Free Member
Sep 25, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
Camper
Exp
Hi,

The trips going well so far, we've been to Bakio, San Juan chapel and Gurnica and now at a busy n wet San Sebastian

Any advice on the following would be greatly appreciated

We are most probably going to return to the uk (north west) in December and dont know wether to book a ferry from France, Holland or take the tunnel, I like the look of the Amsterdam to Hull ferry as it would only leave a short ish drive back to the north west. Which would you advise is best and would we need to book in advance?
Thanks.

Apr 27, 2016
Manchester
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
Since the 80s
If you're considering Amsterdam to Hull, there's also Zeebrugge to Hull. That's nearer if you're coming from France.

Although I quite like driving, I must admit the prospect of 300 miles of M25/M1/M6 doesn't exactly brighten my day either.

SWMBO books a few days in advance on the internet. You're very unlikely not to get a place if you just turn up, but it's quite a lot more expensive. Also you have to book a cabin, and the cheaper ones may all be taken.

For the longer crossing, take enough to keep you entertained, otherwise it can be a bit boring. Take chargers for phones and ipad/laptop. Sockets in the cabin are standard French round 2-pin, and you can buy a UK adapter in the shop on board if you haven't got one. And don't forget to switch off the fridge if it's on gas or automatic.

Upvote 0

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Much more expensive if you just turn up. Cheapest deals are usually online.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Mar 8, 2016
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2009
Why not do like we do. We also live in the NW but travel Caen to Portsmouth. Nice 6 hour crossing then break our journey home in U.K. Have found a couple of cracking sites in Oxford/Banbury area for nice shower or tea out. Next day just a short journey home so feel less tired. There's always the temptation to land in U.K. Then feel you have to get home in one go,end up feeling totally like you need another holiday, that's why we now do it this way.

Upvote 0
Sep 26, 2013
Market Rasen
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2003
There is no Amsterdam to Hull ferry, that's either Rotterdam or Zeebrugge.
There is Amsterdam to Newcastle

Upvote 0
OP
OP
Birtha

Birtha

Free Member
Sep 25, 2016
Uk
Funster No
MH
Camper
Exp
Thats not a bad idea Madmag
Thanks Mike
Will keep an eye on the prices and book closer to the time.

Upvote 0

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I like the look of the Amsterdam to Hull ferry as it would only leave a short ish drive back to the north west.
Thanks.

Take your pick, lots of miles to Rotterdam/Zeebruge ( you'll find Amsterdam a bit lacking in car ferries ) or you drive up England.

As suggested, Caen to Portsmouth works well, we've done this a few times.

Always book in advance, even 24 hours, to save money.

Upvote 0

Mickrik

Free Member
Jul 3, 2016
Cannock, Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Auto-Trail Apache 634
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi There,

Dieppe - Newhaven crossing is quite good at 4 hours and considerably cheaper than Caen, again book online first and take a break in Sussex or Berkshire

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back