Question for anyone been to Mediterranean Spain (July August) time. (1 Viewer)

Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
I'm thinking about spec'ing up a new Motor home and thinking of habitation air con. I understand the pros / cons, like can be noisey, need to be plugged in etc.

Some Funsters here say just open the windows and get some air through.

The question is, do you get bombarded with flies and mozzies around July / August time.

I'm thinking I might be able to negotiate a good deal at the NEC but I don't want to waste money if most people cope without air con.

Cliff

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
We have used the air con in Croatia where the electric is not metered, but in Spain this July/August we never used it due to the electric being metered at 2kW per day, you soon rack up a big electric bill (as I found out in the first month) We found it okay with a fan on during the evenings (bedtime). There were a few mossies during the day but mainly during dusk and dawn, but we have flyscreens, which we kept closed. It is nice to have air con but not essential.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
How about you try with a decent fan first - you can always get air con fitted later on.
@eddievanbitz fits the Dometic one, which has a 'soft start ' featuture to help prevent tripping ehu
We hardly ever use our air con - but wouldn't be without it, especially when its 40 deg outside.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

H

Hagstrom

Deleted User
I respect Cliffdale's right to go to Spain anytime he likes - but June/July/August are simply too hot for me.

We managed once in Italy in 40 degrees we didn't have aircon then but used a portable fan and managed. At Altanharra, (Scotland) in 25degrees this summer, though, we put the aircon on because of the midges and were grateful for it.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I'm thinking about spec'ing up a new Motor home and thinking of habitation air con. I understand the pros / cons, like can be noisey, need to be plugged in etc.

Some Funsters here say just open the windows and get some air through.

The question is, do you get bombarded with flies and mozzies around July / August time.

I'm thinking I might be able to negotiate a good deal at the NEC but I don't want to waste money if most people cope without air con.

Cliff

What part of the Spanish med are you planning on visiting?

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
To me anything that requires an EHU severely restricts the use of a Motorhome.
We have a Fantastic Vent don't have any problems with night time temps in the 30's. We set the vent to extract then with either the rooflight over the bed or side windows on vent we get a nice cooling breeze flowing over the beds and when the van cools down the thermostat in the vent turns it off.

Reactions: JJ
Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
My van has an air-con device fitted on each door :)

transit02_front_wwinder.jpg

OP
OP
Cliffdale
Jul 4, 2016
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
V-Line 636 Sport
@Boringfrog

I'm retired but my Mrs is stuck with term time holidays. We like it hot and sunny, the sea, and I speak Spanish- (sort of)! Love harbours, and the coast.

Nothing planned yet but I would like to see Barcelona area then head West along the coast.

When I finally have a MH, I will be asking best places to stay on the Med Coast! For now, I am creating a specification list ready to give dealers whilst at the NEC

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
@Boringfrog

I'm retired but my Mrs is stuck with term time holidays. We like it hot and sunny, the sea, and I speak Spanish- (sort of)! Love harbours, and the coast.

Nothing planned yet but I would like to see Barcelona area then head West along the coast.

When I finally have a MH, I will be asking best places to stay on the Med Coast! For now, I am creating a specification list ready to give dealers whilst at the NEC
I persuaded my other half to retire @ 40, I was 44 when I handed my notice in, that was in 2007, never looked back. Get the Missus talked around. :)

Reactions: f6c

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
@Boringfrog

We've been to the coast above Barcelona in July & August and it was warm at night but nothing excessive so windows / vents open and a fan would be sufficient.

Heading west along the N Coast? You are possibly as likely to need aircon in England as you would there ... ie. very unlikely. You'll have a few harbours, nice bays and coastlines but it won't be very hot. (28 may be 30 max, often around 20, maybe down to 17 .... rather like southern England.

If you were going further south than Barcelona, you may find that it gets hotter and drier around Benidorm / Murcia - up to 35oC (not certain about humidity levels) and then down to Andalucia where you really would enjoy the benefits of aircon in August but it isn't a nice time of year to be there; very hot (35-40oC) and it can be very humid.

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
We've been to the coast above Barcelona in July & August and it was warm at night but nothing excessive so windows / vents open and a fan would be sufficient.

Heading west along the N Coast? You are possibly as likely to need aircon in England as you would there ... ie. very unlikely. You'll have a few harbours, nice bays and coastlines but it won't be very hot. (28 may be 30 max, often around 20, maybe down to 17 .... rather like southern England.

If you were going further south than Barcelona, you may find that it gets hotter and drier around Benidorm / Murcia - up to 35oC (not certain about humidity levels) and then down to Andalucia where you really would enjoy the benefits of aircon in August but it isn't a nice time of year to be there; very hot (35-40oC) and it can be very humid.
That's outside temperatures, a motorhome can get unbearable and inside temperatures can stay in the high 20's even 30's overnight, unless parked under shade all day.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
That's outside temperatures, a motorhome can get unbearable and inside temperatures can stay in the high 20's even 30's overnight, unless parked under shade all day.

Thank you for adding that; I wasn't clear in my answer. It isn't a nice time of year to visit much of Spain in a MH. We were looking at going to the Murcia region this summer but stayed in the North instead. My boys would not have coped in our MH during the day time, let alone when sleeping in what would have felt like an oven at night.

Aug 4, 2013
Oop North
Funster No
MH
None now šŸ˜¢
Exp
Dont forget silver screens a great aid to keeping van cooler or hotter. Personally we can both really struggle without air con when it is really hot.

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
There will be a few nights when you really wish you had it, but - noisy, heavy, expensive to buy and run.
Only work if you're sitting in the van with all the windows and doors closed, not the best experience if you're in a nice place!!! Chances are, you'll be outside during the day - under some shade.
We live in southern Spain, and in the summer it rarely drops below 30 even at night. With the windows and doors open and a fan running we have been fine ( with the odd exception) so weigh up the pros and cons. We don't have air on, and have decided not to bother.
Overall, I wouldn't bother. Keep hydrated, and take a cool shower before bed, all good !

And if you struggle to sleep, you obviously haven't drunk enough lol!

Sep 12, 2016
Chesterfield England Tellus 3
Funster No
MH
Lunar Roadstar 800
Exp
6 years
OK
We have done Med France and Spain for years so without air con in our caravan (M/H coming soon)
We just open the windows and close the fly screens use a Fan (which uses a lot less electric than Air Con) and get an electric fly bat and get a large awning so you don't need to go inside in the daytime, and drink plenty of non alcoholic drinks

Flies you will get but if you choose a site well away from STAGNANT water mosquitos will be minimal but plenty of repellant (I like two types Avon Skin so Soft or Jungle Formula )

A good tip is that watch the locals the Spanish tend to siesta around 12-4 then eat Dinner around 8-10pm and don't head to bed until gone midnight when the temperature dips

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back