OK, so got the bike, still thinking about the trailer....... (1 Viewer)

Chaumo

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
A few years
... but should I get a cover for it when it is being towed? Does the wind just rip them to shreds? How do you fasten them? Any suggestions welcome. It is a Honda SH300 and I would like to keep it in the same condition it is now. Thanks.

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
I see no reason to have a cover. Do you have a cover when riding it?

OP
OP
Chaumo

Chaumo

Free Member
Apr 21, 2015
Gloucestershire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
A few years
That's silly! I'd not be able to ride it with a cover on

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
A decent full width mudflap across the rear of the Motorhome will keep most off..

Unless a cover fits like a glove it will blow about and rub the paintwork.. :(

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
As old mo says it WILL definitely rub the paint,I have experimented with the scooter covered on a long winter trip with bungees tightening the flapping cover but surprisingly still made some minor marks.
As Yorick put in his only way :unsure: it only takes half an hour to give it a good wash off on arrival.
However I do keep my bikes under cover and connected to an Optimate when not in use,when at home of course Yorick!!

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I've been thinking about this and I've decided that a box trailer would be ideal for us as I could carry/store other gear down the side/in front of the bike and keep everything clean and dry.
As for strapping down its a must to secure the front wheel in a "carrier" of some sort (check out purpose built ones) and pull forwards with straps over the ends of the handlebars incorporating a loop round the front brake to hold it on the two straps on the rear also pulling down and forwards. Never rely on just one strap to do both sides as if it snaps/comes undone you could have the bike fall over and receive a big bill to fix it. (y)

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Make sure you get the front wheel properly locked and pull the bike forwards with the straps ;)

image.jpeg

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
Once the front wheel drops into the channel, I just use straps each side of swinging arm :)

PhilG

Free Member
Mar 8, 2016
leicester
Funster No
MH
euramobil 810
Exp
since birth
Do not use the front brake to hold the bike . Its ok at a push if you have no alternative, but for regular use , use a proper clamp.

And a decent ramp too... unless the trailer already has one...as that thing has the ground clearance of a snake.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back