75 Years old – Travel insurance advice please (1 Viewer)

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
My annual Multi-trip Travel insurance has just run out and I now find that as I have just reached the tender age of 75 there are less Insurance companies willing to take a risk with me.

I have had a declared Heart problem for around the last three years and during that time have had no problems getting Travel insurance.

But the magic number of '75' seems to move the goalposts despite my health problem not appearing to be any worse.

If there are some of you aged 75 or over out there could you point me in the direction of an Insurance company or Broker who may be able to give me a reasonably priced quote for travel insurance.

Any help appreciated

OLD 2.jpg

Nov 3, 2013
Portugal
Funster No
MH
Fiat Ducato Auto Wildax
Exp
C/van since '73 .M/h.2009
Hi Keith.
I need just a bit more information,before i can offer any help,so. At 75 are you... Bent/Twisted,like the........." Chesterfield Spire ?"
Just a thought...........LOL!!!. Like the Spire,you could stand there for another million years,before that certain lady "Walks by",to lift the curse.So get in the m/home and DRIVE!
Tea Bag (Another doddering old sod)

Mar 27, 2014
Wickford, UK
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 1993
Opened a Nationwide Flex Plus account, annual worldwide travel insurance is included in the monthly £10 fee. We are aged 84 and 67 and had to pay extra (£150ish) for being over 70 and having cancer. Amazing value, paid £600 for two weeks to the Caribbean two years before. Another place to try is the Caraven Club's personal Red Pennant which seems to have no age limits, we had that last year (annual European) for about £100. Good luck!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
This only confirms what I said in another thread about health and travel insurance companies.. (n)

when you really need them the most, they are not interested..

if there is any risk of a claim, they don't want to know you ..they only want your money..

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
We have various health conditions - some won't quote at all for just one of them or something - have found a couple that will - but limited to 60 day trips.

Not found anybody to do longer trips to fit in between the usual - 6 monthly! - hospital appointments that I have been attending now since 1972 LOL - and the other thing that 'handily' - I happened to have diagnosed around the same time as one of my existing clinic dates so it all fits in nicely, LOL Not on the same day or anything but they are both 'fairly together'.

However insurers still don't want to play. I found one that was OK for me - but they don't touch the big C with a bargepole so won't insure Pete.

OP
OP
KeithChesterfield

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
Many thanks for the helpful replies.

I trawled through the ones suggested and have found that the C C Red Pennant travel insurance is the best price and cover for my medical condition and I'll be using them when I insure next week.

Again thanks

Mar 18, 2012
Loch Lomond Scotland
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2011
It's strange . . .I have just filled in the CC Red Pennant form for a quote to cover Europe, for Lynn and myself leaving 18/10/2016 returning 30/03/2017,
Without any questions regarding pre existing conditions etc, it gave me the ridiculous figure of £819.00 !,
What have other funsters found ????????????,
As this seems rather high, and again strange that there was no section to fill in regarding past medical history

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Opened a Nationwide Flex Plus account, annual worldwide travel insurance is included in the monthly £10 fee. We are aged 84 and 67 and had to pay extra (£150ish) for being over 70 and having cancer. Amazing value, paid £600 for two weeks to the Caribbean two years before. Another place to try is the Caraven Club's personal Red Pennant which seems to have no age limits, we had that last year (annual European) for about £100. Good luck!

I now use Nationwide,,,cost me an extra £70 to extend cover to 77 days multi trip,,BUSBY.

tonka

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 2, 2008
Cannock, Staffs
Funster No
MH
A class Burstner 800
Exp
Since 2000
It's strange . . .I have just filled in the CC Red Pennant form for a quote to cover Europe, for Lynn and myself leaving 18/10/2016 returning 30/03/2017,
Without any questions regarding pre existing conditions etc, it gave me the ridiculous figure of £819.00 !,
What have other funsters found ????????????,
As this seems rather high, and again strange that there was no section to fill in regarding past medical history

Come on Ken... !!!!!!!

You + Lynn + Benidorm all at the same time...... That's one hell of a risk for anyone to take..

:rofl::rofl:

OP
OP
KeithChesterfield

KeithChesterfield

Free Member
May 20, 2015
Stand Road Chesterfield
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2010
Just to update you on our Red Pennant Annual Insurance, with age and medical conditions as in first post, we paid £199 to cover both of us in July for the insurance with a maximum of 31 days for each holiday.

:france::france::france::france:

Reactions: DBK
Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Just to update you on our Red Pennant Annual Insurance, with age and medical conditions as in first post, we paid £199 to cover both of us in July for the insurance with a maximum of 31 days for each holiday.

:france::france::france::france:
I get 77 days as many times as i like a year for my £10 a month (also covers uk/european breakdown and some other things) plus £70 i paid for the increase from 30 to 77 days wit Natonwide,,BUSBY..

