Snipe Satellite on a PVC (Panel Van Conversion)roof (1 Viewer)

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Im thinking of buying the Snipe Sat system for the van and just wondered if any one had fitted one to a PVC, if so did the mounting plate that came with the dish do ok on the roof. I've not been up on the roof yet but imagine its ribbed rather than flat so that's why I'm asking the question as the plate says fits any flat surface.

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
i put the Snipe on ours Gerry, you have to be prepared to nudge it one way or tuther to suit the tidges but it was easy

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
If you look at the first photograph here you may be able to see the foot of my dish is bolted to a plate which is screwed to the top of the ridges. I am sure that would work for any other sort of dish. http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum/threads/slimline-100w-solar-panel-fit.124463/

Thanks for that looks like it should fit then.

i put the Snipe on ours Gerry, you have to be prepared to nudge it one way or tuther to suit the tidges but it was easy

Thanks Alan, how do you find the system we dont watch a great deal of tv when away so dont want to spend a fortune on a sat system.

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I can take some close up pictures if you want, just let me know. :)
The dish mounting that is!

laneside

Funster
Deceased RIP
Aug 14, 2009
Oradour sur Vayres
Funster No
MH
Rapido V66
Exp
nowhere near long enough
Thanks for that looks like it should fit then.

Thanks Alan, how do you find the system we dont watch a great deal of tv when away so dont want to spend a fortune on a sat system.

It has never let us down Gerry and it will lock straight onto Astra 2 here at the bottom of the Limousin and come to think of it we had no problem down at sisters below Bergerac. For details of further south then watch this space if it carries on raining like it has today

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
I've got a Snipe. (Haven't got a PVC). Can confirm that the mounting plate came in the pack with it. HOWEVER, I don't fix mine permanently to the roof - didn't want yet more holes and I won't have to sell it with the van. I just pop it on a table or pop it up onto the roof via the rooflight.

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I can take some close up pictures if you want, just let me know. :)
The dish mounting that is!
Thanks for the offer but I'm confident ill get it to fit after seeing your first pic.

Reactions: DBK
OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
It has never let us down Gerry and it will lock straight onto Astra 2 here at the bottom of the Limousin and come to think of it we had no problem down at sisters below Bergerac. For details of further south then watch this space if it carries on raining like it has today
Cheers Alan while work gets in the way we wont be making it to far south. We are heading to Chamonix this summer. Here was me thinking youd lost the title of soggies :D:D

OP
OP
lorger

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
I've got a Snipe. (Haven't got a PVC). Can confirm that the mounting plate came in the pack with it. HOWEVER, I don't fix mine permanently to the roof - didn't want yet more holes and I won't have to sell it with the van. I just pop it on a table or pop it up onto the roof via the rooflight.
We tend to wild camp a bit so wouldn't want the dish sitting free just in case we have to move or someone wants to borrow it :D

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
The Snipe is top of our wish list.... Never really managed to establish if they are ok if permanently left up on the roof ? I read somewhere the Snipe may not be suitable for this application and is better set up each time used but I dont want one taking up valuable space inside the van .

Opinions on this very welcome !

I think this device would be perfect for our PVC and even though we are not glued to the telly when we are away it would be nice to have the choice .

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
@Charlie
As you can see from my post above, I haven't fixed mine to the roof. That's just my choice. I choose the places that I place it on a table very carefully and certainly wouldn't leave it at that level overnight! I'm lucky that I can pop it up on the roof via my large rooflight and when not in use, I stow it in its case under one of my bench seats.

Being objective, the unit itself is relatively small, but with the case, it may be tight if you haven't much space. However, you could leave the case behind. The unit is very robust.

They are obviously meant to be fitted, otherwise they wouldn't provide a mounting plate. When permanently fitted, the profile on the roof is a bit higher than (say) an Oyster dish laid flat, but not as high as having a dome. Here's a pic of mine. You can just about see it (forward of the standard TV aerial).

I've had my Snipe for two years and think they're impressive. It automatically sorts out acquisition and skew - really easy to use. Once it's locked-on to the satellite, you can just remove the 12v feed so there's no power drain.

I've got good TV signals well down into France; however, like you, we're not glued to the telly. However, the wife likes to keep up with her soaps!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    235.7 KB · Views: 62

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
my snipe satalight will not pick up a signal in spain, it was working fine in the U.K last week, I have used astra2 and reset the system, still no joy, I have tried every sat number and searched for a T.V programme, still nothing, all I got to look at is men's magazines cant see the news or anything, I go crazy

hqdefault[1].jpg

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
That's because you need a very large satellite dish to pick up English TV in Spain, since they changed the footprints a couple of years ago

other members say they have no problems picking up a signal in Spain with snipe, this snipe came with MH and was fitted less than a year ago, the guy who fitted it had two six shooters on his hips and spurs, lucky my T.V plays DVD's so I will play them over and over

Attachments

• th[10].jpg
    th[10].jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 6

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
other members say they have no problems picking up a signal in Spain with snipe, this snipe came with MH and was fitted less than a year ago, the guy who fitted it had two six shooters on his hips and spurs, lucky my T.V plays DVD's so I will play them over and over
No problems picking up a signal in Spain BUT you will not get UK channels, you can get BBC News, CNN News, Bloomberg and a few other English news channels on Astra 1 or Hotbird. If you are lucky sometimes Frence& German channels show English films or series with their subtitles.

Jul 5, 2013
Tunbridge Wells, Tunbridge Wells, UK
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2013
No problems picking up a signal in Spain BUT you will not get UK channels, you can get BBC News, CNN News, Bloomberg and a few other English news channels on Astra 1 or Hotbird. If you are lucky sometimes Frence& German channels show English films or series with their subtitles.
Lenny

as I understand crabman's first post he was looking for Astra 2.

crabman

Free Member
Mar 31, 2016
Anglesey Wales
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
I have tried every satalight not a darn thing I have not got any channels to watch, my radio is DAB and they don't do it here I cant get the news unless I can get Wifi which is fine as long as it has a good signal, a dongle on my laptop is useless cant get a signal, threw away £10.00 to top that, well I plod on o_O

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back