Motorhome in France (1 Viewer)

Apr 29, 2014
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Chieftain
Exp
Since 2004
Has anyone experience of moving to France and keeping your motorhome and registering it to their bearing in mind a English auto trail with habitation door on left and tag axle 4.5 tonne I know this is long shot but maybe someone will know

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
Tried to do my autotrail scout , forget it!! Did my car no problem but the camper was a different story.

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Did ours. A fair bit of paperwork but worth it but was lhd

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
its almost impossible . might even be impossible .
when i had my vw garage several customers and friends moved to france . usually it ended up us going over . bringing their camper back and selling it for them here .
even vans with side doors on uk side . some even volunteered to have the side door welded up but the french wouldnt accept even that.
take the easy way sell here buy there.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
We did it! Ours was only 3.5te though.
Dead easy, first get a ceftificate of conformity. Then a CT French MOT. Then take all papers to prefecture including certificate of conformity, V5, passports, CT and any other you think they might want.
Take copies for them.
Only problem i can think of is ad ig is over 3.5 they might send you to drire (French Vosa) who will examine it.

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
its almost impossible . might even be impossible .
when i had my vw garage several customers and friends moved to france . usually it ended up us going over . bringing their camper back and selling it for them here .
even vans with side doors on uk side . some even volunteered to have the side door welded up but the french wouldnt accept even that.
take the easy way sell here buy there.

Absolute bollocks sorry!
Side door is on was scrapped years ago for example!

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
And
We did it! Ours was only 3.5te though.
Dead easy, first get a ceftificate of conformity. Then a CT French MOT. Then take all papers to prefecture including certificate of conformity, V5, passports, CT and any other you think they might want.
Take copies for them.
Only problem i can think of is ad ig is over 3.5 they might send you to drire (French Vosa) who will examine it.
ours was over 3.5 tonnes so is doable

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
Absolute bollocks sorry!
Side door is on was scrapped years ago for example!
well you can be right . i only know several had problems .
times do change .
mind i always thought it should be possible .
good on you if you did it.
many cant be doing with any hassle .
i dont mind ,i get fun out of arguing with authority.
be nice if its changed .

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
well you can be right . i only know several had problems .
times do change .
mind i always thought it should be possible .
good on you if you did it.
many cant be doing with any hassle .
i dont mind ,i get fun out of arguing with authority.
be nice if its changed .

As said Alan ours was sub 3.5 might make a difference. Ours was dead easy but secret is do the research take everything the need and owt you think they might. Take copies to give them, they can have a copier next to them but will not do it!
Biggest thing is cert of conformity. After I Think 2008 it encompasses the whole vehicle, habitation and chassis. Get one from motorhome manufacturer! Some charge Rapido did not.
Beat them with knowledge!

Thanks for not taking offence!

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
As said Alan ours was sub 3.5 might make a difference. Ours was dead easy but secret is do the research take everything the need and owt you think they might. Take copies to give them, they can have a copier next to them but will not do it!
Biggest thing is cert of conformity. After I Think 2008 it encompasses the whole vehicle, habitation and chassis. Get one from motorhome manufacturer! Some charge Rapido did not.
Beat them with knowledge!

Thanks for not taking offence!
its ok.
i packed in my garage in 98. times do change . but i know some that moved to brittany later on and still ended up sending m,homes back for sale .
some actually bought french vans and later moved back to uk and are amazed how easy uk is to register foreign vehicles .
think many just gave in too early . i could never see why it couldnt be done but as i say if i moved over it would be fun . be interesting to know how they would cope with my mini artic pulling a living van . its all plating and testing exempt here . ha ha .

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
We put our 3.5 tonne into French system, but as has been said you do need a complete certificate of conformity from Autotrail including cab and habitation and possibly gas system. It will cost upwards of 300 euros at the prefecture and you will need a certificate from the French taxation department and as said a French CT ( mot ) Oh and proof that all the VAT etc was paid in full in the country of purchase

As with everything in France there is lots of paperwork and patience and a smile, try to get cross with them and forget it

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I think if the van is LHD & hab door is on the right it can be done. They don't like the hab door on the left as it opens into the road!

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
It does not matter! This rule was scrapped some years ago!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back