Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
I'm looking somewhere "safe" note the way i use that word loosely , as no where is safe
to store scanned copies of the likes of passports etc so we could access them in an emergency if needed while away in the MH.
whats my best option.... ohh btw did i mention it must be free :D :D

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Under the bed.

#cybersafe

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Mine are on my phone and on a laptop.

Encrypted.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
If you use an Android device just scan and save as .jpg files and back them up to Google photos. There are many other cloud type options but this route is easy. And free. :)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
one simple but fairly secure way is to register a domain name and pay to host it. You can use the site for a blog or photos etc. but upload the private documents after securing with a password using winrar etc. then save a direct link to the documents, nobody else will see them or know they even exist in your webspace. you can then access in any browser

Vanman

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 12, 2016
Runcorn
Funster No
MH
Roadscout R PVC
Exp
March 2017
If you had a network storage device on your home system, you may be able to leave a password protected port open to access all your stuff remotely. Another security risk, but as you say nothing is 100% safe especially if it's held remotely on somebody elses server - or the cloud as they like to sell it. Of course we could have ham and eggs for breakfast, if we had ham ... and eggs ;)

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Under the bed.

#cybersafe
But the bed will be my MH , which will most likely ok been stolen at the time I would need the back up copies :)
Thanks

Mine are on my phone and on a laptop.

Encrypted.
Idd be worried if I kept them on my phone then I lost my phone or it got stolen.
But this looks the best option so far.

What about emailing them to yourself ?

KISS - keep it simple stupid

(no offence intended)
Another possible option.. how long does "unread mail" stay on a server before it gets deleted . Or does it just stay there untill picked up by the client ?

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
It's there until you delete it.
Make a separate folder to move it to and keep it there with scans of all your important docs.
Available from anywhere
clear.png

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Another possible option.. how long does "unread mail" stay on a server before it gets deleted . Or does it just stay there untill picked up by the client ?

It can be both. My main email downloads off the server, stores locally and erases the server. There is a setting so I can leave it on the server.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Dropbox is about the best thing to use.

It's accessible anywhere in the world on any device as long as you have an internet connection, it's secure as long as you follow proper password behaviour and it isn't likely to be deleted by mistake or by server maintenance as an email could be regardless of what settings you choose.

The above would also apply to almost any other cloud based service - iCloud, GoogleDrive or MS OneDrive would be other options.

Dropbox is free up to 16GB so you have plenty of space. If you need more then just register another free account with a different email address. A friend of mine has about 20 so far.

You can also get an app for whatever flavour of device you prefer for ease of access.

Personally I don't think keeping stuff like that, or anything else important, on a single physical device of any description is a good idea. If you lose or break the device then you're knackered.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
I'd concentrate on making the MH unstealable asa British citizen you don't need a passport to enter the UK, ( you need one to leave though? ) just need to be able to prove who you are.(y)

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Is it ??? I've only got a measly 2.5GB free - after that they want £79 for "Premium".

To be honest that's what I thought it was but if you Google Dropbox Free then they claim that you can get 16GB.

It might be something like bonus space for inviting friends or something like that I suppose.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
To be honest that's what I thought it was but if you Google Dropbox Free then they claim that you can get 16GB.

It might be something like bonus space for inviting friends or something like that I suppose.
Yes, that's it. Basic 2GB free, then extra space for jumping through hoops - but the 16GB is only achieved if you sign up 32 others at 500mb bonus each time.

Anyway, all that is irrelevant to the OP
2GB is plenty for documents, some photos or Pdf files.
You can get apps for your phone or tablet to sync your files.
You can share your folders or specific files with someone else eg a partner, so if you lose all your gadgets, they still have access.