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
We rely on our Lloyds Bank account, will up to 80 years old.
There are a lot that do, and fail to update medical and circumstance changes yearly or as they happen
EU not such a problem, but I was relying on it for a US trip
Bank insurance is fraught with small print as I found out before I relied on it thankfully.
As an example a fall resulting in a broken leg can cost 50K + in the USA
If the side effects of medicine your taking for an in growing toe nail includes dizziness
you will have a fight on your hands and no cover
You declare a condition in good faith, and without notice your cover is restricted to EU only:Eeek:
Watch em like hawks all of em

G

Reactions: f6c

Neckender

Free Member
Oct 15, 2007
Neckend or North Wales.
Funster No
MH
VW T6.1Kombi day Van
Exp
Since 2004
We have just joined the CCC so that we could use their travel insurance.
Up to the age of 84, 90 days travel for me and Pat with health issues total cost was £224 plus the cost of joining £37.

John.

Chris CM

Free Member
Jan 28, 2019
S.E.Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Devon Aztec XL PVC
Exp
Since 2015
Just had a look on the CCC site and can’t find Travel Insurance under the Insurance tab. Can you give me a link? Thanks 👍

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
I'm 76, no health issues or medications and have health cover as one of the benefits with my N'wide FlexPlus account including Euro breakdown cover for all my 5 vehicles, loss of personal effects and more, all for £13.50 a month .

including...........

• Cutting your trip short due to Covid-19 or another pandemic for one of the ‘Cutting short your trip’ reasons listed in the policy terms and conditions.
• Emergency medical costs abroad if you need treatment for Covid-19 or another pandemic.

Last edited:

Top Hat

Free Member
Apr 6, 2018
Durham
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
8years
I'm 76, no health issues or medications and have health cover as one of the benefits with my N'wide FlexPlus account including Euro breakdown cover for all my 5 vehicles, loss of personal effects and more, all for £13.50 a month .

including...........

• Cutting your trip short due to Covid-19 or another pandemic for one of the ‘Cutting short your trip’ reasons listed in the policy terms and conditions.
• Emergency medical costs abroad if you need treatment for Covid-19 or another pandemic.
If over 70 with Nationwide plus insurance you have to pay £65 a year over 70 ungraded, if you haven't got this get it pronto or you may not be covered.

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
I contacted our local branch of Nationwide yesterday to enquire about their Flex Plus account.

They confirmed that as we are both 70+ there would be an annual supplement of £65.

The base period for overseas health insurance is 31 days anything longer attracts a supplement as does some existing health conditions.

The branch assistant was unable to help with specifics re the above paragraph but gave me a direct number for their travel insurance....

0800 051 0154

I couldn't get through at all yesterday ("All our operators are busy...")

As an aside (we already have breakdown with Safeguard) it was also confirmed that motorhomes 3500kgs + or 7metres + were not covered in their breakdown insurance.

I tried Moneysupermarket for travel insurance and of the 30 odd quotes ( 74 & 71 yrs, 1 Dec to 1 Mar, a couple of non accountable medical conditions, France & Spain) , the cheapest came back at £283 for the two of us. I think that's about 20% up on our 2019/2020 trip.

Incidentally, as soon as I entered Spain or France as a destination, a big red flag came up declaring that travel to these countries was advised against by UK Gov and we would not be covered it that was still the case on day of travel !!

Last edited:

Clickem

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Northumberland
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years
“The base period for overseas health insurance is 21 days”

I think that Nationwide Plus base period allowed abroad is 31 days, with the opportunity to pay for more days

Stonemags76

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2011
Derbyshire Dales
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleepers Warwick Duo
Exp
Full Time 2011-2013, now part timers!
Breakdown cover for Nationwide Flexplus is as follows

Motorhomes – 8 metres in length or 7.5 tonnes in weight

copied directly from our policy documents.

Dec 24, 2014
Hurstpierpoint. Mid Sussex.
Funster No
MH
Compass Navigator
Exp
Ever since lighting was by Calor gas.
The person at N'wide was ill-informed.

From the N'wide website today.

Vehicles must not exceed any of the following dimensions when fully loaded:

• Caravans and trailers – 8 metres in length (including A-frame)
  • Motorhomes – 8 metres in length or 7.5 tonnes in weight
  • All other vehicles – 7 metres in length, 2.3 metres in width, 3 metres in height or 3.5 tonnes in weight

Jan 2, 2015
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Burstner Solano t725
Exp
since 2014
The base period for overseas health insurance is 21 days”

I think that Nationwide Plus base period allowed abroad is 31 days, with the opportunity to pay for more days

My apologies again!! Original post edited:sleep:

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Just had a look on the CCC site and can’t find Travel Insurance under the Insurance tab. Can you give me a link? Thanks 👍
They are not doing Travel Insurance since they closed down the European Travel Service at the first lockdown last year

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back