2016
Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
I think it is law in this country now, but don't quote me

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
We bought a dog clip to seat belt connector, which goes to the top clip of her (the dogs) traveling harness. The seat belt bit goes to an old Citroen seat belt holding clip I bought of ebay, which in turn bolts to a seat base. And so, the dog is secure, but with us. This also allows quick release in case of emergency.

s-l1600.jpg

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
Usually in her bed between the driver & passenger seats,
Now gonna have a rethink !!

Rule 57. When in a vehicle make sure dogs or other animals are suitably restrained so they cannot distract you while you are driving or injure you, or themselves, if you stop quickly. A seat belt harness, pet carrier, dog cage or dog guard are ways of restraining animals in cars.

TerryL

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 5, 2010
North East
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
+1 for a crate. Ours starts crying if we start moving and he's not in his cage! Apart from that he loves it and is no trouble - has been known to stay put for over 4 hours as long as he had a weewee stop before we left.

ronidog1

Free Member
Nov 12, 2012
west yorkshire
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Over 10 years
Our's travels in a soft crate behind the seat. Not only is he not distracting the driver, he would also be safe if we had to stop on a busy road or, worse still, were involved in an accident.
what do you mean by a soft crate?

Zigisla

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 24, 2015
Gosport, Hants
Funster No
MH
Sunlight A72
Exp
Getting better month by month.
Our two travel on the bottom rear bunk bed. Harnessed and with a seat belt clipped onto a running line. The dogs can move up and down the bed, but not off.

Deleted User
Harnessed via seat belt extenders to floor behind cab seats, happily sleep for hours whilst driving. :)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
In the motorhome mine is attached to his own seat belt mounting point via a clip in same as @Tootles .In the car I have another clip in that goes in one of the rear seat belt attachments & he lies between the front seats under the folding table thingy.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
In the motorhome mine is attached to his own seat belt mounting point via a clip in same as @Tootles .In the car I have another clip in that goes in one of the rear seat belt attachments & he lies between the front seats under the folding table thingy.
In a car, it's fine, because the rear seat belts are only used (of coarse), when you have passengers. With the MH, we are both on board, and so it's either use the rear seat belts in the dinette, or drill and bolt the above (my picture) to the front seat box, which allows the dog safely to lie between you. Our hound is a nervous traveler, so the front suits her better. In the event of a front end smash, or extreme breaking, she is protected from the possibility of becoming part of the bulkhead, and yet can be un-clipped in seconds.

The thing that worries me most about a cage or bag, is that in case of a fire, you would have to go back into it to rescue either the full cage, the dog, or the bag. Not an easy option.

Muddibootz

Free Member
Jan 4, 2016
North Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
since 1994
Ours sleep behind the front seats on their beds so in the event of an emergency would be pressed up against the backs of the seats. Used to have a removable barrier between the seats when they were younger but they never attempt to move from their beds while travelling.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back