Assistance re. installing a third battery (well used) (1 Viewer)

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Hi All,

I would appreciate honest opinions re a thought I've had prior to our 4 mth. trip to the Continent (which commences on the 14th of this month)

Our Engine Battery has been showing signs of old age and, if left unused for a period of time, Say 4 weeks has a voltage of about 12 volts. The van still starts but it is obvious that it needs renewing.

I've got a new battery on order but it occurs that I could incorporate the 'old' battery into the already fitted 2 x 110amp hr batteries already fitted to the habitation side. They are in turn connected to a solar system on the roof.

Here comes the question. Would the addition of the 88 Amp Hr battery to the already fitted two batteries be of use in increasing the 'bank' of available Amp hrs or would the well used battery have a derogatory effect on the two batteries already there. It wouldn't be a permanent fixture but something to add during this coming winter.

Over to you. All comments gratefully received.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
As the engine battery is old it wont do your twin battery bank any favours....it will reduce efficiency.
My advise is bin it....or take to your local scrapyard, they are worth around £8 as scrap.

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Thanks PJ,

Being a time served Tyke, it is indelibly printed on my wallet how much a battery is worth.
Thanks for your prompt reply.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
running a battery down in four weeks isnt necessarily a sign that the battery is poor it depends on what your current draw is from stuff like radios and alarms when you think everything is off
if it still starts the van its possibly good

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Thanks for that Mitzy but I know the radio doesn't use any and the only alarm installed in the 'van is installed on the passenger seat when she sees how much diesel I put in the thing.
SWMBO has lived in Yorkshire so long, she has obtained Hon. native status and her pockets are fitted with hair trigger mantraps.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Hi All,

I would appreciate honest opinions re a thought I've had prior to our 4 mth. trip to the Continent (which commences on the 14th of this month)

Our Engine Battery has been showing signs of old age and, if left unused for a period of time, Say 4 weeks has a voltage of about 12 volts. The van still starts but it is obvious that it needs renewing.

I've got a new battery on order but it occurs that I could incorporate the 'old' battery into the already fitted 2 x 110amp hr batteries already fitted to the habitation side. They are in turn connected to a solar system on the roof.

Here comes the question. Would the addition of the 88 Amp Hr battery to the already fitted two batteries be of use in increasing the 'bank' of available Amp hrs or would the well used battery have a derogatory effect on the two batteries already there. It wouldn't be a permanent fixture but something to add during this coming winter.

Now, I'm the first to say that I know nothing about mechanical things but as far as I was aware (and I could be a million miles away), that engine batteries are completely different than leisure batteries. If they were the same or inter changeable, then why would you buy either. They'd be no difference. Personally if battery shows its weak, then for the cost, bin it and concerns over and cheaper to change now than when broken down due to battery say on a motorway services

OP
OP
Emmit

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Now, I'm the first to say that I know nothing about mechanical things but as far as I was aware (and I could be a million miles away), that engine batteries are completely different than leisure batteries. If they were the same or inter changeable, then why would you buy either. They'd be no difference. Personally if battery shows its weak, then for the cost, bin it and concerns over and cheaper to change now than when broken down due to battery say on a motorway services

I refer the honourable gentleman/lady to the comments I made, viz,

"I've got a new battery on order but it occurs that I could incorporate the 'old' battery into the already fitted 2 x 110amp hr batteries already fitted to the habitation side. They are in turn connected to a solar system on the roof."

I wasn't going to go away for four months and risk having to learn the Portuguese for" What's your best price for a 88Ah 771CCA Engine Battery John?"

I appreciate your concern, thank you.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
Hi All,

If you get your shelf a battery restoration charger
I think that battery will recuver OK I have recuverd six battery's this week
All pritty much functaning as thay should now.
De sulfachion converting the lead sulfate back in to sulfurick acids
And getting the electro light back in balance
Bill

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back