Dropbox does seem to be a simple offsite backup solution, accessible anywhere from any computer - secure as long as your password is unique & strong
I guess if you're worried about Dropbox or any other cloud service being hacked you could always "zip" the folder & protect that with yet another password.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Ive got 50gb on my dropbox for free ,, only used 126mb ... so far lol,,, i am sure i got like 50gb free at some time ,,possibly something to do with an offer.
i turned on that two step verification last night for drop box,, that means you must enter the 6 digit number that gets texted to your phone.
yet the app on my phone never needed it ,so i thought that was a bad idea , and deleted the app.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I use dropbox extensively. I use Two-Step Verification this makes it as safe as it can be. When travelling I ensure that scanned copies of licenses, passports, insurance, tickets etc are uploaded to Dropbox and for additional security the files are individually password protected. I have good quality colour prints of all those documents, and they are kept in the glove box. The originals hidden away unfindable in the van. (y)

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
Ive got 50gb on my dropbox for free ,, only used 126mb ... so far lol,,, i am sure i got like 50gb free at some time ,,possibly something to do with an offer.
Samsung I bet... ;)
When I was looking at why I only had a couple of gigs when @NickNic suggested 16gb, I came across a hack for the "Samsung Offer".

Now have to find out about this 2 step verification... I use it with PayPal.
Not that the files I have there need security.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
Try Evernote, you can sync between your phone and your laptop so you have access everywhere and if you only have the basic version its free. Your notes are spread into notebooks which you create yourself as you wish, there is also a free app called scrabble which allows you to scan anything into evernote. I use this to scan receipts which s very handy since you always have them on hand is case of dispute.

roamingman

Banned
Mar 14, 2014
Angus
Funster No
MH
Coach build
Exp
2012, tents, caravan. 1990
How about sending to a close relative who could email it to you if needed? :)

Thats what I do, do not trust any device you could lose it it can get broken, and what happens when you can not get the interweb, I make 6 copies have 5 children so thay each get a copy, and I have one to hide.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Try Evernote, you can sync between your phone and your laptop so you have access everywhere and if you only have the basic version its free. Your notes are spread into notebooks which you create yourself as you wish, there is also a free app called scrabble which allows you to scan anything into evernote. I use this to scan receipts which s very handy since you always have them on hand is case of dispute.
i actually looked at evernot within the last hr after seeing that the you tube blogger from "less junk more journey" used it , but as soon as i seen it was like 49.99 to upgrade it ,, i closed it :D :D
can you "get by" with the free version of it ?
also with that app "scrabble" do you need a scanner or does it turn your phone into a scanner ?

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
i actually looked at evernot within the last hr after seeing that the you tube blogger from "less junk more journey" used it , but as soon as i seen it was like 49.99 to upgrade it ,, i closed it :D :D
can you "get by" with the free version of it ?
also with that app "scrabble" do you need a scanner or does it turn your phone into a scanner ?

First, sorry for the mistake. It's "scannable" my autocorrect was on. Second. Yes for what you describe you could be fine with the free version. I have the paid one which I think was around half of the cost you mentioned,but I have many hundreds of records including letters, utility bills, receipts, and quite lengthy recipes with pictures. I also keep a notebook with pictures of Aires and descriptions so my needs are far greater than the basic version. Your quote of cost was for the top of the range I think, and even with all my entries I don't need that. I cannot compare the cost with Dropbox as I don't use that but I expect the cost is similar. If you are an apple user you could consider iCloud as a store for your documents which may be cheaper

Edit. Evernote plus is the one I use £19.99 per year

Last edited:

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
I use GOOGLE DRIVE to store those and other information I need. Can access anywhere but need Internet which is usually available anywhere now.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
I have dropbox and also use google drive a lot.
Handy to have stuff in the cloud as you can then pull down to phone/tablet/pc when needed and nothing to crash or loose.

OP
OP
Bart

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Thanks all , ill think saying as i have got 50gb on dropbox ill use it with encrypted zipped files. and also maybe keep some in an e.mail account somewhere.

Langtoftlad

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 12, 2011
Langtoft, South Lincs
Funster No
MH
WildAx Aurora FB [PVC]
Exp
Since 2015
One can get too paranoid :whistle:.
What you originally wanted was a reasonably secure place to put copies of your travel documents in the extremely unlikely event of them being physically stolen.
The Dropbox solution password protected of a password protected zip file is probably more security than you really need & has the advantage of being accessible from any internet connected device - such as a copper's terminal.
Just make sure your passwords are memorable & secure.

Passwords:
I like the system which gives a unique but memorable password for each website or file
split a six digit memorable number eg dob or phone number.
In the middle is the first three letters (or second or last) of the website you're logging onto.
So password to here could be
123mot456 or 654Mot321
As long as you remember the formula, you can have a unique secure memorable password for every site.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back