Vodafone Pay as You Go Dongle (1 Viewer)

Wall-E

Free Member
Jan 21, 2009
Funster No
Greetings,
I know it's been covered before a while ago, but does anyone know of a reasonable Vodafone Pay as You Go broadband Dongle offer (it has to be Vodafone).
Argos have a offer of £39-99, which includes a £15 Top Up?.
thanks Wall-E

bald eagle

Free Member
Jan 30, 2009
here,there and everywhere
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
since 1998
Hi wall-e
I am on 3 dongle at the moment, but i have heard that vodafone p.a.y.g dongle seams
to be the only one where you can top up £15 and you are not limited to 30 days.
Hope this helps:thumb:

regards
bald eagle

S

sinbad1

Deleted User
Greetings,
I know it's been covered before a while ago, but does anyone know of a reasonable Vodafone Pay as You Go broadband Dongle offer (it has to be Vodafone).
thanks Wall-E
Good idea 50p /day no time limit ::bigsmile:

If you have a payg vodaphone all you need is a unlocked dongle ::bigsmile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Greetings,
thanks Wall-E

How's this?
Link Removed
Also here
Data Devices - Mobile Broadband - Vodafone
Not sure why Argos is £5 more

John

Oct 23, 2009
Anglesey North Wales
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin 640SLB
Exp
Since 2010
Greetings,
thanks Wall-E

I bought mine at Argos and its brilliant on my laptop ... no time limit for the £15 top up ,so if your a lightish user it will last for yonks . Ive had it three months now and still have £14 left on it from my initial £15 top up.

Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
Just got a flyer from Virgin Media advertising their new UK dongle for £8 per month per 1G. Seems a goodish deal. Their internet broadband is pretty quick. :Smile:

JumboBeef

Free Member
Jul 27, 2009
Funster No
Can I ask a question: what happens if you use a dongle in an area where there is no 3G coverage? Does it still work, but at dial up speeds?

Paula

Free Member
Apr 15, 2008
Somerset England
Funster No
Exp
3 years
I've got a 3G dongle, & in my experience, when there is no coverage, there is no service.

I also have a 3 G and no signal = no service.

We had problems in Cheddar last week. Had to leave and move elsewhere. Checked at the local hotel on their free access connection before leaving to find out where we could go ! Very good service from the hotel I must say - suggested I bring laptop in next day if I wanted to. The Bathpool Hotel in Cheddar I think it was. There were two people in there using laptops.

I have to work when away so in future we know now that we will have to check before we leave to see if the area we are going to has service.

Paula

JayDee

Free Member
Oct 7, 2007
N. Devon
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
7 Years after 5 years with caravan.
Can I ask a question: what happens if you use a dongle in an area where there is no 3G coverage? Does it still work, but at dial up speeds?

I can set my Vodafone dongle to look for 3G exclusively, 3G and GPLC (? may not have the right letters there) or GPLC (same excuse) exclusively. I leave mine set to the second option.

The Virgin dongle at £8 a month - does the 1Gb last until it's used, or does it only work for the 1 month, and then you get a new 1 Gb (i.e. is there any rollover)?

John

ehuplad

Free Member
Feb 9, 2009
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hobby 600
Exp
If there is no 3G signal it goes onto GPRS but you must have it set on options

Brilliant for lite users when i got mine over a year ago it took me over 6 months to use £5 credit, gave it to the daughter the £10 was used in 3 days :Eeek::Eeek::Eeek:

DJP

Free Member
Nov 4, 2008
Somewhere in Europe
Funster No
Exp
Try and find a Vodafone OUTLET store. There is one a Clarks Village in Street, Somerset.
They are £24.99 in there including the £15 top up. Argos were doing it recently at £29.99

May 22, 2008
Funster No
My pay and go Dongle from three gives me thirty days at 3 gig for £15 - it does die after 30 days, but the good thing for me is that I can let it die when I am out of England { must be reactivated within a year } and I just top up when I come home after a few months. It works well when it works well but in some areas Norfolk in particular ,no signal no use,.I don't know how good it is in Spain or France etc as I don't bother with it, I just pop into an internet cafe or find a hot spot and get on line that way.

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
yep got mine from argos a fortnight ago, 29.99... vodaphone told me to go there as they had none in ::bigsmile:

working well enough on two bars of 3g+ signal... not as good as my fixed line, but thats probably down to signal..

Agree should be fine on 2G (GPRS>?), with some settings set

John

Jumbobeef, a vodaphone signal yes..

Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
Virgin dongle is £8 for 1G or £12 for 3G but monthly contract for 12/18 months I think? Dongle is £30 up front.

JumboBeef

Free Member
Jul 27, 2009
Funster No
Well, I bought one and:

First night, it wouldn't connect: just sat there saying 'looking for network' However, the dongle was flashing green to tell me there was a network and, twice, it did connect for a few minutes before dropping out.

Next morning, it connected no problems.

That evening, same problem, continous 'looking for network'.

Next morning, still looking for network.

I have set it to GPRS only, and when it does connect, I get four bars out of five.

:Sad:

Is this as good as it gets?

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
hi JB, on mine, it goes blue and I usually get 1-2 bars of 3G or 3G+

sometimes by rotating the laptop it can make a big improvement...

Certainly seems quicker in the morning.. I got 1MB download speed earlier today..I am in a town center though

maybe try the device on the USB cable that came with it? or tape it to a satellite dish to extend the coverage to a few miles :)

DJP

Free Member
Nov 4, 2008
Somewhere in Europe
Funster No
Exp
Got my Vodafone dongle from Vodafone Outlet store in Street, Somerset £24.99 including £15 top up:thumb:

JumboBeef

Free Member
Jul 27, 2009
Funster No
hi JB, on mine, it goes blue and I usually get 1-2 bars of 3G or 3G+

sometimes by rotating the laptop it can make a big improvement...

Certainly seems quicker in the morning.. I got 1MB download speed earlier today..I am in a town center though

maybe try the device on the USB cable that came with it? or tape it to a satellite dish to extend the coverage to a few miles :)

But there is a good signal: it just will not connect!

TYKETRIPPER

Free Member
Nov 8, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Van conversion
Exp
6 years
Megga doggle

Had the Vodafone 'pay as you go' dongle for 6 mths. Best bargain I've had this year. Happy surfing:thumb:

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

It has been mentioned before but its still very relevent,

Check your phone to see if it has HSDPA class 6 capability, or if you are thinking of buying a new phone or your upgrade is due then get one with HSDPA class 6 capability as it will work in place of a dongle, and if you get it unlocked you can use any SIM card which you can pick up from the 99p shop.

If your phone has Bluetooth capability and so does your laptop you can site the phone in the best reception position (10m) which can help in pore signal areas

Hope that helps

Heres a link to a list of HSDPA phones, I'm not sure if all of them are Class 6 but you can check the list to see if your existing phone is on it. there are 7 pages to view

Link Removed

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back