How soon do you book your crossing to France? (1 Viewer)

Muddibootz

Free Member
Jan 4, 2016
North Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest
Exp
since 1994
So that we can be sure to get our leave approved, we always book it months in advance. I usually book the ferry/tunnel at around the same time. We never travel in the peak season. Years ago it seemed a bit cheaper to book early and more expensive last minute but it doesn't seem that way now. How soon before crossing do you book?

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
The last two years we have had a Frequent Traveler package with Eurotunnel so can book 24hrs ahead.
Up until then we used to cross with P&O, Dover/Calais.
I really couldn't see any difference in price between trying to book weeks/months ahead or booking a couple of days ahead.
It seemed that as long as you booked at least 48hrs ahead the price was the same. After 48hrs the last minute price was much higher.
As long as you can be a little flexible with day and time I can't see the benefit of booking months ahead unless you have to have a particular day/time.

Richard.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Usually two or three months ahead for our Tunnel crossing.

As we use Tesco vouchers cost is not our main concern, rather getting the best crossing.

If anyone is thinking of using Tesco vouchers for the first time you must book your return crossing at the same time. They cannot be used for single trips starting in France.

We book our return crossing but accept that we may change it later, while in France, so we can keep our costs to a minimum. Otherwise the return crossing has to be paid for using actual money! :eek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:
R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
I'll be booking all of my 2017 trips shortly.
Use Channel Tunnel 'Frequent Traveler' which offers total flexibility.
We never decide where we're going until the last minute, as we tend to follow the weather. But I like to get my crossings booked, so that I know I'm going.
Helps keep me sane on those dull English winter days.

May 23, 2013
Not on the Coast East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B504
Exp
Since 2013
Again we generally get the Chunnel frequent traveller and book Easter, half-term etc and then change as/when required. For the beginning of the school hols in July we booked back in Feb. However we have found if the dates/times are not available to keep looking as they change fairly frequently.

Feb 6, 2013
Mirfield West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 680FB
Exp
Since 2012
I have never been to France in my MH before so I am a little nervous. I want to book now for next Easter, leaving just before the school hols start and returning a few days after they end. I will be travelling down from Yorkshire so will look to stay overnight somewhere near Folkestone. I am a little worried about the return journey, as I did read a story on here somewhere that a man found three migrants in his van, and they had got in by forcing a window. I travel solo so any advice would be really gratefully received.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Usually as soon as we know when we're going.

Nothing in the diary for 2017 yet :(

denisejoe

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 6, 2014
Warden isle of sheppy
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
I have never been to France in my MH before so I am a little nervous. I want to book now for next Easter, leaving just before the school hols start and returning a few days after they end. I will be travelling down from Yorkshire so will look to stay overnight somewhere near Folkestone. I am a little worried about the return journey, as I did read a story on here somewhere that a man found three migrants in his van, and they had got in by forcing a window. I travel solo so any advice would be really gratefully received.
For you overnight you could try Canterbury P&R, New Dover Road. If you arrive after 4pm it will cost you £4; if before 4pm it will be £6.

I wouldn't worry about coming back from France but arrange to travel in daylight hours.

Denise

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Usually two or three months ahead for our Tunnel crossing.

As we use Tesco vouchers cost is not our main concern, rather getting the best crossing.

If anyone is thinking of using Tesco vouchers for the first time you must book your return crossing at the same time. They cannot be used for single trips starting in France.

We book our return crossing but accept that we may change it later, while in France, so we can keep our costs to a minimum. Otherwise the return crossing has to be paid for using actual money! :eek:
Not correct you can use them for single trip but as stated you cannot book from French side using vouchers. We usually book one way as we are flexible about returning so use our vouchers one way you still get good value.

Last edited:
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Already booked Le Havre crossing for July 2017.

two

Aug 4, 2011
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
A-Class Fiat
This year, one week beforehand.
But I took three attempts, for some reason, and did not notice that the date of the outward trip had defaulted to the first available passage (next day). A week later we had to pay almost twice as much for an "instant" trip and that was, supposedly, after discounting the actual price by what we had already paid. So the 'full' price can be as much as three times what an advanced ticket may cost. We should've re-booked for the following day and stayed somewhere overnight.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Booked out tunnel crossing for end of Nov couple of weeks ago and on checking today the costs would have been roughly £20 more each way had we booked this week so they are dearer the nearer you leave it to departure date.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Not correct you can use them for single trip but as stated you cannot book from French side using vouchers. We usually book one way as we are flexible about returning so use our vouchers one way you still get good value.

This might simply be my wording in the original post. I meant that you can only use them both ways if you book your return at the same time.

You can certainly use them to book a single trip but it must start in U.K.

As a U.K. Resident you cannot use them for a single trip starting in France.

Even one way, the saving is worthwhile.

Dec 29, 2007
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1996
You will be fine. Just don't overnight on motorway service areas. Also best not to leave your motorhome unattended on motorway services. Difficult for you as I and a friend travel together so we go separately to the shop etc. If you overnight away from big cities you should be fine.
Chap had left his mh at services I guess to eat etc and so mh unattended.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Don't worry about being borded by immigrants when you return plan to stay at an aire a short way from the tunnel then you can drive straight to the tunnel for your return trip we usually stay at Wissant it's only 20 mins away and no immigrants around.there are lots of Aires you can use as I'm sure others will be recommended.

adonisito

Free Member
Oct 8, 2016
bognor regis
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano 675G
Exp
10 years
Yes, Wissant is ideal, if a little busy. We stayed at Stella Plage last week. Very nice it was too off season.

Feb 6, 2013
Mirfield West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero 680FB
Exp
Since 2012
Thank you so much everyone for your advice; I would be totally lost without you guys. Keep it coming as I need all the help I can get.

Jul 29, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL A class
Exp
since 2011
Thank you so much everyone for your advice; I would be totally lost without you guys. Keep it coming as I need all the help I can get.
Julie make sure you have got either Camper contact App or all the Aires books from Vicarious Books they are invaluable.

adonisito

Free Member
Oct 8, 2016
bognor regis
Funster No
MH
Burstner Aviano 675G
Exp
10 years
Or Park 4 Night app. It's the French one but translates and works off line if you have the paid version. In fact, it's our favourite at the moment as the reviews are added daily, so we were able to check a review of an aire the day before we got there in many cases.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
If using Newhaven Dieppea couple a couple of months in advance as a lot dearer nearer the date. Dover doesn't appear to make much odds.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
If you prefer a campsite rather than an aire close to Calais then have a look at http://www.camping-les-erables.fr/?lang=en
Quite close to Calais in the village of Escalles, peaceful and very safe, it's run by a charming older couple and is only €10 per night (extra if you want lecky and shower).
Lovely views and sunsets across the channel and you can order bread for the morning.

Richard.

D

deleted-member02

Deleted User
We always use the tunnel and have noticed it getting busier each year.
They only release the timetable nine months in advance, which limits how far ahead you can book.
We've recently booked our UK departure for July 2017

Easyliving

Free Member
Dec 4, 2012
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
If using Newhaven Dieppea couple a couple of months in advance as a lot dearer nearer the date. Dover doesn't appear to make much odds.

I have mentioned this before but don't forget DFDS will give you 20% off the Newhaven - Dieppe fare if you are over 60 and book by phone.

Paul

Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
And me for June. .lol also if anyone is looking for Brittany ferries discount code give me a shout .Roy
same here used a friend's code, big saving:D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back